Sansa Clip 01.01.20 Latest Firmware Download

Applied and running fine. A big thanks to the Sansa people behind this firmware update. Much appreciated the new volume range!

Today I ordered a Sansa Clip from this website:
http://www.pixmania.nl/nl/nl/621373/art/sandisk/mp3-speler-fm-sansa-clip.html?srcid=104
I wanted a Clip with fm radio, which was a bit difficult to find here in Holland, but I assume that the ordered one has radio because it explicitly says “FM”.
Now my question. As soon as I receive the Clip I will update the firmware. But I am not sure which version I have to choose. I suppose I will get the “European” Clip, but did I understand it correctly (from reading this thread) that the new  European firmware is not meant for the Clip with fm radio, so that I will have to choose the American version ?

As far as I have heard, the only difference between firmware versions relates to the FM radio (and possibly volume limitation for the EU)?  In fact, one of the forum members has shown that if you simply change the letter in your firmware version to “a” pre-installing the bin file, you will get the fm radio.

I’m confused. I’ve trying copying and pasting, cutting and pasting, dragging onto my (one-day-old) SanDisk icon in Windwos Explorer/File Manager, the new version .20 update (It’s the the m300a.bin file, right? That’s the only thing that extracts from the patch. I know cause I tried extracting it twice to see if I’d somehow lost something…).  Nothing, nada, zippo!  (Yes, I unplugged the darling thing, turned it off and back on, looked in Information and it’s still version.18.  I haven’t tried establishing a “Send to” for it, but is that next?)

I don’t know any other possible way to move the .bin file onto the little thing. What am I doing wrong?

Elenor

Connect in MSC mode as follows: Disconnect the cable, turn the Clip OFF, slide the power/hold switch DOWN to “hold”, press and hold the center button, plug in the cable, and wait until the Clip reads “connected” (your PC should also make some sounds as it detects the Clip), then release the button.

Now you should have a new drive letter, this is the Clip. Extract the m300a.bin file somewhere (desktop for example), then drag it onto the drive letter. Do NOT drag it directly from the zip file (or explorer view in Windows) to the Clip; you must extract it first.

When it is done copying (seconds), disconnect the cable. It should then display “Firmware Update…”, then “Completed…”, and turn OFF.

Next power up, it will be at the new FW version.

Message Edited by Click on 01-30-2008 08:21 AM

Thanks so much! 

I tried setting the USB to MSC intentionally (from USB AutoSelect) and then restarted Windows Explorer/File Manager and a different “version” of the Click showed up. (When I first connected it to an already-open Explorer, I got TWO icons - one of which had the Data and Music folders/directories in it; the other was “empty.” Neither of which would accept the .bin file.)  (After the firmware upgrade, I’m back to the two Clip icons in Explorer… Ah WIndows XP, it’s … a … jewel?)

By changing the USB to MSC (whatever that means!)  (under System Information on the Clip), the “new” Icon had different files (in ALL CAPS), and it immediately accepted the .bin file, and then the regular directions worked (disconnected, firmware updated, and all, as described).

But I sure wish the little thing came with an actual set of DIRECTIONS in the box!!

Elenor

Yes I’ve also noticed that XP retains the Clip icon from a MTP connection, and switching to MSC then adds the drive letter Clip. Of course in that condition the little Clip icon is just an illusion as seen only by a misguided operating system :smiley:

Glad you got it worked out!

Thanks Milkerman for the reply, but I am still confused.
Do you mean that I can either use the EU firmware and change the letter from e to a, or use the American firmware and don’t change anything ? Or should I always download the EU version and doing the change ?

Message Edited by rijnton on 01-30-2008 07:36 AM

rijnton wrote:

Do you mean that I can either use the EU firmware and change the letter from e to a, or use the American firmware and don’t change anything ? Or should I always download the EU version and doing the change ?

Either option will produce the exact same results…so do what’s easiest for you. (Probably just changing the letter on the already-downloaded file)

rijnton wrote:

I don’t know if the EU versions still contain volume limitation.  Personally, I would install the “a” (U.S.) version, just to avoid that, if they do.

Actually you can just rename the file “m300.bin” without ANY letter, and it will update your existing region with the new FW functionality. I suspect this is how the Sansa Firmware Updater deploys the firmware to any given device without needing to check what region it is loaded with.

There is no volume limitation per se; the difference is only that the EU and Mediterranean regions are defaulted to “Normal” volume after FW upgrade, Americas and Pacific get High volume as default. Also, Pacific gets MSC mode by default. :wink:

Thanks again for the replies.
Btw, what exactly is the volume limitation ? Is it also a limitation of the maximum volume or only an extension of the minimum volume possible ?

Volume limitation is required in the EU, by regulation.  It just limits how loud the player can get, ostensibly for safety reasons.  But as you have seen here, it appears that you can avoid it simply by setting the volume to high, rather thn normal, in the Clip’s settings.

Firmware version 20 reduces the minimum volume level, for listening in low ambient sound environments. There was a lot of complaints about that and Sansa came through with the fix, and it does not reduce the maximum volume level.

You’ll notice if you start out in “Normal” and crank the volume to max, then switch to “High” setting, that the volume indicator is now only a bit over half way. The added range above that represents the increased level available in “High”.

I did something wrong because I downloaded the firmware and now all my music is gone from my clip…:cry:

Metalfan wrote:

I did something wrong because I downloaded the firmware and now all my music is gone from my clip…:cry:

Does it appear to be gone when you look at the Clip itself, or when you look at its contents via Windows Media Player or some other music manager?

Because if you loaded your music via MTP, but then switched your Clip to MSC in order to load the firmware, then your music will not be visible in WMP until you switch your Clip back to MTP (and how do you like that alphabet soup?).

Otherwise … did you do a format before you loaded the firmware?

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-01-2008 10:13 PM

Loading new firmware does not format the Clip, but it does (in most cases) reset the USB mode to Auto (which XP will detect as an MTP device).

Try going into the Clip’s Settings/USB menu and changing it to MSC mode, reconnect and see if your music is back :smiley:

Great job with the minimum volume fix!

I bought the european version with FM radio - downloaded the new firmware 01.01.20E and lost my Radio! I then looked at the rest of the thread and saw that you need to delete the e from the firmware file m300e.bin and try again - and you get the radio back - then you need to set the radio settings to world and the volume setting to normal…

Very good - BUT - Sansa - to save worry and angst for your european customers with FM radio these instructions should be on the first page of the thread not buried on page 6 by whoever kindly first offered them!

BTW I am assuming that this method is not a cheap way for european customers who bought the non-fm radio version to get the radio? :wink:

And lastly a suggestion for the next updates if possible.

1. RDS support for the FM radio?
  2. The * idea for the golist (mentioned by quite a few) is a great idea - but also - could the golist be available as a playlist file on synchronisation with the pc - so you can save your golists?

Apart from all that the CLIP is a brilliant product - exactly what you need for a mp3 player - I am reccommending this product highly to all friends and family.

Okay, I’m having a weird problem that I didn’t have with the last firmware update. I plug my Clip into my computer, the directory shows up and everything, but I cannot extract or drag & drop the .bin file into it - all I get is the ‘circle with a line through it’ icon. I’ve tried connecting it when it’s on, and connecting it when it’s off. I’ve even done the 15-second reset thing with the power button and renamed the .bin file to m300.

Can anyone help?