SanDisk User

Re: Sansa Clip+ 32gb MicroSDHC class 6 problems

neutron_bob wrote:

<snip>

There are special SD card formatter utilities out there, which may help, though a basic Windows formatting should normally suffice.  Using the manage function (right click on My Computer), you can check the drive for errors, or go old school, and use the chkdsk utility from a command prompt.  Chkdsk also verifies the cluster allocation size for you.

<snip>

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The SD(HC) card formatter utility provided free by SD Association at

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

is the one you want for formatting micro SDHC card, I think.  The page above states

"SD or SDHC memory card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with official SD memory card requirements and optimum performance may not be experienced."

I have used this SD Formatter on several SDHC cards up to 32GB, and also the 16GB micro SDHC card currently in my Clip+ (using micro to SDHC adapter).

8GB Clip+ with 16GB Sandisk microSDHC
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 Headphones
Mostly FLAC
SanDisk Guru
mags1230

Sandclip wrote:

I have used this SD Formatter on several SDHC cards up to 32GB, and also the 16GB micro SDHC card currently in my Clip+ (using micro to SDHC adapter).

What format options did you use on the 32GB card?  Was it the Quick, Full (erase on) or Full (erase off)? 

And did you use the format size adjustment?  And how long did it take to format the card?

I was going to use the SD Formatter for my 32GB card, but if it'll take a couple of hours, like it took H2testw to write to the card, I'll pass and just keep on using Window's formatter.  I may not get my card's optimal performance, but it works well enough.

SanDisk Guru
Marvin_Martian

[ Edited ]

mags1230 wrote:

Sandclip wrote:

What format options did you use on the 32GB card?  Was it the Quick, Full (erase on) or Full (erase off)? 

And did you use the format size adjustment?  And how long did it take to format the card?

I was going to use the SD Formatter for my 32GB card, but if it'll take a couple of hours, like it took H2testw to write to the card, I'll pass and just keep on using Window's formatter.  I may not get my card's optimal performance, but it works well enough.

I've used the Quick format, size adjustment off, on my two 16GB cards, and also the internal memory of my four Sansas......works a treat and is fast.:smileywink:

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User

mags1230 wrote:

Sandclip wrote:

I used Full (Erase Off), no format size adjustment.  It took maybe 10 minutes to do my 16GB micro SDHC card, or thereabouts.

Does it matter if you use e.g. Windows generic formatter or SD Formatter to format an SD(HC) card?  Who knows?  The SD Association says it does, on the SD Formatter page.  I have not tested extensively to compare different formatting methods/tools for SD.

8GB Clip+ with 16GB Sandisk microSDHC
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 Headphones
Mostly FLAC
qualm

The SD(HC) card formatter utility provided free by SD Association at

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

So I ended up using this to format the card then scanned with H2testw here is the latest testresults:

Warning: Only 31787 of 31788 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
983 MByte OK (2013184 sectors)
30.0 GByte DATA LOST (63086592 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
30.0 GByte corrupted (63086592 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000003c678000
Expected: 0x000000003c678000
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 3.03 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.61 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

All 30gb corrupted.  I have filed with EBAY so hopefully I will get my money back.  Then I will buy a real card and not from some untrustworthy source.

thanks for the help.

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Unfortunately, from what I've read here, the report you got back is a sign that the card is not a 32GB card but, rather, a much smaller-sized card doctored to be made to seem bigger.  So sorry for you and good luck with eBay!   :smileysad:

SanDisk Guru
mags1230

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I've used the Quick format, size adjustment off, on my two 16GB cards, and also the internal memory of my four Sansas......works a treat and is fast.:smileywink:

Sandclip wrote:

I used Full (Erase Off), no format size adjustment.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Thanks guys.  I used the Quick format, it was faster, and there was a very slight improvement in speed.  Hardly enough to be worth mentioning. 

Perhaps the benefits of using the SD Formatter over the generic Windows one will show up when there's a glitch occuring on the card or when someone wants to use the same card in different devices.