Sansa Clip 01.01.20 Latest Firmware Download

Yep.  As posted by Click at anythingbutipod.com,

Oh Yeah!!! Thanks to some interesting info regarding firmware “regions” and filenames from dfkt; where he noted that the A & E FW are identical - I proposed maybe, ahh, checking some OTHER letters - so I have done that, and discovered what the letter codes mean…

m300*.bin; where * =

A = Americas. Radio, volume high
E = Europe. No radio, volume normal
F = France? Starts after upgrade with Language selection, radio, volume normal
G = Hebrew, no radio, volume normal (NO Arabic language choice)
H = Hebrew. with radio, else same as G
M = Arabic, no radio, volume normal (NO Hebrew language choice)
N = Arabic, with radio, else same as M
P = starts with language choice, radio, volume high, and forces MSC mode.
S = language prompt, no radio, volume high

Yep, change the firmware bin file suffix letter as you wish, with the current firmware (a new version is expected at any moment).  As posted by Click at anythingbutipod.com,

Oh Yeah!!! Thanks to some interesting info regarding firmware “regions” and filenames from dfkt; where he noted that the A & E FW are identical - I proposed maybe, ahh, checking some OTHER letters - so I have done that, and discovered what the letter codes mean…

m300*.bin; where * =

A = Americas. Radio, volume high
E = Europe. No radio, volume normal
F = France? Starts after upgrade with Language selection, radio, volume normal
G = Hebrew, no radio, volume normal (NO Arabic language choice)
H = Hebrew. with radio, else same as G
M = Arabic, no radio, volume normal (NO Hebrew language choice)
N = Arabic, with radio, else same as M
P = starts with language choice, radio, volume high, and forces MSC mode.
S = language prompt, no radio, volume high

@peabody wrote:

This has probably been covered before, but I just want to be sure this is on the fix list.  In v.20, the fast forward function does not work on large files.  I just downloaded a 64K mp3 file that’s 46 meg in size, and 1:38:00 long, and it appears to FF ok, but when I release that button, it goes to the next file.  I understand there will be a Podcast folder with bookmarks, but we still need a normal FF that works on large files.

My Clip with 01.01.20 firmware fast forwards (FF) and rewinds (RW) through large files just fine.  I download audiobooks (in DRM-protected WMA format) from both OverDrive and NetLibrary.  Overdrive breaks up the book into parts around one hour each while NetLibrary generally puts the entire book in one file.  I’ve listened to books from NetLibrary around 20 hours long with no problems with FF or RW.  An interesting behavior which I really like is when you FF and reach the end of the current track it will continue to FF into the next track (and vice versa if you RW).

It would be nice if the coming firmware (or the one after that) would allow changing the speed of playback to 0.8, 1.2, 1.4 times original speed (without affecting pitch) with all files in the special folders Sansafix has mentioned for podcasts and audiobooks.  I understand this is already an option with Audible downloads.  I’d like to be able to listen to more books and podcasts in the same amount of time as there is so much good content out there.

At one point I wanted an option to hear the track while FF or RW through audiobooks and podcasts but with the coming firmware and automatic bookmarking this option will be less important.  I guess there are still the times when I forget to pause and shut off the Clip when getting out of the car so it would still be nice as an option.  I think this option would only be necessary on audiobooks or podcasts so perhaps it can be available for files in the special folders.

A question for Sansafix, Audiobook & podcast listeners:  What do you think of the proposed options for future firmware??

Both variable speed and FF/REW with sound would be very nice.  I still think that FF/REW without sound is just like FF/REW on a VCR or DVD without a picture …

@miikerman wrote:
Both variable speed and FF/REW with sound would be very nice.  I still think that FF/REW without sound is just like FF/REW on a VCR or DVD without a picture …

Wouldn’t it just come out sounding like gibberish?

yes, which is why i think its kinda silly.

I suppose you woudl hear SOME of the stuff going on, but nothign worth fretting over.

@steveg wrote:

@peabody wrote:

This has probably been covered before, but I just want to be sure this is on the fix list.  In v.20, the fast forward function does not work on large files.  I just downloaded a 64K mp3 file that’s 46 meg in size, and 1:38:00 long, and it appears to FF ok, but when I release that button, it goes to the next file.  I understand there will be a Podcast folder with bookmarks, but we still need a normal FF that works on large files.

My Clip with 01.01.20 firmware fast forwards (FF) and rewinds (RW) through large files just fine.  I download audiobooks (in DRM-protected WMA format) from both OverDrive and NetLibrary.  Overdrive breaks up the book into parts around one hour each while NetLibrary generally puts the entire book in one file.  I’ve listened to books from NetLibrary around 20 hours long with no problems with FF or RW. 

Well, my Clip doesn’t behave so well.  The file I referred to originally was the one found here:

http://www.twit.tv/sn140

When I attempt to FF by holding down that button, it appears to be behaving properly, but when I release the button, instead of stopping at that point, it either skips to the beginning fo the next file, or if there isn’t one, it goes back to the beginning of the same file and goes into pause mode.

Maybe mine is defective.

@bowtie_bob wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

When implemented well (such as with the iRiver iHP-1xx player introduced 4 + years ago and a classic player), such as with a speed up ability, you can hear and make out enough to easily find your place in music and files.  Essential for music and language study.  It should be an absolute option for all modern players.  Not at all unlike a VCR or DVD player.

@miikerman wrote:

@bowtie_bob wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

When implemented well (such as with the iRiver iHP-1xx player introduced 4 + years ago and a classic player), such as with a speed up ability, you can hear and make out enough to easily find your place in music and files.  Essential for music and language study.  It should be an absolute option for all modern players.  Not at all unlike a VCR or DVD player.

Yeah- the MP3/CD stereo in my van (and it’s only a $90 Panasonic) RWs & FFs with sound…quite nicely, and you can tell with pretty good accuracey, where you are in a file.

Ahhh, come on!  The new fw’s still not out… :neutral_face:

as long as its being worked on, I’d be more gracious then complaintful. Its not like they have to work on teh firmware, and sansafix has been quite the assistance in various instances.

I’m pretty happy with the old firmware…don’t even know if I’ll upgrade. (I’ll let yous guys be the guinea pigs…)

:slight_smile:

SansaFix 

@cllipman wrote:
I’m pretty happy with the old firmware…don’t even know if I’ll upgrade. (I’ll let yous guys be the guinea pigs…)

I agree, the current FW has been very stable for me.  My only complaint is handling large M3U playlists (works, but very, very, slow to load).  But I think I heard this may be fixed in the new FW, in which case I can’t wait!

SansaFix is probably afraid to give us a status update at this point, but I’m sure everyone would appreciate it if he did. :smiley:

@cllipman wrote:

I take that back- They’re supposed to fix the problems with shuffle play ion the new FW…and i use shuffle alot…so I probably will upgrade.

Just because I waited impatiently for Santa Claus, doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate him :smiley:.

Just because I waited impatiently for Santa Claus, doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate him :smiley:.

@jay_dee63 wrote:
Just because I waited impatiently for Santa Claus, doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate him :smiley:.

So THAT’s how you got your Clip! (Well…at least we know youi were a good boy…or were at least able to pull the wool over the old geezer’s eyes!)

any chance of an ETA? I wanna make sure I can get to a computer!

I am all for R & D but give sansafix a break, you guys are obsessing over a firmware upgrade. I would be too if sandisk anounced FLAC support for this wonderfull clip, but untill then I suggest switching to decaf.