Sansa Clip Does It Break Off?

I just bought a 2gig black Sansa clip which I love.  However, I am worried that the clip part might break off?  Have you guys found the clip part sturdy?

Thanks 

@americanlt wrote:

I just bought a 2gig black Sansa clip which I love.  However, I am worried that the clip part might break off?  Have you guys found the clip part sturdy?

Thanks 

I have only heard a few people say it’s broken.  I’ve  used mine every day now since October and mine hasn’t broken. There’s a tiny crack that I can just barely see,under a light, that I might try putting a little super glue on to reinforce it. But if you don’t abuse it you have no reason to worry. :smiley:

HEHE   Sorry Marvin that made me smile.         I wish they would fix that spring design so it would last forever.

@niko_sama wrote:
HEHE   Sorry Marvin that made me smile.         I wish they would fix that spring design so it would last forever.

How long have you had yours? Have you seen the same tiny little almost invisible crack? You can’t even feel it if you run your fingertip over it. I figure it’s worth a shot to try a little dab of superglue, even though I’m going to Wally World today looking for one of those $49 8GB Clips. Bills? What bills? :stuck_out_tongue:

@marvin_martian wrote:

How long have you had yours? Have you seen the same tiny little almost invisible crack? You can’t even feel it if you run your fingertip over it. I figure it’s worth a shot to try a little dab of superglue, even though I’m going to Wally World today looking for one of those $49 8GB Clips. Bills? What bills? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have had 3 of the clips fail.   The tiny spring puts so much pressure on a single microscopic point on the back of the plastic it will eventually break through and lose its tension, and the clip will no longer be useful.  I’m not alone in this, others have reported the same issue.    A simple design change could spread that force out over  the plastic clip and not a single point.   

Note:   I have purchased about a dozen clips as gifts.   3 of them are mine (2 GB clip, 1.5 years old,  4 GB and about a 2 month old 8GB clip.

I’ve reinforced 2 of the 3 broken clip accessories, and one of my clips is naked without the clip accessory.     It’s an important piece of the clip to secure it while on the go.   I’d just like the thing to last.   And I know it can be improved.

In the previous post when I say Clip   I am talking about the CLIP Accessory with the springy on it.

@niko_sama wrote:
In the previous post when I say Clip   I am talking about the CLIP Accessory with the springy on it.

How did you reinforce it?

Note that the Sansa store sells replacement Clip clips; although the price, in my humble opinion, is more than what it should be given that the clip has the unfortunate design issue to begin with …

@miikerman wrote:
Note that the Sansa store sells replacement Clip clips; although the price, in my humble opinion, is more than what it should be given that the clip has the unfortunate design issue to begin with …

Yeah, I agree:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@niko_sama wrote:

My reinforcing jobs were less than successful.

The first clip Accessory:  I noticed it went from a small bubble to an open crack, and it appeared the crack in the plastic was growing.  So I took the clip accessory off,   and applied a drop of superglue, maybe not a full drop.   and then applied pressure on the point where the crack was growing, so it would close up the crack.   This Clip accessory was given away with my 2GB clip to a friend who is at university.   I will ask her if it is still working next time I see her.

The second clip Accessory,   was more of a failed attempted.     I took a small piece of hard clear plastic from a Flash memory holder.   cut out a small rectangle.   Super glued to the back of the clip accessory.   It didn’t stick :S so that clip accessory still has the crack along with some extra superglue that makes it look bad  LOL.

The third clip Accessory:   I added too much superglue, and you guessed it,  its locked solid and the spring is no longer an issue,  LOL,  there is no pivot anymore.   I just took this one and threw it in a drawer.   The Clip is therefore naked and has no clip accessory anymore.

Don’t try this at home :P   or if you do , do a better job than I did :slight_smile:

Niko

@niko_sama wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@niko_sama wrote:

My reinforcing jobs were less than successful.

The first clip Accessory:  I noticed it went from a small bubble to an open crack, and it appeared the crack in the plastic was growing.  So I took the clip accessory off,   and applied a drop of superglue, maybe not a full drop.   and then applied pressure on the point where the crack was growing, so it would close up the crack.   This Clip accessory was given away with my 2GB clip to a friend who is at university.   I will ask her if it is still working next time I see her.

The second clip Accessory,   was more of a failed attempted.     I took a small piece of hard clear plastic from a Flash memory holder.   cut out a small rectangle.   Super glued to the back of the clip accessory.   It didn’t stick :S so that clip accessory still has the crack along with some extra superglue that makes it look bad  LOL.

The third clip Accessory:   I added too much superglue, and you guessed it,  its locked solid and the spring is no longer an issue,  LOL,  there is no pivot anymore.   I just took this one and threw it in a drawer.   The Clip is therefore naked and has no clip accessory anymore.

Don’t try this at home :P   or if you do , do a better job than I did :slight_smile:

Niko

OK, thanks:smiley:

To the question of if it breaks off… I used mine nearly daily for about 8 months before the clip (Yes that sproingy part) failed.  I love this little player and I miss my clip but I too find the replacements awfully expensive.  As the proud owner of a 1gb clip (Yes, there is life under 4gb) the cost of the replacement clips is more than half of what it would take to buy a new player.  My solution…an inexpensive neoprene pouch on a string.  I know I won’t drop and break my player and I watch the price on the clips (and players) in case they go on sale.  But, more important to your question, even when my clip broke, it didn’t break off, just won’t hold anymore.  The result was annoying but didn’t cause any damage or risk to my player.

to Niko_sama: I have indeed complained to the company and requested a replacement.  No luck but maybe if enough of us complain they will come up with a solution…:smiley:

How much is the replacement clips?

thanks you

thank you

@americanlt wrote:

thank you

I’m not positive, but I think it is $15 for 3 of them.

@americanlt wrote:

thanks you

Did you check at the Sansa store (link at the top right)?

$15 for 3 at the sansa store (they are listed under “other accessories”.  Can’t get just one… and I don’t know what shipping is either. Still too much in my book but worth it if you really need the clip I guess.

:cry: