Left and right channels reversed when playing .WAV files

There’s something definitely wonky with those files!

I don’t have VLC (and wasn’t about to download another program to try them out), but tried to play them in Windows Media Player. I got an error message saying WMP couldn’t play it because it was an unsupported file type. WMP does indeed support WAV files and I have others that play perfectly fine through it.

However, even as this error message was displaying, the L_REV_2.WAV file would play; and the voice came out of the left speaker. Funny thing though, the time listed for the file (in WMP) was over 4 minutes and in actuality it is only like 17 seconds long (if I’m remembering correctly). The L_REV_1.WAV file wouldn’t play at all.

I then fired up Winamp. Both files played fine and the appropriate sound came out of the appropriate speaker. Winamp gave me no error messages.

I then transferred the files to my Clip+ (with the .15 firmware) to both the internal memory and external memory card, plugged in my earphones (taking special note to get the right phone in the right ear and left phone in the left ear) to have a listen. Sure enough as you said, the left channel was playing in the right ear. The L_REV_1.WAV file did also indeed freeze up the player, requiring a reset but the L_REV_2.WAV file did not.

Interestingly, remember how this file showed in WMP as being over 4 minutes long? Well, on my Clip it showed the correct time (17 secs.) but what was strange was that the progress bar did not move as it normally does when advancing through a song.

This behavior occurred with the files being played from both the internal memory and card. I believe I mentioned I’ve checked several other WAV files and they seem to play without incident on the Clip+. I’m not sure where you got these files, or from what program they were ripped through, but it looks like this is where the problem is, not with the Clip+ player. The fault lies with the files themselves. I would re-download the files and not try to split or otherwise change them, and/or try a different ripping program.