Re: Replay Gain: A how to informational

@Soukyuu

I have found that changing the ReplayGain setting in the Clip+ (song/album/off) does take effect until I return to the music list and re-start the song - obviously difficult to hear a difference when the replaygain value maybe less than +/- 1 db. I manually altered the RG value by 10db and could definitely hear the difference between RG on or off.

I guess my mistake was to assume i could change between modes on-the-fly.

All 4 test files  seem to sound the same now...

So i guess the only question now is, how the official encoder handles the positive gain vs. foobar vs. MM... i'm going to do some tests later.

For your consideration.

a) Replaygain (probably!) is exclusively known, used and understood by foobar2000 folks. Honestly, I don't think it is widely used outside the fb2k/hydrogenaudio.org world.
b) It shouldn't be rocket science for the Clip+ to interpret " " or "+" the same way.

Thanks in advance

SanDisk Guru

andied wrote:

After further testing and getting to know the idiosyncrasies of MP3Gain, I can get it to work with the Clip+.

Loading files and clicking "track Analysis" will immediately (actually 3x slower than Foobar2000) analyze and write volume gains to the file(s). If left at this point, and the volume value is positive, the tag begins with a "+" (+0.17), which the Clip+ reads as "-48.83" - much too low to be useable. However if "Track Gain" is selected, MP3Gain writes info to the file and the Clip+ will play the song with proper volume, although the Clip+ cannot read the replaygain info - I assume because it is Apev2.

It is good to have choices - I will stick with Foobar2000

edit: should be:  "although the Clip+ cannot display the replaygain info"

Message Edited by andied on 12-25-2009 12:47 PM

If you use MP3Gain on your files, then you should disable the ReplayGain on the Sansa, as it will no longer be needed. That's the whole point of why Miikerman brought it up, I believe.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

If you use MP3Gain on your files, then you should disable the ReplayGain on the Sansa, as it will no longer be needed. That's the whole point of why Miikerman brought it up, I believe.

Actually you should probably still use the Replaygain values on the Sansa. mp3gain is only capable of making changes in 1.5dB increments. It will adjust the gain losslessly by modifying the mp3 headers. Unfortunately it stores modification information in APE tags. To get the most benefit out of the RG "experience" you would want to rescan the mp3gain-modified files with foobar2000 or Media Monkey to get the difference mp3gain could not account for.

Clear as mud? Smiley Happy

One other thing. foobar2000 is capable of modifying the mp3 headers just as mp3gain does. However, there is no undo after you apply the gain changes. foobar2000 then modifies the RG tags to reflect the difference.

As someone mentioned earlier mp3gain is agonizingly slow. foobar2000 appears to be able to take advantage of multi-core CPUs during its scan process. I've incorporated some Powershell scripts I created to apply the RG values created by foobar2000 to the tags that mp3gain uses. The scripts then call mp3gain to apply the changes and subsequently updates the foobar2000 RG tags. Whew!

FYI: The latest available version of mp3gain (1.5.1) has an option to use id3 tags instead of APE. It doesn't use TXXX frames though. It uses RVA2 (Relative Volume Adjustment) frames. In truth this is probably the truly "correct" way of implementing volume adjustment.

I'll shut up for now.

SanDisk Guru

I'm so glad I have a player that takes care of it for me, rather than go through all this hassle with ReplayGain, MP3Gain, etc..Smiley Very Happy
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

With all the back and forth RE ReplayGain, it probably does seem a bit obtuse, but really it is quite simple (once the problem was isolated). Foobar2000 does a really good job of writing replaygain tags (and very fast); the only issue is that the Clip+ doesn't read a positive "+" value correctly, but the "fix" is trivial and hopefully Sansa will include this "fix" in a firmware update.
SanDisk Guru

I don't find MP3Gain to be either a hassle or slow.  Yes, if you are running MP3Gain on a large number of albums, it will take time.  But it's only done once--just leave it running overnight.  For just a single or a few albums at a time, it's done in very little time.

Miikerman wrote:
I don't find MP3Gain to be either a hassle or slow.  Yes, if you are running MP3Gain on a large number of albums, it will take time.  But it's only done once--just leave it running overnight.  For just a single or a few albums at a time, it's done in very little time.

To each his own; it is good to have choices. For those happy with MP3Gain, stay with it. I am just trying to point out to those that use Foobar2000 that it works really well also.