Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.18

Maybe It’s just me but after manually installing this firmware the transfer rate became very slow, more than 10 times slower than before: around 150-200KB/s (memory mass mode)

I have followed the instructions, but when I remove the Clip+ from the computer, the update does not start.

@greg_brown wrote:

I have followed the instructions, but when I remove the Clip+ from the computer, the update does not start.

Did you make sure to “extract” the downloaded .zip file? The file after extraction should have a .bin extenision. This is what you drop in the root directory on the player.

After unplugging from your computer, the unit might shut off. When you press the power button again to restart it, it will perform the f/w update.

hi, i recently tried using Rockbox but didnt like it so i tried switching back to the original firmware. i downloaded the latest version, formatted my player and tried installing it manually following the instructions. when i disconnect however it is saying file not found and plug usb cable. when i connect the player it the says Bootloader USB mode. can anyone help please? EDITED to say i did extract the file and it does read.bin

Some remnants of Rockbox are still there. Did you use the Rockbox Utility to un-install RB, or manually delete the .rockbox folder? How exactly did you format the player? That should have deleted it (and all your music as well), Are you sure you’re using the correct firmware for your player?

So do I really need to remove rockbox and all files on player in order to update Original Firmware? (mine is still 01.02.16A.)

I ask because I don’t see a root directory…I just dropped it directly into the device.

Hi, I’ve just updated my Sansa Clip + firmware from 1.01.16 (I think) to 1.02.18 and the ‘Volume’ choice for Normal or High setting under the System Settings had disappeared. The volume output now appears to have defaulted to the normal level which isn’t sufficient for my general use. I had mine set to High previously but now have no ability to change it. Why is this? Can I restore this setting/feature?

Owen 

@elliso wrote:

Hi, I’ve just updated my Sansa Clip + firmware from 1.01.16 (I think) to 1.02.18 and the ‘Volume’ choice for Normal or High setting under the System Settings had disappeared. The volume output now appears to have defaulted to the normal level which isn’t sufficient for my general use. I had mine set to High previously but now have no ability to change it. Why is this? Can I restore this setting/feature?

Owen 

When you update the firmware, the player will ask you to select your Region. If you chose Europe , there is a gov’t. mandated volume restriction imposed. To get around it, use the option Reset Factory Settings. It will ask you for your Region again. This time choose North America or Rest Of World. Your High volume setting will then be back. :smiley:

Common hanging/restarting while replaying mp3s. Definitely not recommended upgrade for me…

It’s not tag problem, as my files are not tagged, and previous firmware (16) was not hanging on them.

And the files are of formats supported by the Clips (e.g. mp3), right?

@temp wrote:

Common hanging/restarting while replaying mp3s. Definitely not recommended upgrade for me…

It’s not tag problem, as my files are not tagged, and previous firmware (16) was not hanging on them.

I can’t imagine why this is happening, but you can always revert back to the .16 f/w version if you want. This latest update really doesn’t fix much and several known issues still exist. I for example, am still running the .15 version. Sometimes newer isn’t always better, and unless the newer updates offer me some sort of fix that I’m having problems with, or some enhancement that I want or would benefit from, I really don’t see the need to update.

And I have ZERO problems with the .15 version. :wink:

Sure, I have already reverted to .16. 

To be honest (after a bit of OF let down with .18), I’ve also installed Rockbox on top of it out of curiosity. While my Rockbox is from -git (I needed to build one tool manually, as I’m not on Windows/Linux/Mac) so far I have experienced one hang in 4:30 h of playback which looks on par with .16 behaviour. But I hope it will not become common occurrence, as with .18.

FWIW, I’ve tested playback time with Rockbox- 13h 30min (not bad, player is far from new) until first power-off, 13h 46 min total playback time, not a single hang.

Thinking of it, total power-on time could be even more, as I’ve reset counter after pulling usb plug, not taking into account, that after 100% recharge, player could be de facto on battery, and only trickle charging if going under e.g. 99%  That’s the case now, I see it already has 2h running time, 99% battery while I pulled the plug just moments ago…

Hi, im not good at english but i hope you guys and the firmware developer can understand what i mean…

okay. i just realzed that everytime i play a music and i lock my sansa clip+ by hold the home button after a few seconds my clip+ is restarted itself, when im checking the version ( settings> System settings > Info)my clip+ is hang and it restarted itself again…

right now the firmware im using is the  01.02.18

please fix this as soon as possible, thanks

Hello,

I’ve got this same problem, change backlight to 15s and everything will work properly :slight_smile:

OK, I have diagnosed a very inconvenient problem in audiobook playback that I hope can be bug-fixed. Recently my audiobook files show up with incorrect duration on the playback bar; that is it will show you are half way thru when only quarter thru, and fully thru filled bar when only half thru. This has a disasterous side effect, so that if I rewind a bit (which I do every minute to pick up a missed word) in the second half the darn thing seems to look at the world thru that incorrect bar and place me at the actual end of the file (maybe an hour ahead and totally losing my actual place).

This happens both in the clip and clip+ with latest firmware. Maybe some stupid tag was incorrectly coded at recording time, but please don’t point fingers to something I and most folks can’t fix. Just would like it to play logically, just like if I put the same file thru mortplayer audio book app under android. Please make it error tolerant and robust.

@oscarilbo wrote:

Hi guys…

I just want to inform that, by my recent experience, this new firmware has som problems playing .FLAC files, which the .15 and .16 didn’t.

When I just received my Sansa Clip+ I ripped one of my cds and put it in… all perfect. It came with the 01.02.15 firmware, and then, the same day I updated the 01.02.18 firmware manually. All i listen is FLAC, so I continue to rip my cds using EAC for perfect tagging. Suddenly the sansa got frozen at track 5 on one of the albums, and after experimenting with different rip methods just the untagged rips were rid of this problem. Some more albums with all their tags continued to frozen at track 5 or 6, always those at those numbers.

Yesterday, tired of it, I downgraded the Sansa to 01.02.15, and then listen to a copule of those same troubled albums and NO FROZEN SANSA… it flowed perfectly. I originally thought It was the USB MODE, but no. It was the  01.02.18 firmware  itself. It has problems with FLAC files on tagged albums or something. The funny thing is that the problem is either with track 5 or 6 at first, not before them, at least with me. When one of those tracks ends, the Sansa player freezes or reboot itself.

I re upgraded the unit to  01.02.18 firmware  and presented the probem again, then I downgraded to  01.02.15  again and no problem, then upgraded to  01.02.16 and  no problem. I let my sansa in the .16 firmware from now on.

One thing got my attention: with the . 15  and . 16  firmwares, the sansa does not freez, but there is one “click” sound at the end of either one of those same “troubled” tracks (5 and 6 track of the albums) that caused the sansa to frozen on the  01.02.18 firmware. 

PD:  there has been some other reported problems about this issue. Here es one from a couple of months:

Clip+ update 10218 problem with .flac files ?

@jpar

08-17-2012 08:19 AM

Hello,

I have updated to .18 from .16. Since I have had  problems with some .flac files. The clip freezes and I have to restart again.I have returned to .16 and everything seems all right

Oscarilbo, Thanks, I had the same problem, and a downgrade to 01.02.16 seems to have made the problem go away.

Mark

Please fix the bug with FLAC files on 01.02.18, when Clip+ got a freezing or rebooting between the songs. 01.02.16 haven’t this problem, but sound quality is best on 01.02.18.

@aurave wrote:

Please fix the bug with FLAC files on 01.02.18, when Clip+ got a freezing or rebooting between the songs. 01.02.16 haven’t this problem, but sound quality is best on 01.02.18.

Sound quality is exactly the same in both firmware versions. Nothing was changed in the later update to affect it at all.

@tapeworm wrote:

@aurave wrote:

Sound quality is exactly the same in both firmware versions. Nothing was changed in the later update to affect it at all.

Can drive a nail into my head, but I still hear the difference)))))
I changed firmware three times (16 to 18 and back). The low frequency is deeper on 01.02.18 for me. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe that’s just a glitch in my head))))
Please, if you have a chance, listen more carefully to any of your favorite instrumental tracks with bass line, on both versions of the firmware. Or for example you can listen to “B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Worried Life Blues.flac”

P.S. I use my Clip+ with the Pioneer HDJ-2000 closed type headphones.

You forgot to mention that the updater needs to be ran as administrator in the post. I tried to just use it regurlarly the 1st 2 times but it wouldnt run and it never asked for mermissions either. So I killed the process in task manager and ran it as administritor (in my windows 7 64 you do this by right click the exe and then left click run as administrator but your windows must be logged into an account that has administrator privliges). After that it worked but not everyone could have figured that out and so you really should put it somewhere where they will see it (like the download page).