Sansa Clip+ problems

I received my new Sansa Clip+ two days ago and experienced a number of problems.

1. I connected the phones in to listen to the installed music and the sound was spasmodic, going on and off. It appeared that the plug was not making a good connection and did not seem to seat securely.

2. The enclosed manual was for a different model so I downloaded the correct manual. Despite following the instructions I could not get the menu on the screen. I had a constant picture of earphones and the message “music”. I tried a number of things including holding the power button down for more than fifteen seconds to return to factory settings.

3. I was surprised to find I could not use Windows Explorer to move music files to the Sansa Clip+. I know it can be done using Media Player.  I was also surprised that when disconnecting from the PC, the Sansa was not shown on the “safely remove USB” facility.

I feel that my Sansa Clip+ is faulty and have requested a replacement. I appreciate that not being familiar with the product is probably partly contributing to the problem. Any observations would be much appreciated. 

@wickywise wrote:

I received my new Sansa Clip+ two days ago and experienced a number of problems.

1. I connected the phones in to listen to the installed music and the sound was spasmodic, going on and off. It appeared that the plug was not making a good connection and did not seem to seat securely.

The headphone jack is very tight on new players. Sometimes you have to twist and push the plug harder than you think you might have to to get it seated completely in the jack. It will loosen up with use.

1. The enclosed manual was for a different model so I downloaded the correct manual. Despite following the instructions I could not get the menu on the screen. I had a constant picture of earphones and the message “music”. I tried a number of things including holding the power button down for more than fifteen seconds to return to factory settings.

The players come with a Quick-Start Guide just to get you going. They are in no way a complete manual. They (the players) also come with a protective film over the screen to prevent scratches during manufacture and shipping that looks like the Main menu. Peel it off. There is a little tab (usually) in the upper right-hand corner to get it started. Yes, the Quick Start Guide should tell you this, but it doesn’t.

1. I was surprised to find I could not use Windows Explorer to move music files to the Sansa Clip+. I know it can be done using Media Player.  I was also surprised that when disconnecting from the PC, the Sansa was not shown on the “safely remove USB” facility.

You absolutely can use Windows Explorer to drag & drop (or copy & paste) files from your computer to the player. I don’t know where you got this mis-information but it is wrong. It is best to use MSC mode on the player (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) which allows your computer to see the player as any other ‘dumb’ flash drive or storage space. In this mode you will also see the “Safely Remove” icon in your system tray. MTP mode is only needed for DRM-encrypted files such as Rhapsody, Audible or some audio books you can ‘rent’ or ‘borrow’ from your local library. And never use the Auto Defect setting (which it is set to from the factory). It defaults to MTP mode, but can connect in either without your knowledge or permission.

I feel that my Sansa Clip+ is faulty and have requested a replacement. I appreciate that not being familiar with the product is probably partly contributing to the problem. Any observations would be much appreciated. 

There is nothing wrong with your player. All your problems are due to your unfamiliarity with the device. Welcome to the forum and I hope this gets you started on the right track. Feel free to browse, search or ask any other questions you may have. That’s why we’re here.  :smiley:

If you do switch to USB MSC mode, note that the sample songs put on the player by SanDisk were put on with the USB mode set to MTP mode.  Hence, if you switch the mode to MSC mode, your computer will not “see” the MTP mode songs (and any others you put on the player when it was set to MTP mode).

To get rid of this issue:  set the player to MTP mode; connect to your computer and transfer your content to your computer; delete the content from the player; disconnect the player, set it to USB MSC mode, and reconnect; and transfer your content back to the player Voila!  A 1-time issue.  

Thanks very much to both Tapeworm and Miikerman for your most helpful replies.

Of course I did notice the protective covering and assumed it was clear plastic. Every other protective covering I have encountered have allowed contents behind it to be seen. I feel really foolish now that the menu was probably there all the time but not visible.  

With regard to the headphone jack. I try never to be too heavy handed but applying reasonable pressure and only getting on/off sound, I then pushed the jack fully home which resulted in no sound. I withdrew it slightly and then got sound but not continuous.

As I admitted my inexperience with this device is party to blame for the problems. Rather naively I expected to open the box, drag and drop music and sit back and listen like I have done with other MP3 players. When I tried to drag and drop in Windows Explorer I got a red ring with a line through it.  

With regard to the manual, or users guide. It was referring to a player with an extra button on the side which appears to be an earlier model.

Thanks again to you both for highlighting the need for me to get more acquainted with the device and new terms such as MSC/MTP. I am waiting for a replacement player and this time I am sure with the help of this helpful forum I will get it working properly.  

@wickywise wrote:

With regard to the headphone jack. I try never to be too heavy handed but applying reasonable pressure and only getting on/off sound, _ I then pushed the jack fully home which resulted in no sound. I withdrew it slightly and then got sound _ but not continuous.

Then believe it or not, it STILL is not all the way in. But since it sounds like yo’ve already RMA’d it, you’ll know this when the new one comes.

Believe it or not, after familiarizing yourself with the player (which really does not take much time–the only “complications” I can think of are the MSC/MTP modes issue, and getting high volume (restricted if you choose the EU as your region, due to EU regualtions); oh, yes, and the front sticker and headphone jack new player items), it is smooth sailing.