Just got my Sansa Clip today...why can't I move podcasts from my laptop to my Sansa Clip?

I have read that to move podcasts onto your Sansa Clip, you need to put them into the MUSIC folder on the Sansa Clip.  But if this is true, why does a folder named PODCASTS already exist on the mp3 player?  

Is there any benefit to me installing the Rhapsody software that came along with the Sansa Clip?  I like to use explorer.

Also, is it possible to use Itunes with the Sansa?

Thanks for any and all replies.

v/r

I find it convenient to separate my music which (administered and synched  by Win Media Player) which I seldom erase, from my podcasts which are generally erased after listening.

I do this by using the external uSD card that is plugged into the Clip+ for storing my podcasts.  I simply plug Clip+ into my PC and open its  "external memory location, and then copy the downloaded podcasts into the Clip+  Podcast folder.  Doesn’t matter if podcasts are all in a single folder, as Clip+ sorts them by Album and Title tags.  

Probably can find a way to synch these, but no problem for me to re-tag and transfer manually.

Thanks for your reply gerryp. All these years and I wasn’t aware Windows Media Player had that capability!  

So if I understand you correctly then, I SHOULD use a memory card and copy the podcasts onto it?  Do I need to make folders for the memory card as well?

You said you keep your music files on the Clip+, does that mean you keep them on the unit or do you put them on the memory card as well?

Just out of curiousity, why does Sansa have those folders (i.e., podcasts) on the Clip+ if we are prohibited to copy podcasts to it?  Do folders on the Clip+ OR the memory card attached to the Clip+ serve any purpose at all?

Thanks again for your help with this.

@jburr59 wrote:

I have read that to move podcasts onto your Sansa Clip, you need to put them into the MUSIC folder on the Sansa Clip.  But if this is true, why does a folder named PODCASTS already exist on the mp3 player?  

I don’t know where you read that. Yes, you can indeed (and should) put them into the PODCASTS folder.

Is there any benefit to me installing the Rhapsody software that came along with the Sansa Clip?  I like to use explorer.

Only if you want to rent your music.

Also, is it possible to use Itunes with the Sansa?

Possible? Maybe. Advisable? Absolutely not. If you want to use Windows Explorer, go right ahead. That’s the simplest, most straight-forward and trouble-free way of adding or deleting music (& podcasts) to your player. Just drag & drop, or use the Copy To Folder… option in the Edit menu.

Thanks for any and all replies.

v/r

I read it somewhere in one of the forums here (that you had to move podcasts into the MUSIC folder…).

Earlier I was unable to move podcasts into the folder called PODCASTS (but for some reason, I had no problem moving podcasts into the MUSIC folder – weird!) but all is well now with the pods … so far.

Thanks for the intel on Rhapsody and advice with Itunes.  I really appreciate your help.

• Joe

Some answers to your questions:

I use WMP for music admin and synch-ing because Clip+ seems to be built with WMP in mind and works very well with this interface.  I thought about using iTunes but decided it was too invasive and would inundate my PC with advertisements and e-mails.

I put my podcasts on a separate uSDC and manually update to avoid disturbing my music catalog containing more than 1,000 selections.  My music selections are stored in the Clip’s internal memory.  I suppose I could back them up on uSDC as well but not much advantage since they are already backed up om my PC.

Podcasts are are arranged by Clip no matter whether they originate in folders or separate files.  All Clip cares about are the Album and Title tags of the podcasts

No problem copying podcasts to the Podcast folder, but Clip will assort them by tags, as indicated…  Podcast folder allows an easy search from the Clip menu

I’m just about to purchase a sandisk and I really appreciate all the useful comments questions and especially the replies on this site. Thank you!

Thanks for making this seem clearer gerryp.  WMP does more than I imagined.  Too bad it doesn’t have the podcast support itunes does.  

I bought a Ipod a couple weeks ago and took it back because I was so unsatisfied with it.  This Clip+ really is a much better product for less $$.

I think I’ll take your advice and buy me a uSDC (that’s a memory card right?) for the podcasts and use WMP for the music.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice.

A nice exception to the “the Clip uses ID3 tags” issue: for files without tags stored in the Podcasts and Audiobooks folders on the Clip, and elsewhere on the Clip but with the genre ID3 tag field set to either Podcast or Audiobook, the Clip will use the file and folder names for the file and display them on the screen. An enhancement added by SanDisk to avoid having to tag the more disposible podcast and audiobook files.

Thanks Miikerman, that’s another thing I wasn’t aware of with the Clip.  

Do you know of another utility (similar to itunes) for managing podcasts (updates and subscriptions)?  That’s really the only reason I have itunes still on my computer.

I have one last question and I’ll close this thread up.  Is there a BEST memory card to use with the Clip?

@jburr59 wrote:

I have one last question and I’ll close this thread up.  Is there a BEST memory card to use with the Clip?

Did you really expect to get a different answer? :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you really expect to get a different answer?

Nope. That’s what I expected.  But I meant is there a specific SanDisk memory disk I need?  I reckon not.  Thanks everyone for your help!

@jburr59 wrote:

Thanks Miikerman, that’s another thing I wasn’t aware of with the Clip.  

Do you know of another utility (similar to itunes) for managing podcasts (updates and subscriptions)?  That’s really the only reason I have itunes still on my computer.

The podcast/audiobook ID3 tag enhancement was added by SanDisk after the Clip first came out–as far as I’m aware, the enhancement isn’t documented anywhere apart from in the forum and in the firmware update notes when the enhancement first came out as part of the firmware update.

As to podcast aggregators: 

Personally, I still use my tried-and-true Juice (formerly known as iPodder–Apple diidn’t like that …).  Simple and easy to use (and Internet freeware).

(Note:  for Windows Vista and 7, you need to change the file destination location in the program from the default “My Documents” location to a “Documents” location–this can be done in the ipodder.cfg file or under the program’s preferences, if the program starts for you.  (The program has not been updated since XP days, and Vista and 7 have changed the file destination nomenclature a bit.)  You also may need to run the program under compatibility mode for Windows XP or earlier, and as Admininistrator.) 

@jburr59 wrote:

Really, any solid memory card will be just fine, SanDisk or not (and with all due respect to SanDisk).  I have used SanDisk, Polaroid (which can be less expensive), and Kingston cards all without issue.

Do note:  buy from a reputable seller, as fake cards are well-known (take care with eBay).  Also, cards can be defective–I’d make sure the card could be exchanged/returned easily. 

The podcast/audiobook ID3 tag enhancement was added by SanDisk after the Clip first came out–as far as I’m aware, the enhancement isn’t documented anywhere 

I want to read more about this (but then again, you say it isn’t documented …)

Personally, I still use my tried-and-true Juice

I was reading about that on this website (http://www.podcatchermatrix.org/index.php) .  I’m hoping it’ll integrate with WMP.  And just my luck - I have Vista :frowning:

Really, any solid memory card will be just fine, SanDisk or not (and with all due respect to SanDisk).  I have used SanDisk, Polaroid (which can be less expensive), and Kingston cards all without issue.

Do note:  buy from a reputable seller, as fake cards are well-known (take care with eBay).  Also, cards can be defective–I’d make sure the card could be exchanged/returned easily. 

Good intel to have.  Thanks again.  I gave up on ebay last year.  Got tired of their rising prices and b.s. rules!

@jburr59 wrote:

The podcast/audiobook ID3 tag enhancement was added by SanDisk after the Clip first came out–as far as I’m aware, the enhancement isn’t documented anywhere 

I want to read more about this (but then again, you say it isn’t documented …)

Personally, I still use my tried-and-true Juice

I was reading about that on this website (http://www.podcatchermatrix.org/index.php) .  I’m hoping it’ll integrate with WMP.  And just my luck - I have Vista :frowning:

It works just fine with Vista and Windows 7, once you note the quick and easy (really) 1-time “fixes” mentioned above to get compliance with Vista/7. 

I don’t know about integration with WMP (and I’m not quite sure what that would be)–I simply go to the Juice destination folder for the podcasts and then copy and paste what I want to where I want (such as, to my Clip’s podcasts folder). 

Here’s a listing of the Clip firmware revisions history.  I believe the podcasts/audiobooks enhancements mentioned above occurred with firmware version 01.01.29 and are discussed under that section.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30954

@jburr59 wrote:

Did you really expect to get a different answer?

Nope. That’s what I expected.  But I meant is there a specific SanDisk memory disk I need?  I reckon not.  Thanks everyone for your help!

As long as it’s the Micro SD or SDHC size like the one on the left in this picture:

sandisk_microsd_card.jpg

It will work , regardless of memory space (2GB, 4GB, 32GB, etc.). Note that the M2 (on the right) is just as teeny, but made for different host machines. That one won’t work in the Sansa mp3 players.