Sansa Clip+ 8gb will not power on

My clip+ was working great, then a couple days ago it froze, with a few strange unrecognizable figures on the screen.  Now it will not power on at all.  Tried resetting several times.  When plugged into my computer, I get a msg stating that it is an unrecognizable device, and it must be formatted.  Tried formatting but get a msg stating that windows cannot format.  It doesn’t show up at all otherwise.  I usually charge it on the computer, but have tried wall charging as well, still nothing.  Does anyone have an answer?  Please help! thank you.

1.) Try resetting (holding the power button) for slightly over a minute. I know this seems extreme, but others have reported that they had success on an otherwise DOA unit by doing this.

2.) Another little trick that has helped some is to press (and hold) the Home button a split-second after pressing the power button in attempting to turn it on.

3.) And believe it or not, some have revived simply by ignoring them and doing nothing with them for a few days.

Thank you. I tried the first two a few times with no results.  I’ll leave it alone for a few days and let you know.  Thanks so much.

Great suggestions. Thanks.

@cammi7 wrote:

My clip+ was working great, then a couple days ago it froze, with a few strange unrecognizable figures on the screen.  Now it will not power on at all.  Tried resetting several times.  When plugged into my computer, I get a msg stating that it is an unrecognizable device , and it must be formatted.  Tried formatting but get a msg stating that windows cannot format.  It doesn’t show up at all otherwise.  I usually charge it on the computer, but have tried wall charging as well, still nothing.  Does anyone have an answer?  Please help! thank you.

If the player does turn on again, but you’re still seeing strange behavior, then I suggest that you reinstall the firmware.   Sometimes the firmware gets corrupt and reinstalling it will clear up alot of issues.

You’ll have to reinstall the firmware manually.  You can download a copy of the lastest firmware at this link.  Just download the “Firmware Download for All Regions” and follow the instructions given in the same post.  Once you reinstall the firmware, you’ll have to reset the systems settings again.  Some of the settings go back to the default ones.

If the computer doesn’t recognize the player, then you can try to “force MSC mode”.  With the player turned off, hold down the center button and connect the player to the computer.  You may have to hold down the center button for awhile before you can get a connection.   Once that happens, reinstall the firmware.

If you know what was playing when the clip+ froze, I suggest that you delete it.   It may have become corrupt and will cause the player to freeze again if it stays on the player.

Thank you.  I guess there is no way to reinstall if it never powers on again right?

You can always call SanDisk Tech Support. If it’s still under warranty and they can’t get it working for you, they’ll replace it.

Yea the holding power button on for about a minute worked awesome!! Thank You!

I pressed the slider up (power button) and held it for about 1 minute.  It came back on after being completely shut down for days.  It’s the basic 8GB model.  Thanks guys you are awesome.  I’'ve had it for about six years - bought refurbed - and couldnt believe I was about to lose my little buddy.  I’ve never written this in a post, but Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

@deindiana wrote:

I pressed the slider up (power button) and held it for about 1 minute.  It came back on after being completely shut down for days.  It’s the basic 8GB model.  Thanks guys you are awesome.  I’'ve had it for about six years - bought refurbed - and couldnt believe I was about to lose my little buddy.  I’ve never written this in a post, but Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Glad a reset worked for you, but the Clip+ DOES NOT have a power button slider, nor has it been out for 6 years. So your little buddy must be a different player than what is beinig discussed in this thread. Maybe the “original” Clip with the round scroll wheel perhaps? :wink:

An original Clip user!    :slight_smile:

The “power on” at the same time as the “home” button pressed together worked for me!