LCD Display is fading fast

I searched around but didn’t find any help. My clip’s lcd is gone a bit wonkey. I noticed it yesterday and it seems worse today. I have tried reformatting in both methods. It seems as though the LCD itself might be shot. Still functions but I can’t see what is going on. It is not lighting up the right sections of the LCD or something. It didn’t get wet. Hasn’t been dropped. I am not sure how long I have had it so I don’t know about warrenty.

Anyone have this happen to them?

I would look for your purchase date and then, if within warranty, contact SanDisk.

Have gone to total black now. I guess it just wore out.

I don;t really keep track of $30 cash purchases. I don’t know if I filledin a warrenty or not. I have no reciept. I can’t recall if I bought this 8 months ago or 18 motnhs ago. I can’t seem to find the date I signed up for in this forum either.

I may buy another clip unit. I guess I’ll do tha warrenty if I do.

If it helps at all, your post info. says you registered here 12-18-2008.

Oh yeah. Well I guess this lasted me 11 months. I am pretty sure I signed up to figure out how to update firmware.

Arggh:  your player is still under replacement warranty …

Does SanDisk go by the honor system? If so I’ll drop them a line I guess. I’ll go look for a contact email. Thanks!

@cleantone wrote:
Does SanDisk go by the honor system? If so I’ll drop them a line I guess. I’ll go look for a contact email. Thanks!

Best to call them up. E-mails get responded to when they have time. :wink:

Just explain the problem you’re having. Let them bring up the subject of proof-of-purchase. Did you register it on the SanDisk site maybe at or around the same time as you joined the forum? If so, they will have the serial number in their computer system so you should be OK. If not, simply explain that you no longer have the receipt (many people don’t) and see what they can do for you.

SanDisk Tech Support Contact List

@cleantone wrote:

I searched around but didn’t find any help. My clip’s lcd is gone a bit wonkey. I noticed it yesterday and it seems worse today. I have tried reformatting in both methods. It seems as though the LCD itself might be shot. 

FWIW the clip does not have a LCD.   D, yes, LC, no.

I dunno about that. The display is surely an LCD. Liquid Crystal Diode.

@cleantone wrote:
I dunno about that. The display is surely an LCD. Liquid Crystal Diode.

LCD is liquid crystal display.   Pixels or segments are made transparent or opaque as applied voltage makes crystals in the liquid align, thus they become light (or colored) or black with the help of ambient or back light.  This type of display is in the Sansa Fuze, E200, M200, and others.

The Clip has OLED display, Organic Light Emitting Diode. 

Message Edited by donp on 11-02-2009 10:35 AM

Cool. Thanks. OLED is an LED. Symantics.

@cleantone wrote:
Cool. Thanks. OLED is an LED. Symantics.

THe key difference is an LED works by EMITTING light.  An LCD works by PASSING light.

You know what? I wasn’t even realizing I had said LCD initially. But more importantly the only part that I care about right now is that it broke after 11 months.

R.I.P. OLED

Message Edited by cleantone on 11-02-2009 07:49 AM

Not quite semantics, come to think of it.  An LCD (also TFT for color) display requires a light source through the display screen to observe it.  This is provided by the white LEDS behind the screen of the Fuze, View, e200, etc.

The Clips and Express use OLEDs, which produce their own light.

Under normal use, the OLED should last several years.  The OLED is currently enjoying its debut in large scale as the key component in large screen TVs.

µsansa

Okay great, see you later. Obviously this unit is dead and the more I get talked down to the more I am considering replacing it with a different brand. My query was not “what kind of display is this”. It was about the display dying. Which has happened. So my unit doesn’t have a OLED, LCD, or and sort of D. I can appreciate a little bit of extra knowledge but at this point I don’t want any more information about the displays.

Apparently nothing can bring back this display so this thread is pretty well finished.

Thank you for the help. 

@cleantone wrote:

R.I.P. OLED

Message Edited by cleantone on 11-02-2009 07:49 AM

In the end, that’s the part that matters.

With the “plus” model out now, I’d expect even the 8 GB original clips to be showing up cheap on the overstock market soon. 

Hey, don’t give up hope!  You may still be within the warranty limitations (one year).  Contact Support at 1-866-SanDisk for assistance.

µsansa