No more High setting in music volume?

I have just purchased my sansa clip+ 8GB. It too has no volume control, and reseting factory default does nothing.

It has the newest drivers as default. Is there any way to get a hold of the old firmware and use this instead?

When you re-set, you need to set the region to a non-EU region (such as N America or Rest of World).  Or, reapply the firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky at the top of the forum) and set the region likewise. 

“When you re-set, you need to set the region to a non-EU region (such as N America or Rest of World).”

So simple… worked like a charm, thanks dude!

My new Clip+ does not produce enough volume to playback on my (also new) Logitech Pure Fi Plus speaker.  It sounds fine in the ear buds and the volume control is set to High.  Is this normal?  I am using a cable to connect the Clip to the Speakers.

Have you tried a different connecting cable?  I’m not familiar with the speakers–anything else to set/change with them?  And do they work with other input?

Tried a portable CD player with a different cable and volume is great.  Went back to the Clip and volume is OK, but not as loud as with the CD player.  I’m not trying to blow out the windows…but I do like to fill the room with sounds.  There are no other adjustments on the speakers…just on/off and volume.

I’m not an audio guy here, but I wonder if the Clip just doesn’t have enough driving force to produce the volume you would like with the speakers, given their audio characteristics.  If you wanted more volume, one thing you could do would be to get a small amplifier to use between the Clip and the speakers–while it sounds like a big deal, it really isn’t and there are some nice, inexpensive ones out there (such as by FiiO) that you could try. 

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.fiio

@miikerman wrote:

I’m not an audio guy here, but I wonder if the Clip just doesn’t have enough driving force to produce the volume you would like with the speakers , given their audio characteristics.  If you wanted more volume, one thing you could do would be to get a small amplifier to use between the Clip and the speakers–while it sounds like a big deal, it really isn’t and there are some nice, inexpensive ones out there (such as by FiiO) that you could try. 

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.fiio

I agree. These little mp3 players only put out “milliwatts” of power. They are only designed to drive ear-bud type phones stuck directly in your ear canal, not provide “room-filling” sound.

Adding a headphone amp would help, although a better way of doing it I think (with less hardware too) is to get AC-powered Computer Speakers. Some of them have sub-woofers as well, and are relatively inexpensive.

My experience exactly… It sometimes helps to be nerdy.

summerlove wrote:

It’s a legal thing.

Use the ‘reset factory settings’ option in system settings.  For region choose something that isn’t Europe.

I had the same problem and found your solution. It works fine, thanks a lot.

These stupid Eurocrats! In order to save kids from their own thoghtlessness they prevent the older people from using modern technology and taking part in musical culture. I like classical music. This makes things more sophisticated as the volume level changes, and on “EU level” you can’t hear the quiet passages.

If the Eurocrats should ever forbid this workaround, I will have to file a suit at the European High Court for minority rights.

Thanks for the solution which worked perfectly. The Help Desk do know the answer but won’t tell you and refer you here. It’s a mad world.

@scl wrote:

Thanks for the solution which worked perfectly. The Help Desk do know the answer but won’t tell you and refer you here. It’s a mad world.

That’s interesting–I wonder if it’s a legal issue, that SanDisk cannot be seen as directly telling people how to get around the restriction imposed by the EU law. 

edit:  I just saw:  with this post, happy 4,001 postings to me!   :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

edit:  I just saw:  with this post, happy 4,001 postings to me!   :wink:

You are simply a genius! I was so sad thinking of having to throw away ma little MP3 because I could not use it anymore in public transportations! Getting old and podcasting mostly cultural speeches, I badly need to have a normal volume.

Thanks for your help!

My Clip+ has a choice of High or Normal for the volume, though High still isn’t very loud with the earbuds that came with the device.  Is the High setting the best I can do?  I’ve cranked up the volume with the rocker switch already.

^^ Depends on your region setting i think.  

I had the impression from this discussion that the region thing had to do with the existence of a High setting, not with the behavior of that setting.  In other words, in Europe there is no High setting.  Is that the case?

@pwabrahams wrote:

I had the impression from this discussion that the region thing had to do with the existence of a High setting, not with the behavior of that setting.  In other words, in Europe there is no High setting.  Is that the case?

If you’ve set it to EU you’re capped.  If you haven’t, you’re not, so you can’t you just check and see if you have the High setting?

I don’t know how to determine directly if I have the EU settings or not.  But since I do have a High setting for the volume, does that imply that I don’t have the EU settings?  And that by choosing High, I’m getting as much volume as it’s possible to get?

@pwabrahams wrote:

I don’t know how to determine directly if I have the EU settings or not.  But since I do have a High setting for the volume, does that imply that I don’t have the EU settings?  And that by choosing High, I’m getting as much volume as it’s possible to get?

Yes.