Re: Replay Gain: A how to informational

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Read the thread people.....the Replay Gain for the Sansas is designed to work with MediaMonkey, not foobar2000. The two programs clearly differ in how they implement ReplayGain data.....so if you're doing your ReplayGain analysis with foobar, don't get upset when it doesn't work.Smiley Wink

Those of you who are using Mediamonkey, if it's not cooperating with you, then perhaps there is a bug of some sort. There should be a firmware update sometime in the next month or so,so let's keep the discussion alive so the devs know to address it.Smiley Happy

Nice to hear. The behavior is really annoying.

A user to pin a program, it can not be.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Kabel wrote:

Media Monkey in my opinion, a not particularly flexible program for managing music files and not very well configurable.

What is it that you can't do with  Mediamonkey that you do with foobar, asides from tweak the way that it looks? They both play music, they both are capable of ripping and converting it.....what else do you like to do with foobar?

Just the scripting capabilities of Masstagers are a good reason.
The user can Foobar2000 very, very well adapted to his needs.
SanDisk Guru

Kabel wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Kabel wrote:

Media Monkey in my opinion, a not particularly flexible program for managing music files and not very well configurable.

What is it that you can't do with  Mediamonkey that you do with foobar, asides from tweak the way that it looks? They both play music, they both are capable of ripping and converting it.....what else do you like to do with foobar?

Just the scripting capabilities of Masstagers are a good reason.
The user can Foobar2000 very, very well adapted to his needs.

I never did any of that when I had foobar....never needed to do any mass tagging. When I switched computers last week, I opted not to add foobar to the new machine, because I wasn't doing anything with it that I couldn't do with Mediamonkey. It was nice to check out the detailed info foobar gave you , like size of your collection, avg. bitrate, what codec,etc., but really I wasn't doing anything with it but play music and convert an album here and there. If I need to fix tags I have MP3Tag.

But, to each his own.....you have uses for more of its capabilities than I do, and that's fine.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

I have only used Mediamonkey briefly so I may have missed some things, but quick impressions so far:

Cannot drag and drop a file or multiple files from a file browser (windows explorer, free commander, etc.)

Have not been successful getting wavpack files recognized in MM (apparently an older winamp plugin may work)

Very simple to copy codecs into Foobar directory - no installation necessary - wavpack, neroaacenc, neroaacdec, ac3, ogg, etc.

The ogg encoder in MM is extremly slow; I use a tweaked ogg codec in Foobar and it is approx 4x as fast.

MM installation directory over 30 MB's, my Foobar directory (portable, no install) is 10 MB's.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Read the thread people.....the Replay Gain for the Sansas is designed to work with MediaMonkey, not foobar2000. The two programs clearly differ in how they implement ReplayGain data.....so if you're doing your ReplayGain analysis with foobar, don't get upset when it doesn't work.Smiley Wink

Those of you who are using Mediamonkey, if it's not cooperating with you, then perhaps there is a bug of some sort. There should be a firmware update sometime in the next month or so,so let's keep the discussion alive so the devs know to address it.Smiley Happy

Thanks for the heads up. However, as a first time Sansa owner, nowhere on the manual, or on their site does it say that Media Monkey should be used for Replaygain. The only reason I was able to find out about how to use Replaygain was after a Google search, and I found the info here in this thread. And yes after using Media Monkey and following all instructions, Replaygain simply does not work with my Clip+. The ball was dropped somewhere. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

SanDisk Guru

You may want to try MP3Gain, which provides similar functionality.  The difference is, MP3Gain imbeds the gain changes into the files themselves (which is reversible/changeable), and so does not require any special software in the playing of the files (and so the gain changes are playable wherever).
SanDisk Guru

Given all the headaches from ReplayGain, first with the Fuze, now with the Clip+, I think they would have been better off not implementing it, and improving the custom EQ's functionality instead. Smiley Tongue
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Given all the headaches from ReplayGain, first with the Fuze, now with the Clip+, I think they would have been better off not implementing it, and improving the custom EQ's functionality instead. Smiley Tongue

When it works, it is really good. Now that I have done some further testing,I am confident I have the replaygain issue resolved...for my Clip+.

As has been stated previously, MM writes replaygain values that the Clip+ reads correctly.

For those using Foobar2000, the only issue is when replaygain values are positive (and apparently only values between 0.00 and +10.00, but I have not tested this)  and FB includes a plus sign preceeding the value. Simply removing the plus sign is not sufficient (the volume goes to max); however, replacing the plus sign with a space works correctly. Also, it appears to make no difference whether the tag is ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 - the Clip+ reads both properly.

andied wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

When it works, it is really good. Now that I have done some further testing,I am confident I have the replaygain issue resolved...for my Clip+.

As has been stated previously, MM writes replaygain values that the Clip+ reads correctly.

For those using Foobar2000, the only issue is when replaygain values are positive (and apparently only values between 0.00 and +10.00, but I have not tested this)  and FB includes a plus sign preceeding the value. Simply removing the plus sign is not sufficient (the volume goes to max); however, replacing the plus sign with a space works correctly. Also, it appears to make no difference whether the tag is ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 - the Clip+ reads both properly.

Nice to hear! :-)

Are there any side effects in Foobar?

A small data query here:
'GREATER %replaygain_track_gain% 0' - 14.5% (10000 files)

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody, I registered because my own Clip+ is behaving the same way with replaygain_*_gain tags that have the "+9.99" format.  I hope this is helpful and that the people at Sandisk might see it.  Anyway, I can confirm:

1) that replaygain_*_gain tags in the "+9.99" format cause the player to read incorrect values (eg, "+9.99" yields "-40.01" )

2) that deleting the leading "+" (eg, "9.99" ) causes the player to read a very large value > 2000,

3) that replacing the leading "+" with a " " (eg, " 9.99" ) causes the player to read the correct value,

AND 3) that adding a leading zero (eg, "+09.99" or "09.99" ) will also cause the player to read the correct value.

Almost forgot.  This all applies only to ID3 tags.  OGG is okay.  Haven't tried FLAC.

Message Edited by DCMC on 12-20-2009 07:51 PM
Message Edited by DCMC on 12-20-2009 07:57 PM