Sansa Clip+ 8GB not detected by Windows

Hello, I’ve recently purchased a brand new Sansa Clip+ 8GB (Black) off of Amazon.com.  When I plugged in the MP3, my PC does not detect it.  There is no sound or messages that pop up to clarify that the MP3 is plugged in.  Since my PC does not detect the player, There is nothing in the “Device Manager” that indicates the MP3 is installed.  I have tried every possible solution listed at the website along with a couple of searches on google and still to no avail.  I have also tried putting the USB settings on the Clip to Auto-detect, MTP and MSC, but so far none of them are working.  I even tried putting the Clip on hold, and then hold the middle button as I plug in the USB, but it still won’t work.  My computer is not recognizing the MP3 player whatsoever.  Another problem is, even though the Clip is plugged in, it won’t charge.  I have tried every possible USB ports on my PC, but to no avail. I also have the latest Windows Media Player (version 12), but that doesn’t seem to fix the issue.

I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate.  My PC specs are: 

Processor: Intel(R) Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz(4 CPUs) 2.33GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit(6.1, Build 7600)

My cousin told me to update my Windows, which I did, and my PC still won’t detect the Sansa Clip.  I have also tried plugging the MP3 player on two other PCs in my house (all of which are running on Windows 7), and still to no avail.  This is infact my second Sansa Clip+.  I recently returned the other one to Amazon for a replacement.  I had the same poblem with the first one as well.  At first, I thought the product was simply defective.  However, after I’ve got a brand new replacement, I still have the same issue.  

If anyone can give me some tips and guidance on how to get this Clip to work, I would really appricate it.  Thanks!
Message Edited by tnguyen617 on 04-26-2010 10:34 PM

I had a similar issue, but was able to handle it via playing with Device Manager (candidly, I don’t recall exactly what I did, although I think it was uninstalling and allowing a driver re-install).

I had a similar issue, but was able to handle it via playing with Win7’s Device Manager/Disk Management options (candidly, I don’t recall exactly what I did, although I think it included uninstalling and allowing a driver re-install).

A thought:  I had an issue years ago with Windows, in which it installed a USB device to the same drive letter as a previosuly-installed device (Windows is supposed to avoid this–but does it now-and-again, regardless).  The fix was going into Disk Management and somehow assigning a new drive letter–perhaps something to check out?

I had a similar issue, but was able to handle it via playing with Win7's Device Manager/Disk Management options (candidly, I don't recall exactly what I did, although I think it included uninstalling and allowing a driver re-install).

A thought:  I had an issue years ago with Windows, in which it installed a USB device to the same drive letter as a previously-installed device (Windows is supposed to avoid this--but does it now-and-again, regardless).  The fix was going into Disk Management and somehow assigning a new drive letter--perhaps something to check out?

Actually, there is a simple answer to this. The problem is in the instruction manual, where it tells you to set the device to MSC mode if your computer does not detect it.

If you are on Rhapsody.com, and want to authorize the device, and you are running a Windows XP SP3 computer, this is what you do:

1. unplug the player

2. select Settings (use the down arrow)

3. select System Settings

4. select USB mode

5. Change the USB mode from Auto Detect to MTP

6. Plug your player back into the computers USB port

These units, which are listed by Rhapsody as compatible, should ship with the MTP mode already selected. The problem arises because they are shipping with Auto Detect as the default.

Good luck!

Richard

crowellstudios wrote:

Actually, there is a simple answer to this. The problem is in the instruction manual, where it tells you to set the device to MSC mode if your computer does not detect it.

If you are on Rhapsody.com, and want to authorize the device, and you are running a Windows XP SP3 computer, this is what you do:

<snip>

And just where did the OP say he was a Rhapsody subscriber?

crowellstudios wrote:

<snip>

And just where did the OP say he was a CRhapsody subscriber?

Setting to MSC mode always is a good approach.  However, the OP already had tried that (easily missed in the post).

crowellstudios wrote:

Setting to MSC mode always is a good approach.  However, the OP already had tried that (easily missed in the post).