Sansa Clip+ 8GB with 32GB SDHC card

I am using a sandisk 32GB card with my player. I have loaded the internal memory of the clip with about 1500 songs, and the SD card with several thousand more, a total of over 7000 songs. After the media is refreshed, the player only recognizes 5649 songs. When I attach the player to a computer, all of the songs are present on theinternal memory and the SD card. Why is the Clip+ not recognizing all the files? The mp3 tags are fine on all of the songs, I can load and play them with less songs on the player. The problem seems to be the number of songs. Any ideas? Thanks!

From here, talking about the root directory of FAT filesystems:

“FAT16 holds a maximum of 512 entries, and the limit can be even lower due to the use of long file names in the root folder”

Might that be the case, that you stored all the songs in the root directory of the card?   (It’s highly doubtful you would have done this on the player, since you’d have seen the “Music” directory.)

Thanks for the reply. The music on the card is not stored in the root directory. I checked the contents of the card again and all of the files are there. Thanks!

Apologies, mine was a stupid reply.  You’re FAT32 at 32 GB.

No problem, thanks for replying. I just installed Rockbox and it works perfectly, all my music is there. Hmmm, must be a problem with the Sansa firmware - I do have the latest version installed. Thanks.

@mshum wrote:

No problem, thanks for replying. I just installed Rockbox and it works perfectly, all my music is there. Hmmm, must be a problem with the Sansa firmware - I do have the latest version installed. Thanks.

I did the same last June or July, and haven’t looked back since…congrats!

Maybe start by isolating the problem.  Remove the card and see if all the files on the player are playable.

If you isolate the problem to files on the card, are you sure the card is legit?  You can use h2testw to see the true capacity, though it wipes the contents.  (I’m not sure about this being the problem, since you can see all the files, but it may be possible from reading the linked post.)