Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
terranX

.M4A

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can't use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

SanDisk Professor
Jamieson

Re: .M4A

This Knowledgebase article might help

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

terranX wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can't use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

In answer to your question, unlikely, at this point (although it would be a nice surprise and wise, in my humble view, for further attracting the iPod Shuffle and Nano/iTunes crowd). 

SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

SanDisk Guru
saratoga

terranX wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? 

Probably just rockbox.  

SanDisk Guru
Marvin_Martian

neutron_bob wrote:

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

You can, but you will lose some quality converting lossy to lossy. Better off buying a Fuze+ or putting rockbox on that Clip+.:smileytongue:

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User
wplj42

OK, I've heard of Rockbox, but that is all. I am not a rocket scientist. While it is possible to convert files in iTunes, I prefer the AAC HE (AAC+) format. Is there any danger for me in using Rockbox? I will mention, for anyone who has seen my previous posts, I have returned to Windows from the Mac. Not sure if that matters or not.

Jim

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Rockbox has a disclaimer, as one might expect.  But no one has posted of a bricking of a Clip for many months, and even before then, any issue of that type only was rare.

The Clip (and other Sansa player) Rockbox port page:  http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

The Rockbox manual page (don't be intimidated by it--it tries to cover all of the many Rockbox options; it also includes install instructions):  http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

SanDisk User
wplj42

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don't like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

SanDisk Guru
Marvin_Martian

wplj42 wrote:

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don't like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

What do you mean it failed to operate on your computer?

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520