SANSA CLIP JUST STOPPED WORKING

That meanst he firmware is corrupted, unless you were trying to modify the firmware right before it happened, its probably due to a bad memory chip.  RMA it.

omg, seriously?

no, it was sat on my desk… and now, is dead.

i’m not in us anymore, i’m back to brazil… ill spend twice the price of the device on shipping =s

are you sure that is what happened?

i cant believe… really… how can i trust on sansdisk hardware if that kind of stuff suddenly happens for NO reason?

No reason necessary. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had mine for about 3 months and think it’s great - in particular the “hold recollection” - remembering where you are on whatever you are playing across several tracks, and the very quick fast forward - both useful if all you listen to are 2 or 3 hours podcasts…

Anyway, it just stopped as the battery was low (during the Beatles “For Noone” on the radio show I listen to), and the screen was completely blank when I attached the player to the computer. I thought it was all over. But… I read this thread, plugged it in again and held the Power Button for at least a minute (whilst I read some more of this), and when I looked again it was back on. It didn’t come on after 30 seconds, so I’d suggest people hold the power button down for at lleast a minute or more before they give up on it (or  leave it to power overnight).

Thanks for the info.  A minute or more–wow!

A minute or more holding down the power button in my case - maybe because the battery was very low as well. So I’d suggest not stopping after twenty seconds if it hasn’t worked by then.

If this happens a lot, then maybe Sandisk should think maybe there’s a problem with the product.  YA THINK???

@qaan wrote:

If this happens a lot, then maybe Sandisk should think maybe there’s a problem with the product.  YA THINK???

The thread only has 20 posts in it, and it had been dormant for months before your post…but I’m sure no matter what  I say, you’ll

@qaan wrote:

No I don’t. Most problems are caused by the files that the users put on the players. They could be corrupted, maybe from downloading illegal and questionable files from file-sharing stealing sites like Limewire, or they could have ID3 tag issues that people either don’t know about, or are too lazy to correct.

Millions of people are satisfied with their SanDisk mp3 players and have no problems whatsoever, provided they take the time to learn about and correctly use them. A handful of people posting here with issues (that may or may not be hardware or firmware related) does not constitute a problem with the design of the player itself.

Yes, there are some units that are defective. This happens with anything that is mass-produced. But far less than 1% complaint/problem/defective/return rate is not a world-wide catastrophe or cause for alarm.

I’m so happy I found this forum on my lunch hour at work.   I was happily listening to music and it just stopped.

Tried the reset by holding the power button down and viola!  I’m happily listening to my music again. 

Thanks a million!

Cool! And the User Manual is a good thing. :wink: http://www.sandisk.com/media/327475/CLIP+_UM_0809_ENG+090309.pdf

Marvin_Martian - do you actually work for SANSA?  If so, I hope your boss calls you to account for this post.  Qaan is absolutely correct - if this is a persistent issue, the company should fix it.
Consider this…the thread went dead but that doesn’t mean people aren’t reading it to figure out why the MP3 player they’ve had for less than a week suddenly stopped working.  Had I read this thread before buying the clip, I’d have gone with a different brand.  Your cavalier attitude leaves a bad taste for the SANSA brand.  

@boredatwork wrote:

Marvin_Martian - do you actually work for SANSA?  If so, I hope your boss calls you to account for this post.  Qaan is absolutely correct - if this is a persistent issue, the company should fix it.
Consider this…the thread went dead but that doesn’t mean people aren’t reading it to figure out why the MP3 player they’ve had for less than a week suddenly stopped working.  Had I read this thread before buying the clip, I’d have gone with a different brand.  Your cavalier attitude leaves a bad taste for the SANSA brand.  

I would suggest you read this post…http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/SANSA-CLIP-JUST-STOPPED-WORKING/m-p/235824#M37533

And no, I do not work for Sansa.:wink:

I just came across this forum after my Sansa stopped for no reason (though interestingly only after a couple of days of auto Sansa firmware search/update activity over the last couple of days…hmmm!).

I see truth on both sides here. 

(a) This is a great little machine and I wouldn’t change it despite a couple of problems and replacements (previous 2 my own fault and self produced careless damage)

(b) it is unacceptable that such an excellent little device should stop working for no reason - and I have nothing in the way of ‘illegal’ music on my machine - everything is a legitimate download (its now about 2 yrs old & faultless previous use)

(c) this must clearly be a system fault as why would a reset fix it?  If it was illegal software it would simply crash again immediately or never restart

(d) it is widely accepted in business that every explicit complaint hides another 50 or so who haven’t complained but have the same problem - this is likely a bigger problem than revealed in this esoteric little forum exchange

(e) thanks for the reset tip which did work immediately - why isn’t this widely known ? (Don’t say it’s in the manual, if it is - who ever reads those; it should be in block capitals on the box when you buy it --TRY THIS FIRST if you have a problem…)

Ken

Most problems on the Clip+ are due to tag issues. The player is very fussy when it comes to tags. If you want the player to work well, you need to edit the tags on the files before putting them on the player. The free program mp3Tag is very good for that. Search the forums here for more information about mp3Tag.

@ken664 wrote:

(e) thanks for the reset tip which did work immediately - why isn’t this widely known ? (Don’t say it’s in the manual, if it is - who ever reads those; it should be in block capitals on the box when you buy it --TRY THIS FIRST if you have a problem…)

Ken

Perhaps SanDisk was listening to you:  the reset suggestion is listed as items 2 and 3 in the new Clip Zip Quick Start manual, under the Tips and Trobleshooting section (although not in bold or capital letters), right after the suggestion to upgrade the firmware.  (It’s also in the full manual, with its own “mini-section.”)

@ken664 wrote:

I know you asked not to say it, but I’m going to . . . Yes, it IS in the manual.

And EVERYBODY should read the manual for any product they buy. If they don’t, they only have themselves to blame when they don’t know how that product or feature works, or what to do when said product or feature doesn’t work.

Git 'yer head outta the sand and spend 10 minutes reading it. You might be amazed at what you learn.

Smiley

my sansa has also stopped working i read the manual and this whole forum, the only thing i havent tried is overnight charging, but when i plug it in to charge it gets really really hot to the touch. any advice?

Hot is NOT good.

What are you using to charge it; a computer or AC-USB charger? If it’s a AC charger, maybe it’s gone wonky. If it’s your computer, try a different USB port, but keep a eye on it. Warm is OK, and it will be a little warmer for the first part of the charging cycle if it’s completely discharged. As it charges, the circuitry inside the player regulates the charging level so it decreases it fills up.

But as I said, hot is not good. You said you tried virutally everything, but you didn’t say what these things were. I assume you tried a reset, then? Holding the power switch in the uppermost position for 20-30 seconds? You might even try it for up to a minute.

Not saying this is it, but the original Clips had some issues with bad solder joints on the battery leads. Maybe this is your problem?

yeah i held the button several times ranging from 10 seconds to 2 minutes, i tried both usb ports and my a/c charger, each one gets it just as hot just as fast :robotsad: the first time i tried charging it today i plugged it into the computer and the sansa symbol showed up just fine but than it started flashing and just quit, thats when it all started