My Sansa won't turn on or off

I'm really pleased with my Sansa which hasworked well for a few years; but all of a sudden it won't turn on or off. If I plug it into a USB then it charges up and works fine, but it's like the 'power' button doesn't exist. It won't recognise I'm touching it at all. I know it's a long shot, but any help would be gratefully received! Thank you.

SanDisk Guru

Re: My Sansa won't turn on or off

It could be a physical button/connector issue.    Smiley Sad

Or, hopefully, it could be a software glitch, which can develop over time.  I would try manually reapplying the latest firmware, easy to do (see the firmware sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum).  You also could try reformatting the player from its System settings, which can clear up mystery issues--note that this will delete user content, and so save anything you want to keep to another device first.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Resetting it hasn't worked, alas. I will try the firmware thing when I'm back on my laptop.

SanDisk Guru

Does the device power up when plugged into your computer, but shuts off when unplugged?

If so, It's likely a loose/broken connection from the battery to the device (internally). You didn't say which Sansa player you have, but this was a very common issue on the original Clips (round scroll wheel), and some of the newer models as well (Clip+).

If this is the case, it is possible to open up the case and re-solder the connection. There are guides/instructions on how to do this online.

Thanks for your reply. It's a Sansa Clip and a few years old! The only way to turn it on is to plug it in. I can't turn it off either, so I have to wait until it gets to the end of a track and allow it to shut down naturally.

SanDisk Guru

So the player will work after you plug it into your computer, and then stay on after you disconnect it? That doesn't sound like a battery lead issue . . . did you try (manually) re-applying the firmware and/or formatting as Miikerman suggested?

I've reset it but to no avail.

I tried using the firmware download, and it said that the .exe wasn't an valid Win32 application.

I tried doing it the alternative way, and can't find a programme to run the BIN file from. Lost! Smiley Sad

SanDisk Guru

You don't 'run' the .bin file. You simply copy it to the root (uppermost) directory, unplug the device after transfer is complete and the player will install it itself.

Ah I think I've done that then - again to no avail. Unless I've copied it to the wrong place. The player doesn't turn itself off, but when I disconnect it it says "disconnecting" and then goes back to normal. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

SanDisk Guru

Did you place the bin file at the player's "root" level, that is, the top level of the player?