Media Overdrive - Mac - Audiobooks

Hello, 

I haven’t been on the forum here for a long time and need some assistance, please. 

I have a new Macbook Pro - OSX 10.9.4 and am using Media Overdrive 1.1.1. and the Sansa Clip is set to MSC.

The Mac recognizes my Sansa Clip, I can see the icon on the desktop, but when I go to transfer the audiobook from within the Media Overdrive console, I’m told that the system can’t find a portable player. 

Years ago, when I was using Windows via a Mac and Paralles, the auto-system updater stopped working, so I haven’t updated the firmware in a very long time. It’s V01.01.35A. I’m not even sure how to do it now that I’m using the Mac directly for Overdrive. 

Any suggestions as to how to get Media Overdrive to find the Clip? 

Thank you. 

I doubt it’s the firmware. You a’re connected but the Overdrive software isn’t recognizing the unit. I’d try here:

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481730-having-trouble-

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481660

If you were using Windows and its Overdrive setup, it was probably connecting via MTP–using connections like  Windows Media Player. Having switched to Mac, you don’t have Windows Media Player, so the connection is going to be different. Since they make Overdrive for Mac, presumably they have figured this out and have steps to help.

You have the latest firmware.  If you want to try updating it, use the manual method.

Basically download from the All Regions link (Version 1 for yours), unzip it, drag it onto the Sansa’s driveletter, disconnect and it will update.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Sansa-Clip-Firmware-01-01-35-amp-02-01-35-Release/td-p/144965

Thank you. I had gone there, but still wasn’t able to solve the problem.

I just had the idea to simply drag the audiobook files into the Clip using two Finder windows, but I shouldn’t have done that. I realize now that I didn’t have room for two books and now my Clip attempts to boot up, but freezes on Refreshing Your Media.

It was really a foolish impulse. I’ll try a hard reboot and see what happens.

Thank you for your suggestions.

If it stays frozen, you may have to format it, which will erase anything you’ve put on it. But don’t format from Mac.

Find someone with a Windows computer, connect the USB to the computer, hold down the << and connect the Sansa. That should force a Windows connection, and in Computer (or My Computer) you can right-click on the Sansa and Format it to FAT32.

Library books always go through consoles so they can transfer data like expiration dates and unlock codes. Drag-and-drop probably gives you unplayable, locked files. Audiobooks don’t take up that much room, so I would guess you have sent the Sansa something it can’t digest. 

Looking at the Overdrive site, I can’t tell whether Overdrive on Mac is only compatible with Apple players. I hope that’s not the case, but I raise the possibility because in the Windows world, Overdrive uses elements of Windows Media Player to send those codes over to the Sansa.   Macs don’t have WMP, and iTunes doesn’t work with Sansa. But I hope Overdrive has worked out compatibility across the proprietary-software divide. 

If it stays frozen, you may have to format it, which will erase anything you’ve put on it. But don’t format from Mac.

Find someone with a Windows computer, connect the USB to the computer, hold down the << and connect the Sansa. That should force a Windows connection, and in Computer (or My Computer) you can right-click on the Sansa and Format it to FAT32.

Library books usually go through consoles so they can transfer data like expiration dates and unlock codes. Drag-and-drop probably gave you unplayable, locked files. Audiobooks don’t take up that much room, so I would guess you have sent the Sansa something it can’t digest. 

It looks like even though there is Overdrive for Mac, it’s still Windows-oriented. 

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481683-wma-and-wmv-files-are-not-supported-by-the-mac-operating-system-

That seems to mean that it’s going to depend on what kind of audiobook files your library offers. If it’s sticking to rights-protected Windows Media Audio files, you won’t be able to play them without getting a Windows computer involved.  

On the other hand, if they are plain old mp3 files, you may not need the console at all, because there are no hidden codes to send. You should look at the tags in iTunes (Get Info) and make sure Genre says Audiobooks. If you’re not sure what format they are, you can highlght them in iTunes and Create MP3 Version.  Then, just as an experiment, copy-and-paste some mp3s into the Sansa’s Audiobooks folder.  It should work if they are mp3s without digital-rights garbage. 

I turned it off while holding the center button and when I turned it back on, it was fine. The specific audiobooks that I’m trying to transfer are mp3 files. I thing you are correct concerning the drop-and-drag not working because of the licensing issue. I deleted the files that I dragged over to the Clip

I have a work around to get the books on the Clip, but I’d really like to be able to do it from my new laptop. I think I’ll call my library system’s tech support over the weekend. I have the mac Overdrive system installed and I can see the Clip on the desktop. I just need to get them to talk to each other.

Thank you!

Very likely it’s a DRM and software matter–good to check with the staff.