Sansa Clip Firmware 01.01.35 & 02.01.35 Release

Well, bad news.  It seems my unit died.  No life to it.  ???  I guess I’ll marry up with an Apple Touch or Nano and keep it in the family this time around.  A bit disappointed about the clip.  I really found its size quite enabling.  

Thanks again for your help Slotmonsta

Did you try a reset?

If the Clip is dead but new, I’d exchange it at the seller or contact SanDisk for an easy warranty replacement (1 year U.S./2 years EU).  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

Well, I’m happy to report that it came back alive.  Why iit went dormant on me is a mystery.  On my final try before chucking it into the trash, it went on, with the notice that the battery was extremely low and needed recharging.  I really don’t know why that was because in all my efforts to get it going, it was charging most of the tiime!  Anyhow, that’s neither here or there.  It burped like most things do and is up and running now.

That is a qualified up and running.  It took the update on fiirmware and I went a step further and recorded a voice recording of myself and it recorded, it played and it deleted when I took that action.  But, regardless of telling me that it is reading and writing music, when I try to access the music that I -dragged and dropped, it reads empty!

My next attempt will be today.  I’m going to go to a friends house and see if I can drag and drop music from their Windows system computer.  I have a suspicion that having an IMAC may require  different settings on my clip?  Sort of leaving it in MTC, or the other choice?  It defaults to the auto detect so that shouldn’t be a problem.  

Most if all of my music are from CDs that I put in ITUNES.  Most of it was recorded unto the clip previously.  I only attempted to load the music because I reformatted the unit.  So, the procedure was 1/ I had a problem loading music. 2/ I reformatted the clip. 3/  I loaded the new firmware update ( with much ajata) but finally got it. 4/ Attempted to drag and drop music. 5/ Unit displayed reading and writing (assumed successful download). 6/ Accessed music to play and empty notice displayed. 7/ Recorded my voice and it worked.  

If for any reason the instructions were deficient, please advise.  I’ll be trying a Windows system today to disprove my theory about it being a problem because of an apple computer.  That won’t solve my problem because all of my music is on my computer but, it may provide an answer.

@oki_al wrote:

My next attempt will be today.  I’m going to go to a friends house and see if I can drag and drop music from their Windows system computer.   I have a suspicion that having an IMAC may require  different settings on my clip?  Sort of leaving it in MTC, or the other choice?  It defaults to the auto detect so that shouldn’t be a problem.  

Yes, it will be a problem. As I said before, when using a Sansa player with a Mac computer, the player MUST be in MSC mode, NOT MTP or Auto.

Additionally, a Mac can add data files that will choke the Clip.  To prevent that, Kopymac (Internet freeware) can be used to transfer to the Clip from a Mac.

Milkerman

I did as I said I would, I visited a friend who had Windows.  I downloaded music from her files unto my clip and when I went to it to play them, they were there and they played.

I further investigated my music and found them to be in MPEG-4 format, something I believe the clip does not recognize.  I checked the music I downloaded from my friend and found it to be MP3 & WMA format, two formats that I know the clip supports.  

So, what to do?  Most of the music I uploaded to ITunes were from my CDs.  I’m wondering if that was their original format or the possibility of ITunes converting the music to Quick Time format, which I believe is MPEG 4.  

Well, a mountain is climbed once step at a time isn’t it?  I guess I started a climb that is a bit taller than I intended to climb.  However, it is encouraging that I had a few steps forward after having stumbled at the start.  Having people like yourself on standby waiting to assist is also encouraging to me.

I’ll keep you posted.

oki al

Milkerman

An after thought.  I’ll look up the software you provided me - kopymac to see what it is about.  I’ll google it I guess.

Thanks again

oki al

Good news that you have your CDs as backup.

What I’m assuming is that, when you ripped your CDs (which initially are in a “generic” audio format, as distinct from computer formats such as MP3, aac, etc.), they got ripped into the format not compatible with the Clip.

At this point, your best (although time-consuming) option is to re-rip the CDs into a format compatible with the Clip, such as MP3 or flac.  The next best would be to convert your current files to a Clip-compatible format; however, converting between compressed formats is “frowned upon,” because you lose more of the music’s data that way. Personally, I use the MP3 format with VBR (variable bit rate).

Regardless, it’s good to hear that you figured the issue out, and that your attitude is so positive!  Once you set up a system now, you’ll be set for the future.

hi,can someone tell me why when i updated my sansa clip to 02.01.35 it took of the volume adjuster on the settings page?as i now cant even hear the music at full volume.:womansad:

To get it back, choose Reset under the settings and choose N America or Rest of World as the region.  The volume setting then should be back.  Or reapply the firmware and choose similarly. 

thanks for that but how do i re apply it?

Milkerman

Yep!  The format that the cd’s we’re converted to in import was the problem.  I finally figured that out as well.  It was, as you state time consuming.  Nice to know that you were one step behind me with the correct answer.

Unfortunately, my car, unlike my truck does not have an mp3 player so I had to cut a cd for it.  I did have my suspicions however, that it wouldn’t be that easy.  I was right.  cutting the cd in mp3 format didn’t work.  I had to convert the songs that I wanted to burn on the cd back to the original format that it was initially converted too.  That worked fine.  It was quite noticeable that the files were much much larger in that format.  

Thanks again for hanging in there with me.  Much appreciated.

Oki_al

@rachel_78 wrote:

hi,can someone tell me why when i updated my sansa clip to 02.01.35 it took of the volume adjuster on the settings page?as i now cant even hear the music at full volume.:womansad:

This ‘sticky’ post (at the top of the board shaded gray so everyone and anyone can & should find it and read it) provides not only the reason, but also the workaround. :wink:

@rachel_78 wrote:

thanks for that but how do i re apply it?

As mentioned above, you simply can Reset the Clip under its settings option.  But to reapply the firmware, just follow the instructions in the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum.

I’ve just updated my sansa clip to the latest firmware and an important feature I missed is the volume boost that I had available with the originally loaded firmware.

Would it be possible to turn it on somehow or to get the feature back in place?

Ciao Gio

you probably selected Europe as your region. there is EU law limiting the volume level to 100db. go to settings and select reset all. then for region select rest of world. you will now have the high volume setting. 

Does anyone actually read the posts directly above where they are posting a comment (which, as seen above, actually can already answer the issue, repeatedly)?!?   :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

Does anyone actually read the posts directly above where they are posting a comment (which, as seen above, actually can already answer the issue, repeatedly)?!?   :wink:

Nope.:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

Apparently not.

@miikerman wrote:

Does anyone actually read the posts directly above where they are posting a comment (which, as seen above, actually can already answer the issue, repeatedly)?!?  

Apparently not.