Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.16

So what’s the deal with mine? SHould I RMA it? Take a look at my problem and tell me that this is not a firmware-related issue.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Sansa-Clip-doesn-t-turn-one-and-won-t-be-recognised-by-computer/td-p/272615

Please don’t change the Subject line of an existing thread when it pertains to a particular firmware version. This could confuse many, many people for years to come! :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Please don’t change the Subject line of an existing thread when it pertains to a particular firmware version. This could confuse many, many people for years to come! :wink:

Ok sorry about that. :frowning:

@silvershot wrote:

Ok sorry about that. :frowning:

Responded in the other thread–time to call in SanDisk Customer Service, me thinks . . . .

I have totally messed up my Sansa Clip+ while trying to install Rockbox. Is there any way to get a fresh new start with original firmware? Sansa Updater does not recognize the player anymore. I have tried to update manually, have copied clppa.bin to the root directory, but after unplugging the USB-cable nothing happens. When the cable is connected, there appears text “Bootloader USB mode”. When I disconnect it, it says “file not found” and “Plug USB cable”. And when I plug it, nothing happens… and so on.

Are you sure you have a Clip+? The Clip and Clip+ firmwares are not interchangeable. If you try to install the wrong one, it won’t do anything (just as you say happened with yours). Try manually installing the Clip firmware. 

Clip = round control button, Clip+ = rounded square control button. I do have Clip+ 8 Gb. But I repeat, the file system is totally messed up and I need a fresh new start. Is it possible or do I simply have to throw the poor thing to the recycle bin?

1 Like

@blip wrote:

I have totally messed up my Sansa Clip+ while trying to install Rockbox. Is there any way to get a fresh new start with original firmware? Sansa Updater does not recognize the player anymore. I have tried to update manually, have copied clppa.bin to the root directory, but after unplugging the USB-cable nothing happens. When the cable is connected, there appears text “Bootloader USB mode”. When I disconnect it, it says “file not found” and “Plug USB cable”. And when I plug it, nothing happens… and so on.

Sounds like Rockbox is still present on the player. Did you use the Rockbox Utility to install it? You can use the same thing to un-install (delete) it. After this, then you re-install (manually) the original firmware again to get rid of the RB bootloader that is patched into the firmware

@blip wrote:

Clip = round control button, Clip+ = rounded square control button. I do have Clip+ 8 Gb. But I repeat, the file system is totally messed up and I need a fresh new start. Is it possible or do I simply have to throw the poor thing to the recycle bin?

Your file system is fine, you just installed the bootloader without installing rockbox. Reboot into the Sandisk firmware (hold left I think while booting), then either copy a new unpatched Sandisk firmware (to uninstall the bootloader) or copy a .rockbox folder over (to install rockbox). FWIW, this is explained in the manual. Probably worth checking that out before you think about throwing your player away :wink:

Is the “firmware” simply clppa.bin, or does it (or should it) include something else?

Thanks for encouragement. Maybe the case isn’t lost yet.

I uninstalled Rockbox with Rockbox Utility. Anyway, it couldn’t remove the bootloader (“remove it manually”, it said). So I formatted the Sansa Clip+ via Windows 7 disk management - but I still get the Rockbox logo when I boot the player! Where does this d*mn Rockbox bootloader reside? This is hopeless. I don’t understand the logic.

As a new owner of the Clip+ I have a couple of problems, the first is the low volume. I read about setting the language to outside of Europe (where I am based) and, fiddling, have set it to a set of hyroglyphics that I cannot understand and I cannot get back to factory reset 'cos it will only show said hyroglyphics (sort of 2 sets of 3 and nothing else).

My other problem is an error message that comes up when I plug the clip into the computer it is ‘Exeption Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6f7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c’

I have a 16G card in the Clip which is working fine but for the low level volume and the fact I cannot understand anything on the screen 'cos of the language.

Can someone help please?!

@blip wrote:

I uninstalled Rockbox with Rockbox Utility. Anyway, it couldn’t remove the bootloader (“remove it manually”, it said). So I formatted the Sansa Clip+ via Windows 7 disk management - but I still get the Rockbox logo when I boot the player! Where does this d*mn Rockbox bootloader reside? This is hopeless. I don’t understand the logic.

At this stage, now you do a manual install of a Sansa firmware…that will finish the Rockbox removal.

Hi, my sansa clip zip got corrupted, but after doing a reset (holding down the power button) it no longer shows any words in menus. I’ve tried formatting, and restoring to factory settings, but it doesn’t work. I believe i need to do a manual firmware update, but I’m not sure how. Can anyone help?

How did you try formatting–via Windows?  If not, try that.

To manually re-apply the firmware, simply go to the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of this forum and download the firmware linked to there, then following the instructions there to install it.  Easy and takes just a matter of minutes.   :slight_smile:

How did you try formatting–via Windows?  If not, try that.

To manually re-apply the firmware, simply go to the first page of this firmware update thread and download the firmware linked to there in the first post, then following the instructions there to install it.  Easy and takes just a matter of minutes.  

(Do note:  this is for the Clip+.  If you have an original Clip, there is a separate firmware in a separate sticky thread at the top of this forum.)

@dragoncrazyxp wrote:

Hi, my sansa clip zip got corrupted, but after doing a reset (holding down the power button) it no longer shows any words in menus. I’ve tried formatting, and restoring to factory settings, but it doesn’t work. I believe i need to do a manual firmware update, but I’m not sure how. Can anyone help?

It can get pretty confusing around here, especially with all the different model Clip players there are, but this is the Clip+ board and Firmware Update thread.

If you’re wanting to re-install the firmware on your Clip Zip, you can find it by clicking here.

Before you go to all that trouble though, try resetting it again (holding power button for 30 seconds). Release, and then press once to start it up. With any luck it will power up normally. I have never heard of a reset wiping out or corrupting the firmware or causing a player to act like you descibe.

Hello guys, I am using windows 8 consumer preview,and when I tru to update ,I get the messege: update is not supported in your opirating system,please help.

@john26 wrote:

Hello guys, I am using windows 8 consumer preview,and when I tru to update ,I get the messege: update is not supported in your opirating system,please help.

Use a PC with an earlier version of Windows, or just follow the instructions in the " Manual Firmware update" section of the first post of this topic.

Thank you for posting.  I was this close to returning my Clip+