Left and right channels reversed when playing .WAV files

xcvbnm wrote:

Which means, for one thing, that there are thousands of files ripped by thousands of people out there with the same exact headers, and all those files will play with the channels reversed.

Yes, but no one uses WAV files for actual playback, so you’re probably the first to notice.  And probably only half of them would on average be reversed, since the number of samples lost at the beginning is random, half of people would get an even number lost and thus not flip the channels.  

xcvbnm wrote:
    Now, I’d like to address the contention that the headers are not widely supported, and Sandisk firmware does not expect them. Let’s take a very, very old version of, say, Windows Media Player. Clearly, that old version will know nothing about these modern headers. My question is, does this mean that that old version of Windows Media Player will play the files with the channels reversed? I didn’t do such testing, and I don’t know the answer.

INFO chunks in WAV files are much older then WMP, so I suspect all versions will support it.  The problem with them is that they’re just not very widely supported, so they’re not a great idea to use.  If you need to tag files, you should be using FLAC, which has much more widely supported file tags.

xcvbnm wrote:

However, if the answer is no, you’ll have to admit that this is a Sansa firmware bug after all.

As I said above, this is a bug in the Sandisk firmware.