Need help with playing tracks

Haven’t used my player in awhile and never did really learn how to use it well. I have some meditations I’ve loaded, to listen to e.g. before I go to sleep. I was getting other music playing when the meditation was finished. Think I finally figured out how to get the right track to repeat…BUT I’d really like to turn it off after the one track plays-automatically. Can I do this? Manual not much help!   There might be times I’d want it to repeat, times want it to turn off, and times when I might want to switch to another track/mediation and go on.  Help???  Thanks!

You can use the Sleep Timer, but that requires you select how long it should play before turning off. This may not be exactly the same timing as the file you’re playiing.

Would simply be like going to sleep watching a television show and setting the tv’s sleep timer:  the player/device simply will stay on a bit after the song/show is over, before shutting off.  Not a biggie and a next-best solution. 

Thanks both Mikerman and Tapeworm! I hadn’t even thought of the Sleep mode…will try that and see if I can gauge it right so it shuts off before the next track begins!

There’s an even easier way. Go to the track, start it, and hold down the center button to add it to the Go! List. If you want more than one track, or want to repeat a track, go to each track and hold down the center button to add to the Go! List. 

Then go to Playlists, choose the Go! list and it will play the track (or tracks)  and stop. Sweet dreams.

A good idea.  But then, needs to be considered along with a time-off setting, or else the play will stop but the player remain on.

Tried this, didn’t work, no such menu came up. Tried to do it other ways, ck’d manual…it’s ■■■■! One place said to press the submenu button, not the Select/center button…neither worked. I am dealing with some medical issues and can’t get back to this list every day. I know nothing about working with playlists or much else with an mp3. am very frustrated and angry with SanDisk for the lousy manuals. I’ve tried everything I can and have not been able  to get anything on the golist. BTW, in the manual it’s “golist”, only thing that will bring it up in a search.

If I ever figure out how to get the other lectures etc. on the golist, I can try to find out how long they are and set the player to Sleep for enough min to turn it off. actually, would only need to have it turn off for the ones I listen to before going to sleep, others I can turn off myself when done.

I’d give anything right now if these were available on cassettes!!! mp3 might be perfect for music and I have had audiobooks on it too, but for the things I want to listen to, lectures and meditations, it’s ■■■■!

I appreciate any and all help and advice you all are willing to give but please know that I know nothing about even the terminilogy on this d______ thing! E.G. I didn’t even know what a golist was!! am not interested in setting up playlists in Media Player or setting up a music library.

I’ve even thought about trying to burn them to a CD and buying a CD player but don’t even know if that’s doable. May try again this weekend. can’t til then. hope all are patient with not getting responses for a few days.

If the “Add to GoList” option  isn’t coming up in the sub-menu, maybe the files you have aren’t in the Music folder. Could they be in the Audiobooks or Podcasts folder? I believe the GoList only works with files in the Music folder.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Noticed a little thing in the manual. You need to set the center button to Add to Go List! No wonder it wasn’t working.

Press Home. Click up or down to Settings. Go to System Settings. Scroll all the way through it, past the first screen, to Press and Hold. Choose Add song to Go List.  Bingo.

We now return to previously written post.

I understand how exasperating this can be.  But really, the Go List is the way to do exactly what you want.  You don’t need your computer, Windows Media Player, a computer science PhD.  or anything else. 

Go to the track you want and hold down the big center button–yes, the center button.

(I have no idea why the manual calls for the Sub Menu button because that’s not the way it works on mine. You’re right–Sub Menu doesn’t do a thing once you have the track on the screen.)

Don’t just click the center button–hold it down for a few seconds. The screen should show Added to GoList.Do that for the one track you want or for as many tracks as you want.

Then go back to Music, click down to Playlists (past the first screen) and choose the Go List. It will play through and stop.

Actually, before you play it,  doublecheck some default settings. Push the Home button and click up or down to Settings. Under Settings/Music Options, turn off Repeat. Under Settings/System Settings, go to Power Saver and choose an automatic timeout (mine is 10 mins.)

Really, that should do it. You don’t have to deal with the Sleep Timer, calculating the length of your tracks, etc Put them in the Go List, play that from Playlist.  The Go List will  play through once and the Clip will shut down whenever your Power Saver setting tells it to.

Tapeworm, you were right, they were in the audiobooks folder, except for the one I play every night. so I moved them to the Music folder.

Black Rectangle, RIGHT ON!!!  Your msg was exactly what I needed!! Followed your instructions and all 6 are now in the GoList.

The smallest one is 8:59 minutes so I tried it this afternoon. Went in and set the Power Saver to 10 minutes. Made sure that Repeat was turned off.

Listened to the track and waited to see if it would turn off.  Nope, another track started playing. So a bit more to do!??

Questions: When you go in and set the Power Saver, and Repeat Off, does this setting hold when you turn things off and back on or do you have to go in and make sure the settings are still there?

When you say to go to Power Saver and choose an “automatic timeout time (you said yours is 10 min)”, I don’t see an “automatic” setting, must click to get to time I want…ok?

And when I go to Music there’s a whole list of items, e.g. albums, podcasts, songs, etc. and some of the tracks show up in some of these, e.g. albums, songs (all 6) etc., and are also in GoList. when I had it on the pc I moved them all into the Music folder. why would they also show up in some of the other categories?

Thanks so much for your help!! I think you should rewrite the manual for us!! there’s so much that isn’t in it.

The Power Saver will only work if the player is “inactive” (as in paused & not palying anything) when the preset time comes up.

Sleep Mode on the other hand, shuts off at the preset time regardless if it is playing anything or not.

When you go into Settings you change the defaults. The unit should remember them after being turned off.

With Repeat off it should play through the Go List once and stop. If you just want to play one track, just put one track in the Go List. Otherwise it will keep playing through the whole list (your six tracks).

The Go List is supposed to be the track(s) you want to hear now and only those tracks. It’s designed for you to add and remove tracks on the unit itself. To take a track OFF the Go List, start playing it and hold the center button to remove it. 

You can make more elaborate, more permanent playlists using the computer, but that’s actually pretty well explained in the manual. The Go List is made for quick changes.

If you set the Power Saver to 10 minutes it will shut off 10 minutes after the last track is played.  (It doesn’t say automatic, I was just trying to explain what it does.)

The same track can be in the Go List and elsewhere because unless you click all the way down and go to Folders, you are not seeing folders as you would on a computer. You’re seeing lists made from the database, which is made from the ID3 tags, electronic labels that are part of each file.

Ditto that there is not a separate folder of Albums, a separate folder of Artists, etc.–all that info is gathered from the files and placed under categories like Album, Artist, etc. Each one is like an index, not a folder full of files.

The Go List (like other playlists) is a list of locations where the files are. The Sansa sees the list, understands it’s a list, and follows the list to play the files you want.

@black_rectangle wrote:

When you go into Settings you change the defaults. The unit should remember them after being turned off.

Ok…the Power one seems to stay but Sleep doesn’t. Am I doing something wrong or is that one an exception?

With Repeat off it should play through the Go List once and stop. If you just want to play one track, just put one track in the Go List. Otherwise it will keep playing through the whole list (your six tracks).

Ok…Got this figured out and moved 5 out of the GoList. And checked and they’re still there, in another folder…wasn’t sure about that! I’d wondered if I could do this all on the unit and not have to go into the pc to do it. Thanks for the clear info!

The Go List is supposed to be the track(s) you want to hear now and only those tracks. It’s designed for you to add and remove tracks on the unit itself. To take a track OFF the Go List, start playing it and hold the center button to remove it. 

You can make more elaborate, more permanent playlists using the computer, but that’s actually pretty well explained in the manual. The Go List is made for quick changes.

If you set the Power Saver to 10 minutes it will shut off 10 minutes after the last track is played.  (It doesn’t say automatic, I was just trying to explain what it does.)

Got it!

The same track can be in the Go List and elsewhere because unless you click all the way down and go to Folders, you are not seeing folders as you would on a computer. You’re seeing lists made from the database, which is made from the ID3 tags, electronic labels that are part of each file.

Ditto that there is not a separate folder of Albums, a separate folder of Artists, etc.–all that info is gathered from the files and placed under categories like Album, Artist, etc. Each one is like an index, not a folder full of files.

The Go List (like other playlists) is a list of locations where the files are. The Sansa sees the list, understands it’s a list, and follows the list to play the files you want.

Thanks for your patience and clear explanations!! Now I can add more items and move them around as I need to. Considering the sorely incompetent manual, how on earth do total newbies figure all this out? Why isn’t the manual more comprehensive (not that you should know why but just wondering!!)

I want to also ask about finding an ac adapter to charge the unit off the pc but figure I should start a new thread!! Don’t want to lose you!  Somewhere on here someone sugg using a cell phone charger. Tried mine, the plug looks the same size but will only go in part way and then the battery icon has a slash through it. Others said it’s faster with an adapter.

Also want to ask about updating the software…others on here recc some specific softward to download (have to look it up again) rather than the Sansa software (don’t think it’s available now); would doing that/updating the software help? and would there be more capabilities with it?

Just let me know if I should start new threads for these?  Thanks again! I am really grateful for your help!

@joanie wrote:

@black_rectangle wrote:

_ Ok…the Power one seems to stay but Sleep doesn’t. Am I doing something wrong or is that one an exception?_

Also want to ask about updating the software…others on here recc some specific softward to download (have to look it up again) rather than the Sansa software (don’t think it’s available now); would doing that/updating the software help? and would there be more capabilities with it?

The Sleep setting does not save. You have to set it each time you want to use it.

You’re probably referring to Rockbox, 3rd-party, open-soure, alternative firmware. It doesn’t replace the factory firmware, but “sits alongside it”. You boot into either at will. It has many advantages, themes (the GUI or display screen) and many, many settings, tweaks and personal adjustments that some like; others find too complicated or overwhelming to bother with or use. There is a pretty steep learning curve due to the sheer amount of dettings you can adjust and to get used to it. If you don’t care about all these and kust want to press play and be done with it, I’d suggest sticking with the OF (original firmware). But if you’re adventurous and want to tweak things and setting you didn’t even know existing or were possible, then give it a try. It will eek out a little more battery life though, if you’re not constantly changing settings and playing with it. :wink:

A first step with Rockbox:  skim through the user manual, to get a feel for it.

http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

I’d say that Rockbox is for computer loving geek types (gazing into mirror). But for someone who just wants to use the gizmo and get on with life, the original firmware is fine.  With Rockbox, yes, there are more capabilities but  just for starters you’re going to have to install a graphic theme, play with type sizes, decide on a lot of settings…up to you but I uninstalled it. DIdn’t need one more learning curve.

As for a charger, cell phone chargers should work IF the connector is a miniUSB. Various chargers also have microUSB (different) and Apple (very different) plugs–not right. MicroUSB is gaining, so that might have been what your cell charger is.

But miniUSB is a standard connector–an improvement on some previous Sansa models.  If you get a wall charger that plugs into the wall and has a USB port, then you can easily buy a cord that’s USB to miniUSB. You should never have to force a plug into the Sansa (or anything else)–either it’s the right plug or it isn’t. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

I’d say that Rockbox is for computer loving geek types (gazing into mirror). But for someone who just wants to use the gizmo and get on with life, the original firmware is fine.  With Rockbox, yes, there are more capabilities but  just for starters you’re going to have to install a graphic theme, play with type sizes, decide on a lot of settings…up to you but I uninstalled it. DIdn’t need one more learning curve.

I will download and look at the manual and not long ago I would have tried it but I think my serious geek days are past me!

As for a charger, cell phone chargers should work IF the connector is a miniUSB. Various chargers also have microUSB (different) and Apple (very different) plugs–not right. MicroUSB is gaining, so that might have been what your cell charger is.

But miniUSB is a standard connector–an improvement on some previous Sansa models.  If you get a wall charger that plugs into the wall and has a USB port, then you can easily buy a cord that’s USB to miniUSB. You should never have to force a plug into the Sansa (or anything else)–either it’s the right plug or it isn’t. 

Looked and looked and this one is the one I think I’ll get. As always on Amazon, mixed reviews but will try it. See what you think!:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Travel-Charger-Sandisk-Sansa/dp/B002ODQJKQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Actually, here are a couple more that seem very similar…which are best?

http://www.amazon.com/Accessory-USA-Charger-Adapter-Creative/dp/B00W4QHP2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439086468&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=ac+charger+5v+500MA+with+cable+for+Sansa+clip%2B+mp3+player

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Charger-Philips-GoGear-Player/dp/B003C0Z01E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Travel-Charger-Sandisk-Sansa/dp/B002ODQJKQ/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=01CF6FAR0XPCF4DGZMQQ

Any.  Just needs to be 5V (more votage will blow fhe Clip out), and preferably 500 mA or higher (but higher isn’t needed for the wee Clip), and with a mini-USB plug.  Personally, I would look for a charger that gets good recommendations and/or that comes from a good, known source–a cheaply constructed charger could cause issues.

Any.  Just needs to be 5V (more voltage will blow fhe Clip out), and preferably 500 mA or higher (but higher isn’t needed for the wee Clip), and with a mini-USB plug.  Personally, I would look for a charger that gets good recommendations and/or that comes from a good, known source–a cheaply constructed charger could cause issues.