SanDisk Guru

Re: My Sansa won't turn on or off

You may be trying to install the wrong f/w version. There are sveral Clip variants and they all take a different firmware. What Clip model do you have? You never did say. And what firmware are you attempting to put on it?

If you try to put a different f/w onto a player not made for it, it won't do anything. Kinda like what you say is happening.

[ Edited ]

Oh dear, I thought I'd got the right one. I have just a SanDisk Clip+. It says it's version V01.02.17A. You can see from the screenshot where I put the BIN:

This is my clip:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NX0MEQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

screenshot1.png

And this is the error message I get when trying to download the firmware using the firmware software:

Thank you for your continued replies!

screenshot2.png
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

As I thought, you're attempting to put the wrong firmware on it. According to your screenshot, the file name is m300a.bin.

If you go to this page here on the forum & download from the link that says

Manual Firmware update
Firmware Download for All Regions - Click here to download (you can actually click on this link; it will take you directly to the download), it will download a file named "clipplus01.02.18.zip".

This is a compressed file. Once downloaded to your computer, click on it and it will extract your firmware file "clppa.bin". THIS is the file you copy to your root directory; just as you did the other one. When this is copied, unplug your player and it should install the lateast firmware for you and you'll be in business. Smiley Wink

You can delete the m300a.bin file.

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for your reply! I have done as you instructed above and yes now the firmware is updated, but the power (or lackthereof) of the power button hasn't changed. I guess it's a physical issue. What a pain! Not much I can do about it. Smiley Sad

SanDisk Guru

That's too bad. These are a great little player and usually quite dependable. Unfortunately, being discontinued for so long now drives the price, even used or re-furbished up to more than what they were when current & new.

SanDisk Fanatic

Here is one wild and crazy idea.

If your Sansa device has a power saver mode, then set that to 5 minutes of inactivity.  Then when you press Stop the device will shut itself off after 5 minutes?  Then, maybe use one of those low cost USB power banks to turn the device on when you are on the go ???

Great idea, I've got a portable USb thing in my car. The player still works, so I'm fortunate from that respect, but it's just a bummer! Thank you all for your help anyway.

SanDisk Guru

And just a last stab at this:

I know that you wrote above that you had re-set the player, but did you also try reformatting  it under the System settings?  That sometimes will fix odd circumstances.  Note:  reformatting also will delete all your user content on the player, and so save anything to your PC that you want to keep first.

I don't have high hopes for this, but can't think about anything else, save opening the player up physically and checking the power button and the connections to it out . . . .

Highlighted

Thank you; yes I did try that, and also to no avail. Ah well, at least it still works.