Sansa Clip + 4GB Dead

Clip+ 4GB  - Was freezing up on  a regular ly.  Lately on a daily basis. Yesterday it went dead and will not come back. Tried all suggestions.  Power button for 15 seconds. Nothing  Then 60 seconds. Nothing. Tried Home / Power for 15 / 30 / 60 seconds. Plug in to Computer. Pluged into wall charger. Nothing Nothing Nothing!  Only 5 months old.  Now what?

You might try leaving the player plugged into the power overnight or for1-2 days–this “trickle-charging” can bring a player back to life.

Also, I’ve read reports here of a player starting up again through some combination of turning the player on while pressing the home and select buttons (sometimes people have said press the home button a split second before the select button).  I’ve never had to do this and wonder about this undocumented method, but you could try puttering around with it–why not and who knows, it could work.

And then, if all else fails, you have a minimum 1-year warranty on the player, and could contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement.

Miikerman, thank you so much for responding, but I’ve been researching this all morning and I’ve pushed every combination of buttons.  Only thing left isto let it sit and hopefully drain the battery. 

I suppose the warranty would work if only I could find that darn receipt. 

But…

WOW page after page on a dozen of different sites filed with Clip users having the same freeze up problem and the final solution seems to be letting it sit for days on end for the battery to die and then maybe have it reset itself. What for? Only to have it freeze up again. Now that seems like a great solution, Sandisk. Maybe its SanDisk’s plan to forced me to buy a couple more of these dogs. So when one is sitting around frozen up draining the battery I’ll have another one to use. Seems Sandisk can’t get its act together to fix this problem. This MP3 isn’t that great that we should have to put up with this poor design and quality control. Maybe it’s time to look at the Apple Products. :frowning:

If/when you can get the player going again, I would reapply the latest firmware–it could be a corrupt code issue.

Thanks.  I Checked 2 weeks ago for update. I have / had the latest. 

Yep, understood that you have the latest.  But sometimes the software code can become corrupted over time–reapplying the firmware replaces that old, corrupted code with a pristine, new copy and can fix issues that had resulted.  At the very least, it can’t hurt.

I’ve got the exact same problem!

I love my clip+ to bits, but I’ve only had her six months and she freezes up at least once a day. 

It stalled on ‘refreshing media’ for an entire bus ride to work and then a whole seven hour shift in my pocket (yes really), I reset her before I got on the bus home and she wouldn’t turn back on.

Won’t respond to any computers, I’ve used all the ports and three different cables so I know it’s not that.

Right now she’s on day 2 of being plugged into the wall but she’s frozen on that **bleep** sansa flower screen. She’ll flash that, and then turn off. Nothing more. 

Trying all the button combos I can think of but I’m losing hope.

My manual and such were in the old house, wah! Really can’t afford another, feeling kinda heartbroken.

The things we do to avoid iPods, huh? ): 

@tweeker wrote:

I’ve got the exact same problem!

I love my clip+ to bits, but I’ve only had her six months and she freezes up at least once a day. 

It stalled on ‘refreshing media’ for an entire bus ride to work and then a whole seven hour shift in my pocket (yes really), I reset her before I got on the bus home and she wouldn’t turn back on.

Won’t respond to any computers, I’ve used all the ports and three different cables so I know it’s not that.

Right now she’s on day 2 of being plugged into the wall but she’s frozen on that **bleep** sansa flower screen. She’ll flash that, and then turn off. Nothing more. 

Trying all the button combos I can think of but I’m losing hope.

My manual and such were in the old house, wah! Really can’t afford another, feeling kinda heartbroken.

The things we do to avoid iPods, huh? ): 

Not all of us.:dizzy_face::stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Miikerman, I’ll try if it ever turns back on.

SIlly to ask, I know, but have you held the on button down for a minute or more, to try to get a reset? Sometimes the basic 20-30 seconds just doesn’t do it. The good news is, if worse comes to worse, you’re covered by SanDisk’s warranty, for a replacement (which the company is good about).

Thanks for your contuinued suggestions

My fingers are bloody from holding the buttons down. 

Bad news is I can not find my receipt. 

You usually don’t need a receipt with SanDisk; only if you’re returning it to the dealer you bought it from.

I’ve had mine for about 5 months and today it just died while I was out.

I’ve tried holding the power button but to no avail.

So I waited til I got home.  Plugged it to my laptop’s USB port but it wouldn’t charge.

Well good thing I bumped into this forum, read and followed some button combination and none worked.

So here’s what I did to make mine come alive!

HOME + HOME + POWER (do not hold.  just press the combination buttons within 2 seconds)

I’m so happy that it worked!

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried the following with no such luck:

1. Home + Home + Power all within 2 seconds

2. 15 second reset holding the power button down

3. 30 second reset holdoing the power button down

and then While holding the power button down I also pressed the Center button

“It’s ALIVE”

Thanks for all the great suggestions, solutions and help! So happy now.

I had the same problem and and i tried all the suggestions and it still did not work

(it’s been dead for months)

Help

@arasue wrote:

I had the same problem and and i tried all the suggestions and it still did not work

(it’s been dead for months)

Help

At this point if it’s been dead for months, I’d try plugging it into your computer (or AC-USB charger) and leave it there for some time. In more than one case, leaving it to trickle-charge for up to a couple days will sometimes miraculously bring it back from the dead.

Also, some people have reported that while a 30-second hold of the on button didn’t work as a reset, 60 seconds or so did . . . .

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Thank you for this post. 

The HOME + HOME + POWER trick worked.  I thought for sure it was dead.

my v1 fuze 4gb would not charge or show in pc when connected. I tried all the tricks and the home home power center worked BUT only after it had a minimal charge on it. It was NOT charging, only getting hot and everything pointed to a bad battery, confirmed [wrongly] by an extended conversation with sansa 3rd tier tech support. so I fixed it this way - connect sansa usb cable to unit, plug in a pc usb, let it turn on and give moving flower graphic, THEN HOLD DOWN THE POWER UNTIL IT TURNS OFF. The pc is still ON. Give it about 20 minutes to do what i am calling a ‘player off trickle charge’. It worked to start it charging again and give it enough power to turn on FIRST using the battery power for the home home power center button cycle. once i get it fully charged using this method, i will get it recognized by pc, update the firmware again to replace potential corrupted files. cheers

This worked for me just before pitching the unit in the garbage.  Thanks!