Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

.M4A

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can't use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

SanDisk Professor

Re: .M4A

This Knowledgebase article might help

SanDisk Guru

terranX wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can't use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

In answer to your question, unlikely, at this point (although it would be a nice surprise and wise, in my humble view, for further attracting the iPod Shuffle and Nano/iTunes crowd). 

SanDisk Guru

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk Guru

terranX wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? 

Probably just rockbox.  

SanDisk Guru

neutron_bob wrote:

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

You can, but you will lose some quality converting lossy to lossy. Better off buying a Fuze+ or putting rockbox on that Clip+.Smiley Tongue

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User

OK, I've heard of Rockbox, but that is all. I am not a rocket scientist. While it is possible to convert files in iTunes, I prefer the AAC HE (AAC+) format. Is there any danger for me in using Rockbox? I will mention, for anyone who has seen my previous posts, I have returned to Windows from the Mac. Not sure if that matters or not.

Jim

SanDisk Guru

Rockbox has a disclaimer, as one might expect.  But no one has posted of a bricking of a Clip for many months, and even before then, any issue of that type only was rare.

The Clip (and other Sansa player) Rockbox port page:  http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

The Rockbox manual page (don't be intimidated by it--it tries to cover all of the many Rockbox options; it also includes install instructions):  http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

SanDisk User

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don't like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

SanDisk Guru

wplj42 wrote:

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don't like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

What do you mean it failed to operate on your computer?

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520