.M4A

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can’t use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

This Knowledgebase article might help

@terranx wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? It is really annoying that I can’t use this type of file on the Clip+. Considering my entire libary is in .m4a and iTunes is the most popular music store that sells only .m4a files, I feel it is not right for SanDisk to not include this file type to the Clip+.

In answer to your question, unlikely, at this point (although it would be a nice surprise and wise, in my humble view, for further attracting the iPod Shuffle and Nano/iTunes crowd). 

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@terranx wrote:

Is there going to firmware supporting mpeg-4 audio? 

Probably just rockbox.  

@neutron_bob wrote:

The new Fuze+ supports AAC (M4A) format for unprotected media (M4P is not supported).

From iTunes, you can convert your files to MP3 format for use on any device other than Apple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

You can, but you will lose some quality converting lossy to lossy. Better off buying a Fuze+ or putting rockbox on that Clip+.:stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I’ve heard of Rockbox, but that is all. I am not a rocket scientist. While it is possible to convert files in iTunes, I prefer the AAC HE (AAC+) format. Is there any danger for me in using Rockbox? I will mention, for anyone who has seen my previous posts, I have returned to Windows from the Mac. Not sure if that matters or not.

Jim

Rockbox has a disclaimer, as one might expect.  But no one has posted of a bricking of a Clip for many months, and even before then, any issue of that type only was rare.

The Clip (and other Sansa player) Rockbox port page:  http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

The Rockbox manual page (don’t be intimidated by it–it tries to cover all of the many Rockbox options; it also includes install instructions):  http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don’t like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

@wplj42 wrote:

Rocketbox failed to operate on my computer. I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Even trying the Windows compatibility mode in XP, it would not operate. So I aborted. My entire iTunes library is in 80 kbps AAC+. I have just returned to Windows from the Mac. I will have to look around for a program (free) that will convert to ogg. I don’t like MP3, regardless of compatibility.

What do you mean it failed to operate on your computer?

Rockbox doesn’t run on computers, it runs on Mp3 players.  What exactly did you try to do?

I think the OP needs to read the Rockbox manual. Please refer to the links above.

Oops, I didn’t mean to call it Rocketbox. Meanwhile, I did get it to install. Turned the screen into something that is impossible for me to read. The basic Clip+ screen is bad enough. So I quickly figured out how to remove it. Perhaps I will find a program to convert to ogg or wma soon.

Again, you really need to read the manual.  It is a short amount of time well-served.  See, again, the link provided above to the manual.

Most specifically, you can choose from a variety of screen displays, and even create your own, making the screen as simple or as complex as you like.  The screen gallery for the Clips:  http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipplus

Some of the screens provide lots of detail and even alternate screens.  Others are simple with larger type. 

Some of the simpler ones, matching the simplicity of the original Clip screen:

And one of the more detailed screens, with a clock and the date (!):

@wplj42 wrote:

Turned the screen into something that is impossible for me to read. The basic Clip+ screen is bad enough. So I quickly figured out how to remove it. 

If you have bad eye sight, just increase the text size.  

Note that increasing the font size will work for some WPS screen designs, but less successfully with others, depending on the screen design layout.

Again, the Rockbox manual (see the link above) is your friend… 

I looked at the PDF (manual) which is really hard to read, and yes I have bad eyesight. The HTML looks okay, but I guess it just isn’t that big of a deal for now.

Thanks!

Jim