Questions about playing from microSD card

We have some questions about using the MicroSD card:

1. Does playing from MicroSD card drain battery life quicker than if playing from the Clip+? If so, how much more?

2. Is playing stuff from MicoSD card slower to access compared with from the Clip+? Are there gaps when going from one track to another? 

I don’t notice any difference in access time between the microSD card and the player’s internal memory.

And my hunch is that there is no significant difference in battery consumption–but others may know better.

If other people can confirm the answer here, that would be great.

Thanks.

@ginger wrote:

Thanks.

That’s an answer from a Sandisk Guru.  Is there more that really needs to be said?   :wink:

And for a second opinion, I agree with Miikerman.

@mags1230 wrote:

@ginger wrote:

Thanks.

That’s an answer from a Sandisk Guru.  Is there more that really needs to be said?   :wink:

I’ll third that opinion.:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

@ginger wrote:

Thanks.

I’ll third that opinion.:smiley:

Count me in too!

What makes one a SanDisk guru?

@ginger wrote:

That’s an ancient Chinese secret. :wink:

@ginger wrote:

As far as I’m aware, pure longevity here (that is, number of postings).  Not based on genius, I can assure you (speaking personally, that is …).

You become a guru after making lots and lots of posts.  I too aspire to guru-hood. 

You become a guru after making lots and lots of posts.  I too aspire to guru-hood. 

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

And to answer part of your original question (not to mention furthing my ascent to guruship) – there is no difference in playback whatsoever between the card and the unit memory.  However, when you add music, it will take longer to refresh the database, simply because there’s more data for the player to sort through. 

I bought a Sandisk 16 gb card for about $30 on Amazon, and it works great.  However, of course, “16 gigabyes” doesn’t _ really _ mean 16 gigabytes, to Sandisk or to anyone else selling storage.  Just a pet peeve of mine. 

@comfortablynumb wrote:

However, of course, “16 gigabyes” doesn’t _ really _ mean 16 gigabytes, to Sandisk or to anyone else selling storage.  Just a pet peeve of mine. 

Oh, it absolutely does mean 16 GB. To them. The problem (I’m sure you understand, CN, but for those who don’t…) is that the storage manufacturers don’t use the same definition of “gigabyte” as computers/operating systems/old-school geeks like me and you. The manufacturers use the decimal definition (giga=10^9), while we use the binary definition (giga=2^30). The end result is a “loss” of about 7%.

A very convenient loss if you’re selling, and a very incovenient loss if you’re buying.  Didn’t know it was seven percent – that’s a LOT!  Like I said, pet peeve.