SC+ Charge, Disconnect, No Go.

Hi. I’ve just spent somewhere around 7 or 8 hours charging my SansaClip, only to disconnect it from my computer and have it not turn on at all. I’ve tried everything. Holding down the power button for 30+ seconds didn’t so anything, nor did holding it down alongside the home button. Just a black screen. Plugging it into my computer, the SansaClip+ springs to life, and reveals on the Clip’s HUD that it’s fully charged. However, the computer reads it as “Critically Low”.

Help?

EDIT: Other things I’ve tried so far is formatting my player, which worked as well as one could probably expect. Still showed up as 0%, and still would _not turn on when it was disconnected from the computer. _After restarting the computer, it now reads the device as 100% power… But it still will not turn on, no matter how long or hard I press the power button or any other combination of buttons I can think of. How about lending a guy a hand?

Other things I’ve tried so far is formatting my player, which worked as well as one could probably expect. Still showed up as 0%, and still would _not turn on when it was disconnected from the computer. _After restarting the computer, it now reads the device as 100% power… But it still will not turn on, no matter how long or hard I press the power button or any other combination of buttons I can think of. How about lending a guy a hand?

Does the battery icon on the Clip+'s screen indicate that it was charging (animated)?

Did you try a different USB port?

Is your computer a desktop or laptop? Laptops are sometimes problematic.

Are you plugging it directly into the computer itself, or into a USB hub?

Have you tried charging with an AC-USB charger, like one for a cell phone?

Is this a brand new unit, or one you’ve had for a while?

If new, have you tried returning it to where you bought it?

If not new, has it charged before or is this a recent problem?

Have you tried a different cable? Just because it makes a data connection when plugged into your computer doesn’t mean the charging wires or pins inside the cable haven’t broken or become loose.

When trying the reset procedure, are you doing it correctly? After holding the power button for 20-30 secs. You must release it, then press it again momentarily to start it up.

If not new, is it still within the warranty period?

Have you tried contacting SanDisk Tech Support for a possible warranty replacement?

By the way, the “Critically Low” message is a known Windows 7 bug when using MTP or Auto Defect mode on the player. It means nothing. And charging time for a completely discharged unit should only take a maximum of 3-4 hours. People have sometimes reported strange issues (like yours, for one) when forgetting and leaving it plugged in longer, especially if the computer goes into stand-by or hibernation mode with it plugged in.

• It animates once (shows battery filling animation). After that, it stays full for the duration it’s plugged in.
  • I’ve tried two so far. No avail.
  • Desktop.
  • I am plugging directly into the front of my computer.
  • I have not. I also don’t think I have one.
  • I’ve had this unit for around 3-4 months.
  • This is a recent problem. Something similar has only once happened before, in which case I was simply able to restart it by holding down the button - to find that the battery was near out.
  • I haven’t tried any other cables. I also doubt that’s the problem, since the cable itself doesn’t actually go anywhere (i.e. has no capacity to get damaged)
  • I have just retried the reset procedure (including the second press, which I forgot! Thanks for informing me.) No good.
  • Warranty requires a receipt, which I stupidly lost.

Guess SanDisk gets another 40$ from me.

They may have changed things, but SanDisk did not used to require a receipt for warranty purposes; the serial number was generally sufficient. Since it appears your unit is still within the warranty period (3-4 months old), I would call them and see what they can do for you.

SanDisk Tech Support/Customer Service

Note the warranty only applies to ‘new’ products. If this unit was bought as ‘re-furbed’ somewhere, no warranty applies.

Definitely a “contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement” issue. But, since you seem to be the adventurous sort, you might first try reapplying the firmware and see if that works–it can become corrupted.