Moe

Re: Replay Gain: A how to informational

I noticed that my Clip+ doesn't get confused by a "+" sign in the replaygain data. e.g., A track which foobar2000 marked with REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN of +4.10, will have the value "4.1" in the Track Info on the Clip+. Does it mean this bug got fixed with fw 1.02.13? Can anybody else confirm plz?

I think the 1.02.09 changelog mentions Replaygain parsing. I didn't actually check back until recently and I was surprised to find not one, but two firmware updates! Anyway, I have the 1.02.13 firmware installed, and the "+9.99 ==> -40.01" behavior is fixed.
SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

Clip+ 8 gb, 16 gb card, firmware 1.02.15a

OK, I've read this whole thread, and as far as I can tell, no one has gotten Replay Gain to work as described in the first post.  I used Mediamonkey to analyze track volume on all tracks, but Replay Gain on the Clip+ just doesn't provide any change in volume level, regardless of the track being played or the RG settings used. All the other options for achieving level volume playback are unacceptable to me: 

1)  If I read the Foobar discussion correctly, it looks like I would have to go throught the tracks one by one and take out all the "plus" characters.  No thanks, I have 2500 tracks on the clip, and I already have a full time job. 

2)  mp3Gain works well -- but only for mp3's.  I've got loads and loads of wma, and recently I've been trying out flac.

3)  I tried Rockbox -- didn't like it, for several reasons that don't matter here.  RB is gone, at least until there's a stable release.  

4)  The only other option is to use Media Monkey to level the volume on all those files -- but I'd rather not, because that permanently alters the file itself.

SO -- any suggestions on how to get Replay Gain to actually work, using Mediamonkey data? 

Is this the right room for an argument?
SanDisk Guru

ComfortablyNumb wrote:

Clip+ 8 gb, 16 gb card, firmware 1.02.15a

2)  mp3Gain works well -- but only for mp3's.  I've got loads and loads of wma, and recently I've been trying out flac.

FWIW I don't think WMA supports replaygain, so thats probably not going to work no matter what tag editor you use. 

SanDisk Professor

My WMA files have volume tags on them, put there by MediaMonkey.  Replay Gain on the clip has the same effect on both formats (and flac, too):  nada. 

Is this the right room for an argument?
SanDisk Guru

While you can put a replaygain tag on anything, that doesn't mean the format supports replaygain.  Software has to actually understand how to read a tag before it will work.  Its possible that Sandisk added support for replaygain tags as written by MediaMonkey, but I wouldn't be sure of it since I think WMA has some other volume normalization scheme.  But I am uncertain. 

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Weeeell as far as im concerned i got replay gain working on the Clip+ with MP3, FLAC and OGG files.

Heres how i did it:

1.: you would want to update the Clip+ Firmware to the newest 1.02.15

2.: get foobar 2000

3.: copy the stuff you want to work on to your harddisk, or youll grow a beard and get children while tagging

4.: point foobars media library to the folder with the files on your HD

5.: select all the files, right click => properties => tools => remove tags

Photobucket

6.: retag the stuff using freedb

7.: select desired files and do your prefered replay gain scan (per file, album, blabla)

i recommend "Scan Selection as Albums (by tags)

8.: apply replay gain info, copy the files back to your Clip

9.: unplug and grow a beard while it's "refreshing your media" (screw you little mean player thingy)

10.: enable replay gain, play a song and see the info for yourself under "track information", you can fiddle around with the pre gain value to actually hear the effect.

PS:

Aww crap. If you may have hoped to get the **bleep** Clip louder with applying replay gain, you thought wrong.

Photobucket

Guess ill have to buy a portable amp after all. Poor wallet.

PPS:

This is a bugmenot account. Dont bother PM'ing it.

hello,

i want to to buy a sansa fuze and i 'm very interested with replaygain ability but  i have some point that are not very clear for me,

i know there are two implementations for storing replay gain information in mp3 tag

1 - the standart way id3 v2.4 , RVA2 frames

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames

all my music collection is tagged with rav2 frames

(the files are not modified , replaygain info are just stored in tag)

2 - sadly foobar2000 implement is own non standart replaygain : information are tagged in TXXX: frames

which implementation use the sansa fuze ? rva2 replaygain or foobar replay ?

SanDisk Guru

You might want to place your post in one of the Fuze boards (this is the Clip/Clip+ board) ...

"I assume in the above I can read CLIP for FUZE.

I have an MP3 file, that has been through mediamonkey, and clip is showing a Track gain of 3.38dB.  Yet if whilst playing I change "Replay Gain Mode" between OFF, SONG, ALBUM, I perceive no difference in volume.  If I change "PreGain" from 0-12dB with "Replay Gain" on SONG, I still get no difference in volume.  What am I doing wrong?"

Same with me, how to solve this?

Regards