Rockbox Installation on Clip+ V 1

What/Where is this ‘Bin file that needs to be downloaded manually by me for legal reasons’ in order for me to download Rockboxes Bootloader which is the first step in downloading Rockboxes utility?

Thanks

Iceman

The 1st (or top) post on the page you just posted on, entitled:

Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.15

Download the .zip file, extract (expand) it and you’ll find the .bin file.

Thanks Tapeworm but I did as you said and I see no change in format. I chose a theme and fonts and I see no difference.

Says I have the right version etc…

Thanks for the help anyway but if it takes all this effort it can’t be worth it.

Ciao.

@iceman107 wrote:

Thanks Tapeworm but I did as you said and I see no change in format. I chose a theme and fonts and I see no difference.

Thanks for the help anyway but if it takes all this effort it can’t be worth it.

Ciao.

You’re so wrong. Perhaps you should consider reading the manual?:wink:

I may be wrong, but in this day and age I would expect the program to open up and install effortlessly without having to be of a ‘techie’ mindset. I think it’s Rockbox / SanDisk who should make it more consumer friendly.

_I went to open the clip+ files this morning and didn’t even find the 2 files (Bin) that I dragged and dropped yesterday. Yoo much reading, figuring…bullbleep . SanDisc should just team up with Rockbox if it’s so great. Thanks just the same._

@iceman107 wrote:

Ciao.

Well yes, you have to actually install  the software before you’ll see a difference.  Just downloading themes to your player and never using them doesn’t help much :slight_smile:

With the greatest of respect, the Rockbox manual for your player, available at the Rockbox site, gives a step-by-step installation guide–you might want to check it out.  http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002   And you can install both automatically (you might want that) or manually.

And by the way, SanDisk as a company has nothing to do with Rockbox–if you don’t like how Rockbox installs or works, that’s not a SanDisk issue.

Read the manual previously, blah, blah, blah.

What are you? Company guys?

I know SabDisk and Rockbox are 2 seperate entities.

I’m saying that if Rockbox is so friggin’ great, why wouldn’t SanDisk want to incorporate such a great third party program or develop a similar one on their own?

It works fine without Rockbox as I don’t play games, don’t need it to talk to me with its voice program, etc…

Sounds like you’re on the company payroll to me.

Let it be.:neutral_face:

Just because people don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are “on the company payroll” …   :wink:

Why doesn’t SanDisk include Rockbox on the Clips?  Because it has its own firmware, which is just fine and dandy.  And companies like SanDisk rarely include 3rd-party software like Rockbox, over which they don’t have control–it could be a support nightmare, among other things.

Sorry that you don’t want to read and follow the Rockbox manual–the installation section, for automatic installation, is just a few paragraphs long.  But that’s your choice–just don’t blame Rockbox when you can’t install, and people have pointed you to how to do it, easily.

Personally, I don’t get it–but as you said, let it be.

1 Like

@iceman107 wrote:

I’m saying that if Rockbox is so friggin’ great, why wouldn’t SanDisk want to incorporate such a great third party program or develop a similar one on their own?

Because 99.99% of their customers don’t know what a parametric EQ is, don’t care about gapless playback or additional audio formats, and don’t need firmware updates.  Sandisk sells ultralow cost MP3 players to people who aren’t very good with computers.   Why would they want to go through the cost and effort of officially supporting a more advanced firmware if most of their customers would neither want nor use its additional features?

1 Like