Sandisk SANSA CLIP + and battery !

I request to all those willing to help. I have two weeks SanDisk Sansa Clip + 8 GB. Plays great, it works ok but the battery is not ok. Charged battery was approximately twice already and each time the battery indicator shows about 40% to the player turns off and the battery information is low. Is this normal behavior?

noktovizor

How long is your battery lasting?  With “normal” use, 10-12 hours seems to be a norm; for some, up to 14-15 hours.

Unfortunately, the player’s display screen battery gauge can be a bit “wonky” and inaccurate  You can get more accurate information under the System information screen under the player’s Settings.  

Hey,

I have the same problem. It just dies at around 40%. I think it started happening when i upgraded to firmware 01.02.18.  It also looks like battery life is significantly worse, not just innacurate battery level indicator.

Cheers

morda

You can try re-installing a previous firmware version and see if that corrects things. If so, this information would be helpful to the dev. team at SanDisk.

Try this one:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/clipplus/clipplus01.02.15.zip

and let us know if it makes a difference.

I just love your forum.Thanks for posting it.url=[http://www.eboxsystems.com]ssd drives price in Pakistan[/url] it have something that someone comeback again….there is a lot of useful information a person can get from here…url=[http://www.eboxsystems.com]windows price in pakitan[/url] I must say,well done.A good forum with great discussion and a good users,which contribute in the forum

Hi Tapeworm,

I did some checks on 01.02.18 and battery indeed dies at ~40%. I was checking under System settings - Information, not only looking at battery level icon.

2nd thing is I connect it to charge and it stops at ~80%, 82% to be exact. I mean battery icon shows full level, it’s not “filling up” anymore, I disconnect, go to Settings - Information and it says 82%. I reconnect and it charges again (battery icon shows 60-70% and is “filling up”). I disconnect immediately while it’s charging, and battery indicator jumps to full again, but system information says 83%. I then connect for another charge, which takes 1-2 hours until battery icon is full and now system information says 100%. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

morda

Most importantly, how long is your playtime? Unfortunately, the Clips’ battery gauge is known to be, um, idiosyncratic. (A more accurate picture of the battery charge can be obtained through the System settings/Info. page on the players.)

Hey,

I haven’t measured play time yet but it seems to be decent/acceptable. As I mentioned, I’ve been loking at System Settings/Info page to check battery level. There are two problems (this is all by looking at System Settings/Info):

1. battery dies at ~40%

2. it stops charging at ~80%, you have to disconnect and reconnect to charge it up to 100% (or it still charges, but you don’t know because battery indicator is full and you can’t go to system settings while charging to check the level) People will just disconnect it  and use thinking it’s full.

Cheers,

morda

As noted, a faulty battery charge gauge and related.  But fortunately, you’re getting a full charge or thereabouts (a consolation to be sure).  

Hi, I installed 01.02.18 and the player died. Once fired, and he died. No button did not work. Only when I used the START and LOCK button it started. I changed to 01.02.15 and it works. However, the battery indicator on bad points. In addition, the sound is slightly changed, is less bass and quieter. I’ll try to go back to 01.02.17 as I had when buying.

@noktovizor wrote:

Hi, I installed 01.02.18 and the player died. Once fired, and he died. No button did not work. Only when I used the START and LOCK button it started. I changed to 01.02.15 and it works. However, the battery indicator on bad points. In addition, the sound is slightly changed, is less bass and quieter. I’ll try to go back to 01.02.17 as I had when buying.

The firmware version would have nothing to do with this. Most likely you set the Region to Europe and your volume is capped due to the EU regulation. Reset the Factory Settings and choose Rest Of World. Now you should have your HIGH volume setting back in the Music Options.

It would be nice if battery indicators and such worked as they should, but here is my experience:

1. My laptop seems ok, the indicator and time left seem to be ok, but I’ve never run the thing completely down, so can’t be sure.

2. I’ve yet to get a device that does what the spec says, whether it’s playtimg from the clip, run time from my cheap cell phone number of pics from my camera etc. One exception, I had a Canon p&s that did pretty good.

3. The shiny new car I got last year has a fancy fuel monitoring system that shows tank capacity (like every other car ever made except the early VW bug). It tells me miles to go before I need to refill, average mpg, running mpg etc.

a) The average mpg is consistently 5 mpg higher than I actually measure.

b) The miles to fillup starts flashing at a little under 60 miles to go, gauge shows two bars.

c) If I ignore it and just keep driving, after 20 miles or so the thing goes blank, like FU ■■■■■, now you’re on your own.

d) When I do fill up, I’ve never put more than 10 gallons in what is said to be a 11.5 gallon tank.

1. Despite 2 bypass operations, stomach surgery years ago and a couple of other things, I’m now exceeding the average life expectancy figure for an American male. Actually, I was born in England, maybe that explains it. Anywas, I’m not complaining about this liitle factoid.

Moral of al this is like politicians, specs and statistics sometimes lie a little.

@miikerman wrote:

As noted, a faulty battery charge gauge and related.  But fortunately, you’re getting a full charge or thereabouts (a consolation to be sure).  

This is not only faulty battery gauge. I’m not getting a full charge, it stops at 80%, even though gauge shows 100%. It wouldn’t be a problem if I got 100% with gauge showing 80% or anything. This thing is not charging to full capacity regardless of battery indicator. I have to disconnect and reconnect to charge to 100%.