Resume Feature for Audio Books

I am interested in buying the Clip+ and plan to use it to hold several audio books downloaded from my public library’s website using Overdrive software.  These books are in .wma or .mp3 format, not the .aa format which audible.com uses.  Will I be able to resume a book where I have left off after turning off the player?  Will the Clip+ remember the resume points for different audio books that I have in the library on the player?  Thanks.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-06-2009 11:39 PM

Thanks.  Are you saying that if I switch from audio book A to audio book B, it remembers the particlar file of A and place in the file where I left off?  But after partially playing a particular file in A, I start playing a music file, I must remember which particular file of A (usually corresponding to a chapter) I stopped in order to resume at the place in the book I stopped?

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-06-2009 11:42 PM

Thanks Sansa Guru.  I hope those features will be available via a firmware update soon.  Do you work for Sandisk?

"Do you work for Sandisk? "

No. I think it would be fun though to work designing new mp3 players or writing improved firmware for a player.

You mean, and getting the players to do what the consumers actually want them to do?

:slight_smile:

Sansa Guru, I am told that with the March firmware updates, 01.01.32 and 02.01.32, in the audio book section, the last listened to chapter of each audio book is tagged.  Thus it seems that one of your requests is already there.  I assume the Clip+ also includes this feature.

"Sansa Guru, I am told that with the March firmware updates, 01.01.32 and 02.01.32, in the audio book section, the last listened to chapter of each audio book is tagged. "

The issue has been taken care of in the Clip+. I didn’t read anything about it until today, and assumed it wasn’t. When you play part of a book, then some music, then go back to the book, the Clip+ does highlight the last played file in the book. I just tested it.

It has also been taken care of on the Fuze and Clip with the last firmware updates. I hadn’t read about it, and assumed it wasn’t fixed. I had put my podcasts in the audiobook folder in the past, but hadn’t done so lately. Now I have a reason to put them there again.

I wish I had know about this sooner.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-06-2009 11:58 PM

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-07-2009 12:59 AM

Okay, I did some more experimentation. I played some podcasts or audiobook files through the podcast or audiobook submenu, played some music, then returned to the podcast or audiobook submenu, chose the book or podcast album, and was guided to the podcast or audiobook last playing. This won’t work though using folder browsing. I tried it with a folder of untaged podcasts in the podcast folder. It looks like it works, until you play some podcasts, then music, power down, then power up and go to folder view and the podcast folder then choose the folder that was playing. The player doesn’t remember which file in it was playing last.

Tags aren’t mentioned in the manual so perhaps you can explain them.  I gather from what you say, it is not enough to just save Audio Books to the audiobook folder and Podcasts to the podcast folder.  Or are you saying, you shouldn’t make subfolders within the podcast and audiobook folders if you want to be guided to the last played chapter?

There are many websites about tags. Do a google search for mp3 tags. Making folders only matters if you plan to use the folder browsing mode. In the other modes, navigation is determined by tags.

Except for files in the Audiocasts and Podcasts folders, in which case, with untagged files, the Clip will use the folder and file names.

Tags:  data put into the files themselves which a computer or audio player can decode and display, which identifies various aspects of the files; typically, the name, album, artist, genre, and year of the content.  Music provided electronically, audiobooks and podcasts often have tag information provided initially (but not always, and sometimes not correctly or to your liking); other times, you need to fill it in yourself.  Tag editors (e.g. MP3Tag and The Godfather, Internet freeware) can be used to edit the tags or add tag information.  Most modern audioplayers display file information and navigate by tags.

Thanks for that information Miikerman.  So what do I have do with tags to make sure that I can find the resume point of any audio book or podcast that I have partially listened to?

Tags are something different and deal with what the display shows, not the resumption of a file. 

As I think was stated previously, if your podcasts/audiobooks are in the folders on the Clip of those names (or, perhaps, but I haven’t verified (perhaps someone else knows), if the podcast or audiobook is stored somewhere else on the Clip but has the genre tag of Audiobook or Podcast), the Clip will remember where you left off in each file.  If it is an audiobook that has more than 1 file, the Clip will highlight the file you were last on when you select the audiobook to play; when you select that file to play, the Clip will ask you if you want to resume play where you left off, or at the beginning.  It looks like you can have one bookmark per book, whether the audiobook is 1 file long or multi-file.

The Clip also remembers  the location of the last file played before being turned off, regardless of file type.  This is separate from the above bookmarking.

I hope that helps.  It appears the Clip will do what you want it to.

I think I understand.  Apparently I can avoid tags if I always save my audiobook and podcasts in the folders with those names.  If I wanted to add an audiobook mp3 tag, could I do in on the Clip+ or is that best done with WMP or Overdrive software?

Tag editors, run from your computer, will allow you to edit the file tags.  Many are available as freeware on the Internet, such as MP3Tag and The Godfather.  Simply do a search engine search.

You also can edit tags with Windows (although for more than a few files, a tag editor is easier).  Right click on the file and choose Properties; with Vista, go to the Details tab and edit. You would put Audiobook or Podcast under the Genre tag field.

Apart from with audiobooks and podcasts, you will need to use/edit/add tags for your music files, to use the music database and navigation feature of the Clip (which lists your music under categories for you to select and play, e.g. artist, album, song title).  You can avoid doing so if you only are going to navigate using the Clip’s folder navigation, in which case your songs appear under folders and files just as on your computer.

I have read something that with many (most) players, you will lose the resume positions if you recharge the player using a computer USB port.  Is this also true for the Clip+?  If so, I guess you should always charge with a car or wall socket charger.  Do you need ones especially made for this unit?

The Clips can use “generic” ac chargers that produce 5 V. and amperage at around 250-350 mA or higher (the Clip will take the amps that it needs; probably best to get a unit producing closer to 500 mA or higher, so as not to lengthen the time for charging), and that has a mini B 5-pin connection (either cable or port) to connect to the Clip. 

These are the stats for some cellphone chargers such as for Motorola Razrs, as well as some GPS units such as Mios.  Many third parties also sell chargers such as this.  You can find chargers like this online at eBay, Amazon.com, buy.com, dealextreme.com, meritline.com, and may other locations.  In physical stores, Staples, Wal-Mart and Best Buy are sources.  

As far as I’m aware, no one sells a charger specifically for a Clip.  However, some manufacturers sell chargers labeled to work with Sansa players.  This generally will include the Clips.  (The charger packages often include a separate cable for connecting the charger to the player–although these cables likely will not fit the Clip (they tend to have an end that will fit the Fuze, using SanDisk’s proprietary connection), you simply can use the cable that came with the Clip to connect the Clip to the charger.)  Examples include chargers from Macally, Belkin and DLO.  

The Clips also can use “generic” DC chargers that you see around, again with a mini B 5-pin connection (which typically is what you see around).

More information can be found in the Clip forum, if you search for chargers.

The Clip+ will remember all the song, podcast, or audiobook positions after charging through a computer’s USB port.  You will only loose these settings if you do a firmware upgrade.

Message Edited by ytsejam1138 on 09-17-2009 11:40 AM