SanDisk Clip takes 5 minutes to boot

I have a Clip+ (8 gig resident and a 32G Sandisk MicroSD) - all songs are on the Sd card, none on the player.  I have about 16 gig loaded - well over 5,000 songs - all songs ripped from my CD collection. All are MP3 format. I use Windows Media player to rip the Cds to the library on my computers - desktop is Microsoft 7, and laptop is 8.1.

It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to refresh the playlist when I add songs - I am willing to live with that, since I only add songs once a month or so.

However, it does take more than five minutes to boot the player when I power it on - every time.  Is this normal with the number of songs? I use the player daily at work - but was turnign it off when I went to lunch or on breaks - but the reboot time was too long so I now just turn the peaker off and allow th eplayer to play silently - if I pause the song, the player turns itself off automatically, leading to the long reboot time.

Are these long boot times normal for so many songs? Is there a setting to prolong the auto-**bleep** off when the player is paused?

Definitely not normal for the boot–should only be seconds.  Perhaps, try manually reapplying the latest firmware (see the firmware thread at the top of the forum)?

Won’t solve bootup troubles, but the long refresh can also be shortened (though not eliminated by any means) by cleaning up your tags–blanking out Comments, removing album art (especially big .bmp or .png files), etc. If you have album art imbedded in the tag of every song, as I often see in downloaded albums, there’s a trick to remove it.

Use  mp3tag. 

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ —don’t hit the big Download buttons, right-click on the mp3tag(version)setup.exe file and save it. 

Open the album folder, highlight all the tracks, and if album art appears, it’s imbedded. Use View, Extended Tags, click the little floppy icon to save the art as folder.jpg (or folder.png) in the same folder, and then click the X button to delete all the imbedded art. 

Thanks for both suggestions - I will try them and get back to you.

Okay - I played with my Sandisk this morning.  I downloaded and installed mp3tag - removed the MicroSD card fromthe player and plugged it directly into my laptop.  There is no art embedded into any song, no comments - only the basic information on the artists, writers, year, etc that is sort of necessary IMO.

All of my music comes from the CDs where I download if not the entire CD, at least most of the songs into a folder. I have very few songs purchased online where I can imagine the art would be embeddede in the song rather than the album.

So I suppose my next step is to update firmware. When I had the microSD card out of the player, I decided to boot it up to find current version - and it decided to go into a loop of giving the start screen graphic over and over while never actually starting. I tried holding the start button for sixty seconds several times to no avail.

However, upon reinstalling hte MicroSD card, it when through the process of indexing and began playing again as normal.As Argent is playing right now - I suppose I will wait until a song I don’t like so much to fiddle with the settings and mess with the firmware.

Yeah–at least listen to a good song first.   :wink:

I have found that switching between MTP and MSC mode sometimes makes Sansas temperamental about the card slot.  If you are on Auto Detect and switching between newer and older or PC and Mac/Linux computers, you may have some tracks transferred via MTP and some via MSC.  Especially if you are switching between PC and non-PC, you’re better off putting it in MSC rather than Auto Detect.

When you want to experiment again,  go into Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and note what’s there in case you ever want to go back to it. Switch it to MSC, take out the card, and try connecting again to see if you can make the simplest connection to the internal memory, which is MSC.

The nuclear option is then to clear it off completely and reload,  making sure all your music is transferred under one mode or the other. I prefer MSC; some people like to use Windows Media Player for synching, playlists, etc. and MTP is for them.

To clear off all the music–make sure you have copes elsewhere–use Format (under Settings/System Settings).  And, of course, hold your head up.

All of the music was ripped from CD via Windows Media Player - with my old SanDisk player I used the player to sync with Meida Player until I filled all 8 gig. I have no music onthe new one, all of the music is on theSanDisk MicroSD card and I just plug the card into the same old desktop I use for my music collection, and drag and drop the files I want onto the card.

Okay now - I just checked and the USB setting was in auto-detect mode so I changed it. When I rebooted, it booted fatser into USB mode - at least now I can update the root files

w I am getting pissed - the POS player now refuses to turn on or boot up. Dead.  Irt is less than 6 months old and it died, and refused to allow me to upate the firmware - would not connect to the laptop.  Now the screen is blak and will not boot, and I am about to stomp it into pieces, and find another MP3 player that will actually work without headaches.  My first Sansa player lasted several years of hard use without issue, this thing is tempramental and not worth my aggravation.

@viol8ion wrote:

w I am getting pissed - the POS player now refuses to turn on or boot up. Dead.  Irt is less than 6 months old and it died, and refused to allow me to upate the firmware - would not connect to the laptop.  Now the screen is blak and will not boot, and I am about to stomp it into pieces, and find another MP3 player that will actually work without headaches. 

Have you tried a simple reset? It may not be dead at all, but just playing possum.

Yes, it does nothing other than turn the screen a lighter shade of gray. And I am upset that SanDisk seems to be the top rte MP3 player unless I want to dish out $300 for an Ipod (which I REFUSE to do).  If this is the best, then the other must really be ■■■■. You’d think in the 21st century that there would be somebody out there able to build a dependable music player…

@viol8ion wrote:

w I am getting pissed - the POS player now refuses to turn on or boot up. Dead.  Irt is less than 6 months old and it died, and refused to allow me to upate the firmware - would not connect to the laptop.  Now the screen is blak and will not boot, and I am about to stomp it into pieces . . . .

Ah–warranty!  Contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement.

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/v

Ah - a link to a page that gives me 404 error…

Try this one:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Or you can simply click on the big red SanDisk logo in the upper left of any page here and then on the Contact Us link in the upper right of the Sandisk Home page.

It could well be a lemon, so go for the warranty if you prefer. But you could also try a couple other fixes before you do. 

Will it boot up now without the card? Just curious. If it does, that suggests problems with the card or card slot. 

One corrupt file on the microSD card could make it go nuts. You could put the card reader into your computer and go to My Computer, right-click on the disc, Tools, Error-Checking and see if it finds anything. 

Also, do you have another USB-microUSB cord from a camera or phone? The bad connection might just be from a broken cord. With your old cord, or a different one,  plug the USB into the computer, hold down the << button and connect. That  forces the basic MSC connection.

Then if you do get the connection you could reload the firmware. You can download the firmware file from the sticky near the top of the page, Unzip it, and drag it onto the Sansa Clip driveletter if you can make the connection.  When you disconnect it will install the firmware again. 

It completely flaked out - it will only come up to a blank green screen when I attempt to boot up.  I cahrged it several hours on a dedicated USB charger. I tried a few more hours hooks to the PC. I tried with and without the MicroSD card.

However, after MUCH searchng on the site I finally found the warranty terms - they do a swell job of hiding that stuff. I actually had to do a Google search to find the chart! I contacted them, awaiting response on what I need to do to get warranty repair - it is under 90 days old - purchased March 14 of this year.

Just to be safe, I just bought another one from Amazon, because I am certain that even if the warranty replacement is free of cost, they will do nothing to rush an exchange. Then I will always have a spare …

Good to see that it’s worked out.  And actually, SanDisk seems to be pretty good with warranty replacements.

I was cn tacted this morning by SanDisk and they know what the problem is and we are now working on replacement - very proactive warranty if it all works out.

Many years ago my g/f bought an iPod and it failed after about 4 months, and warranty did not cover it.  I complete loss and it helped towards my opinion that Apple ■■■■■. That iPod cost me much more than my sanDisk - this is my second and the first broke after many years of hard use.

For the money, from what I have researched, Sandisk is the best buy.