Accepted Solution

Memory card not recognised by Sansa Clip+

Hello everyone.

I have a Kingston 128gb memory card, which had all of my music on it, until yesterday.  I removed it from my Rockboxed Sandisk Clip Plus and put it in my computer to transfer an album to it.  The transfer seemed to go OK, until I re-inserted the card back into the player to use it.  The player didn't recognise the card.  It had been working fine prior to me adding the extra album to it, but it's not working at all now.  I have done a quick format with it, but every time I try a full format/wipe, it always fails.  I've tried various sd card format programs, with the same result.  I checked the player using a smaller card, which worked fine, with no issues.  I have formatted the 128gb card to ExFat.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Memory card not recognised by Sansa Clip+

The Clip+ can/will only read FAT32. It was built long before the new larger exFAT system was introduced. Not sure why it previously read the card.

My husband has the same player with the same type of card.  His is working fine, formatted to ExFat.  I will reformat the card to FAT32 and see if that helps.  I will come back here afterwards and let you know either way.  Thank you for your help @Tapeworm.

I don't see how I can format such a large card to FAT32.  When I set up Rockbox, I had to format the card to exFAT so that the device could work with it, and copy the music, etc.

PROBLEM SORTED - THANK YOU!

I managed to format the card to FAT32 using the program below:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

The card was formatted in seconds, and I copied a test album, before taking the plunge and copying everything over.  The test album copied fine, and I am now syncing my entire music collection to the SD card.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru