Sansa Clip Not Working

For some inexplicable reason, my 2GB Sansa Clip doesn’t turn on. When I flick the power switch up, absolutely nothing happens. What make it even wierder is that whenever I plug my Sansa Clip to charge it, it charges as per normal, with the screen turning on and it shows the progress bar (approximately 3/4 charge), so it isn’t an issue with the screen or the battery. But as soon as i take it off the charger, it just turns off immediately (I mean immediately), and it only displays any sign of working when it is plugged in.  I have tried to put a new song on it to see if it would show the refresh database screen as I take it off the charger, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance 

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem!! My clip was bought just before xmas and worked ok for a while.I’m now experiencing the same thing as you. I have searched a number of forums and this seem to be a common problem. Can anybody tell us what we have to do to fix this???

@sam10 wrote:

For some inexplicable reason, my 2GB Sansa Clip doesn’t turn on. When I flick the power switch up, absolutely nothing happens. What make it even wierder is that whenever I plug my Sansa Clip to charge it, it charges as per normal, with the screen turning on and it shows the progress bar (approximately 3/4 charge), so it isn’t an issue with the screen or the battery. But as soon as i take it off the charger, it just turns off immediately (I mean immediately), and it only displays any sign of working when it is plugged in.  I have tried to put a new song on it to see if it would show the refresh database screen as I take it off the charger, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance 

I’m not sure the issue but here are a few things you can try:

Try an alternate USB cable in a different USB port if possible.

1)  perform a soft reset,  Slide the on switch all the way to the up most position and hold it there for 15 seconds.  The clip should turn off(if it shows anything).   Then you can release the switch after 15 seconds.    Then try turning it on normally.

2)  Forced MSC mode - power button “DOWN” in hold (orange showing), press and hold CENTER button while connecting USB cable (& don’t release CENTER button until unit is recognized). 

3) Check for file corruption on the Clip:  While in Forced MSC mode (see #2 above) then Right-click on the drive. Go to Properties/Tools tab/Error-checking tab, and then Check…   If there is an option to fix errors, check it. If you are asked whether to save bad files or chains, don’t.

Another way to do this is manually. Then: Start / Run and type in chkdsk G:/f . (Use the correct drive letter that represents the Sansa.) This will check the disc and ask you if you want to save corrupted chains. Don’t save them. 

4)  If the above doesn’t work, you can try formatting the Clip from windows, it will erase your songs on the clip and you will have to reload them.   Right click on the Clip’s icon under  Windows Explorer,  Select Format and it will erase the contents of the Clip.  Then turn it on and see if it will refresh the database.

If all else fails and if someone else doesn’t have an answer for you,  contact Sansas Support.  But if your clip gets fixed please report back what worked.

Cheers

Message Edited by niko_sama on 01-31-2009 09:09 AM

Search the forum for “broken battery wire”

For the issue of the clip only turning on when connected to the pc but not when unplugged:

I have found the issue for this problem and how to fix it (my specific issue anyway). The battery is connected to the motherboard of the device by three wires that are VERY delicate. the third, black ground wire on my sansa came loose. I had to re solder it to the board and it worked fine.

NOTE: This is a pretty delicate operation because of the size of the device. The easiest way to repair the connection is to remove the board from the plastic case to ensure you dont burn the case with the soldering iron. Be sure to take it apart over a table or area with a large surface. there are a few pecies that you may lose if they drop on to the floor and roll away.

If you consider this work to be too delicate or you are not skilled with a soldering iron email me and I can help fix it for you.

email stimpware@gmaildotcom

Another possibility is, use conductive epoxy to reconnect the wire. 

The first step “SOFT RESET” worked like a champ.  Thank you so much, I am my wife’s hero!!!

Display doent work. Plays OK.

@tfs3071 wrote:

Display doent work. Plays OK.

If your OLED display screen is burnt out, you’re pretty much hosed. Is it a Clip or Clip+? How old is it? Could it still be under warranty?

hello, i have a sansa clip and it doesnt turn on i hold the power button and nothing i try to turn it on with the charger and it still wont turn please help me than you.

@beasty wrote:

hello, i have a sansa clip and it doesnt turn on i hold the power button and nothing i try to turn it on with the charger and it still wont turn please help me than you.

Have you tried resetting it by holdinig the power button down for 20-30 secs? After holding the button down for that time, release it and then press it momentarily again to see if it will start up.