Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.16

@fcam wrote:

I have an issue with the Sansa Clip which I just received as a gift . The FM radio reception is not good.  On stations I normally receive well, using  Sansa Clip FM radio the station does not  come in clearly .  I checked that I have latest firmware . I took it back to Best Buy to exchange it but I still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

Note that your earphone cord doubles as the FM radio antenna. If it’s coiled up, it won’t be able to receive a strong signal.

@tapeworm wrote:

@fcam wrote:

I have an issue with the Sansa Clip which I just received as a gift . The FM radio reception is not good.  On stations I normally receive well, using  Sansa Clip FM radio the station does not  come in clearly .  I checked that I have latest firmware . I took it back to Best Buy to exchange it but I still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

Note that your earphone cord doubles as the FM radio antenna. If it’s coiled up, it won’t be able to receive a strong signal.

In addition, check that the headphone plug is fully inserted into the player. The jack can be quite tight when new, so it may require more force than you expect to fully seat the plug.

Yes, thanks for the reply…  I’m aware that the headphone is usually used as the antenna so I tried another that was used on another radio and Im sure that its plugged in all the way but no change. I was hoping someone has had similar issues.

Hi,

Updated from 01.01.05P to this one. So far no problems. Have 4 Gb with 8 Gb mem.

Radio: deleted all presets and let it scan again. I set the FM to World region instead of USA. My region is Europe but use North America for the volume boost. I must say that the receiver is amazing. Normally I could not listen to the radio when I sad down near my computer. That was a horrible noise and distortion. No influence of the computer system clock anymore. Very amazing!

I use this device for more than a year. I’m happy with it.

@simplemind wrote:

Hi,

Updated from 01.01.05P to this one. So far no problems. Have 4 Gb with 8 Gb mem.

Radio: deleted all presets and let it scan again. I set the FM to World region instead of USA. My region is Europe but use North America for the volume boost. I must say that the receiver is amazing. Normally I could not listen to the radio when I sad down near my computer. That was a horrible noise and distortion. No influence of the computer system clock anymore. Very amazing!

I use this device for more than a year. I’m happy with it.

Glad to hear it, although you seem to be in the minority as far as lovers of the FM Radio on the Clip+ goes. Most everyone else is complaining about the reception (or lack of it) when compared to the previous (original) Clip.

I’m getting a 0-byte file when I try to get the manual-install version of the 01.02.15 firmware.  Can anyone at Sansa see if there is some issue with it?  Thanks!

tested it and it is working fine. 

Works on my PC as well. It could be with your anti virus or you may also try other browsers.

Hi,

I am a new user of this tiny powerful MP3 player. Until now I always used my cellphone to listening radio and MP3s.

FM reception is beyond comparison with my cell phone. It was impossible to comfortably listen radio during my journey to work. With the Clip+, it works fine!

I do not have the habit to write reviews, but I think I will for the Clip+.

Hi guys, I need some help with my Clip+ 2gb !!

I can’t copy anything to it!

• Wanted to put some music on it… didn’t work. Not with explorer (drag/drop) or with wmp.

• Tried to put it in that MLC mode… didn’t work

• Formatted the drive… worked. Trying to copy anything to it, no luck.

• Used SansaUpdater to update the firmware, no luck.

" SansaUpdater.exe - Device timed-out.

Something with \Device\Harddisk10\DR14 "

• Copying the firmware manually didnt work either.

Absolutely nothing works!! HELP!

@freakz wrote:

• Wanted to put some music on it… didn’t work. Not with explorer (drag/drop) or with wmp.
  • Tried to put it in that MLC mode… didn’t work
  • Formatted the drive… worked. Trying to copy anything to it, no luck.
  • Used SansaUpdater to update the firmware, no luck.

" SansaUpdater.exe - Device timed-out.

Something with \Device\Harddisk10\DR14 "

• Copying the firmware manually didnt work either.

Absolutely nothing works!! HELP!

Sounds like you have multiple issues here. Best to call SanDisk Tech Support. They can sort them out one at a time with you on the phone. If it’s determined you have a bad unit, they can arrange for a replacement to be sent to you under warranty. :smiley:

Thing is… it worked fine a few months ago.

Lost it when I moved! Didn’t remember where I put it, stupid me.

It isn’t damaged or something but copying files to it just doesn’t work.

Tried the laptop of a roommate… it WORKED!!!

Back on my pc I tried every usb port I have, but nothing works. Copying fails everytime.

Normal usb flashdrives work just fine. I don’t get this!

1 Like

It’d be nice to have a new firmware which would fix the “Not enough space for music db please free 90MB” -bug. This started again yesterday (with ~200MB free space on the player.). And it’s obviously cured only by re-formatting the player. I’m growing tired of doing this over and over again.

It’s been nearly a year since last firmware update. I would take this as a sign to start using Rockbox, if only RB Team would complete their USB/MSC -support for Clip+ and if RB had as good battery lifetime.

Excluding this, everything’s working fine.

One more thing. It’d be nice if Playing from the Folder View would skip the Mac “Dot files” instead of trying to play them and repeating the whole folder because of them. I had the same problem with Fuze. I know there’s and option to delete the Dot Files before unmounting the clip+ and there even exist some applescripts that semi-automate this, but it’s be nice Sansa’s players would just skip these files.

@anana wrote:

It’d be nice to have a new firmware which would fix the “Not enough space for music db please free 90MB” -bug. This started again yesterday (with ~200MB free space on the player.). And it’s obviously cured only by re-formatting the player. I’m growing tired of doing this over and over again.

If you have to constantly format the player because of a recurring “Not enough space” error message, then you have one or more corrupted files on the device that’s causing it. Firmware isn’t going to fix this; you have to. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

@tapeworm wrote:

If you have to constantly format the player because of a recurring “Not enough space” error message, then you have one or more corrupted files on the device that’s causing it. Firmware isn’t going to fix this; you have to.

Since I always unmount my player before detaching the usb cord and all the mp3, flac and ogg files are perfectly intact, it seems (to me) that the cause for the corrupted files lies inside clip+ firmware. Like in the former case where database refreshing stuck with a specific version of ID3 tag inside ogg. And I’m glad that sansa fixed that one. + I have never had this problem with Fuze I’m using as my second player.

I’m curious about the mechanism that’s causing it, since every time it happens, starting the player seems to lose 30MB space somewhere and rockbox doesn’t have any problems starting up as fast as usual, and playing music. Maybe it’d be possible to just skip this check or use some different method of checking free space? Or maybe when the battery dies on repeating the “dot files” it corrupts FAT somehow. Just wild guesses.

@anana wrote:

One more thing. It’d be nice if Playing from the Folder View would skip the Mac “Dot files” instead of trying to play them and repeating the whole folder because of them. I had the same problem with Fuze. I know there’s and option to delete the Dot Files before unmounting the clip+ and there even exist some applescripts that semi-automate this, but it’s be nice Sansa’s players would just skip these files.

Why should SanDisk have to fix (even if they could) an Apple-caused and related problem? These things happen when you mix different systems; Linux users have their problems using Sansa devices too. They know they have to work around the compatibilituy issues and sometimes use non-Windows programs, procedures and/or extra steps to get things done. So do Mac users.

Well, I can just hope that they want to make it easier for us mac users. And I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t want to see SanDisk player a proper challenge to ipod among mac users. It isn’t as long it doesn’t “support” OSX Finder.

This is a superb product since it supports many open formats, has a better sound chip than the most players (if not all) and is small and well built. And I think we can trust Apple will never fix this one, so my hopes are at sandisk. : )

It seems to me that whatever SanDisk can do to make things easier for Apple/Mac/iTunes users only helps SanDisk get them as customers, and increase sales.  Having aac capability would be part of that. 

There is a real opening for the Clips, over the limited Shuffle and those who don’t need or want the video of the Nano.  Making it easy for users of those players would help. 

@anana wrote:

It’d be nice if Playing from the Folder View would skip the Mac “Dot files” instead of trying to play them and repeating the whole folder because of them. I had the same problem with Fuze. I know there’s and option to delete the Dot Files before unmounting the clip+ and there even exist some applescripts that semi-automate this, but it’s be nice Sansa’s players would just skip these files.

I’m not sure this issue is unique to just Sansa mp3 players. I wouldn’t be surprised if all non-pod players have this issue.

@miikerman wrote:

It seems to me that whatever SanDisk can do to make things easier for Apple/Mac/iTunes users only helps SanDisk get them as customers, and increase sales.  Having aac capability would be part of that. 

There is a real opening for the Clips, over the limited Shuffle and those who don’t need or want the video of the Nano.  Making it easy for users of those players would help. 

The newest Nano doesn’t do video.:wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@anana wrote:

It’d be nice if Playing from the Folder View would skip the Mac “Dot files” instead of trying to play them and repeating the whole folder because of them. I had the same problem with Fuze. I know there’s and option to delete the Dot Files before unmounting the clip+ and there even exist some applescripts that semi-automate this, but it’s be nice Sansa’s players would just skip these files.

I’m not sure this issue is unique to just Sansa mp3 players. I wouldn’t be surprised if all non-pod players have this issue.

Indeed, the Cowon players have problems when paired with Mac computers also.