SDHC card showing as empty.

Hi all,

I got a Sandisk Sansa 4 Gig for my sons birthday after a lot of research and a leap of faith going from Apple…but I’m starting to regret it!  help me before I send it back!

Firstly, I’ve seen this same issue replied to here - http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/4gb-sansa-clip-does-not-recognize-files-on-micro-sd/td-p/254048 but I’ll explain why that’s no good.

I bought a 32gig class 10 SDHC micro card to go with it.  He’s 15, so I left him to set it all up (from a previous ITUNES library) and he’s given up.  I know my way round a computer, and now I want to throw it out of the window…kind of wishing I’d bought an IPOD for the extra 40 quid (and less storage, granted, but 4 hours of my time I’l never get back.

I’ve put the files onto the card (MPEG 4, by the looks) and it shows on the computers as on there, but the Sandisk says it’s empty, under music and CARD.

So I tried Amazon files.  Still the same.

I tried straight from CD - no change.

Tried it on Windows Media Player, which converted the files (though I’d rather not use that, one of the selling points of this was dragging straight to a drive) - no change.

Because my computer uses windows 8 ( I know, I’m stupid) I used a windows 7 one, which showed the files on the card perfectly, reformatted it, and tried again - still empty.

I’ve looked through the above link, and it recommends various things - but I don’t really want to use Rockbox!  For one, I didn’t want to be constraint to more software, after losing ITUNES, and secondly, Windows 8 hates other software!

HELP!

I started messing with this at 1700 - I sooo wish I had got another device!  Going to wait a day to see if I get anything on here, then will send back.

Re-formatted card, using the industry standard software - didn’t change.

tried to use updater on Windows 8, it says not compatable.

Used it on the WIndows 7 PC, it will only run the instruction booklet, no updater!

Tried to run Rockbox, pointed it at the only SANSA stuff I have on the PC, it wouldn’t recognise it!  ARGH!  I’ve never had anything so fricking difficult!

A few questions:

1.  Which player do you have, a Clip or Clip+?

2.  Is the player’s USB mode set to MSC?  It can work more carefree than MTP mode (or Auto, which can switch between the 2).

3.  What is the format of the files you’re transferring to the player?  .mp3, .aac, etc.?  (In essence, is the format compatible with the Clip.)

4.  It’s been reported that some Clips don’t play well with Class 10 microSD cards–can you try using a Class 4 (or 2) card?

5.  Do you have the same issues with files loaded onto the player’s internal memory (that is, not the removable memory card)?

A few questions:

1.  Which player do you have, a Clip or Clip+?

2.  Is the player’s USB mode (under System settings) set to MSC?  It can work more carefree than MTP mode (or Auto, which can switch between the 2).

3.  What is the format of the files you’re transferring to the player?  .mp3, .aac, etc.?  (In essence, is the format compatible with the Clip.)

4.  It’s been reported that some Clips don’t play well with Class 10 microSD cards–can you try using a Class 4 (or 2) card?

5.  Do you have the same issues with files loaded onto the player’s internal memory (that is, not the removable memory card)?

And, sorry you’re having issues.   :frowning:

2 possible causes and/or issues:

1.) I don’t believe MPEG 4 is supported on the Clip+, only on the newer Zip model (and even then not 100%). This is a common Apple/iTunes/iPod format used for the expressed purpose of keeping users/customers with Apple and away from the competion’s products. They know you will get frustrated and then go back and pay their obscenely bloated prices to their inadequate devices.

2.) As mentioned, there have been many who have reported compatibility issues with Class 10 cards. These are designed for shooting HD video. A worthless benefit (and expense)  to someone using them in a lowly mp3 player which runs just ducky with a Class 2. Whatever the reason and/or cause of the conflict, it’s best to avoid the situation altogether and just go with a Class 4, which is plentiful, more reasonably priced and works like a charm . . .  that is of course, #1 isn’t an issue.

Hi thanks loads of replying - it’s a Sansa Clip plus I think, and to answer the questions, -

1.  Is the player’s USB mode (under System settings) set to MSC?  It can work more carefree than MTP mode (or Auto, which can switch between the 2).  Yes I changed it.

2.  What is the format of the files you’re transferring to the player?  .mp3, .aac, etc.?  (In essence, is the format compatible with the Clip.) Some were MP4 via ITUNES.  However I used the CD ones and the Amazon stuff, and it was the same. (MP3 Format Sound (.mp3))

3.  It’s been reported that some Clips don’t play well with Class 10 microSD cards–can you try using a Class 4 (or 2) card?  I tried it with my phone’s class 4, and get the same.

4.  Do you have the same issues with files loaded onto the player’s internal memory (that is, not the removable memory card)?  I managed to move one into the memory of the clip, but some were just giving the message “No memory available” :frowning:

And comments from the other kind reply -

1.) I don’t believe MPEG 4 is supported on the Clip+, only on the newer Zip model (and even then not 100%). This is a common Apple/iTunes/iPod format used for the expressed purpose of keeping users/customers with Apple and away from the competion’s products. They know you will get frustrated and then go back and pay their obscenely bloated prices to their inadequate devices.  I get your point about Apple, which is why I bought this device, but I’ve tried other formats.  I have to confess, I know my way around a computer, but this has proved too much!  i’ve been trying to sort this for probably a total of 6 to 8 hours over the weekend, and I’ve given up now!  I’m in a viscious circle of not being able to download the firmware updater, not being able to download rockbox, etc, and it’s driven me mad - plus a very disappointed birthday boy! 

2.) As mentioned, there have been many who have reported compatibility issues with Class 10 cards. These are designed for shooting HD video. A worthless benefit (and expense)  to someone using them in a lowly mp3 player which runs just ducky with a Class 2. Whatever the reason and/or cause of the conflict, it’s best to avoid the situation altogether and just go with a Class 4, which is plentiful, more reasonably priced and works like a charm . . .  that is of course, #1 isn’t an issue.  The class 10 card was barely more money than the class4.  I got a class 10 just in case it txed the files quicker - probably nonsense, but there is little money in it now. 

I hate to admit it, but I’ve now given up!  I know all the arguments about Apple - overpriced, not as good, but this has been too much hassle now, I’ve tried everything!  Plus I reckon the nano is £30 more than this set up, it’s not a hell of a lot more money (Yes I know there may be sound benefits)

When I couldn’t get the firmware updater to work, or the manual firmware to go on properly, it was the straw that broke the horses back!

I suspect this is a great player, but for me, it’s not worked out.