How to delete an entire audiobook

I have a lot of material (books, white-papers, courses etc.) all tagged as genre ‘audiobook’ and placed in the audiobook-folder. Everything OK sofar. Plays fine.

But I want to delete an entire book at once and I can only delete chapter by chapter. Because there are 20 to sometimes 200 or more chapters this won’t work.

All the books are tagged: Artist (for author), Album (for book) and Title (for chapter). Allready tried to give each title the same name as Album/book (tracknr gives the right order) with no result.

Can this sansaclip only handle books in AA-format? I tried to find a converter (multiple mp3-files to aa) but again without result.

Anyone an idea?

The easiest way to delete an entire audiobook is hooking it up to the computer & deleting the book by folder from the player.  Otherwise, it’s one file at a time through the player’s menu.  I usually leave old books on the player until I’m ready to put new books on - delete the old ones, add the new ones all in one session.

I’ve never used AA-format audiobooks.  I listen to MP3 and WMA format books.  What problem are you having? 

The books are for my (quit old) mother. Besides her bad hearing she is not good in remembering (or writing down) what she has already read (and neither am I). Deleting always was the method for her until her Creative-Zen-V broke down. And she still wants it this way on the Sansa (which she realy likes!).

I tried the PC-option but that did not work for her.

Other options:

1. Playlist creation: http://www.sansacommunity.com/forum/thread/11369/Creating-Playlists-for-Sansa-Clip/. Made one playlist and synchronised with Windows Media Player. No help here because you can not delete a playlist.
  2. Convert mp3-files to AA (Audible inc) which is the supported format?? Haven’t found anything yet (for iPod there seems to be a solution).
  3. Rockbox (alternative firmware). It seems you can delete Directories (which is an album or a book). This is the simplest because there is nothing extra to do. But flashing firmware is scary. But probably the only solution:cry:

There are free utilities to combine MP3 files into one long MP3 file - MergeMP3, maybe?  I know I’ve used something like that before when ripping CDs to combine single tracks into one MP3 file per CD, but one MP3 file per book could be done also.  It wouldn’t be my preference, but that might work for your situation.  I’m sure there would be benefits to having the book as an AA file instead of MP3, but I don’t know of any converter.

Flashing the firmware - just read up on it.  Know the risks & rewards and weigh them.  I don’t use Rockbox because of the possible risk of it disabling Digital Rights Management - if I didn’t rely so heavily on DRM for downloaded library books, I’d be trying Rockbox.  I’ve toyed with the idea of “sacrificing” one of my old Clips to Rockbox, just to see if it really does disable DRM. 

@frederic wrote:

The books are for my (quit old) mother. Besides her bad hearing she is not good in remembering (or writing down) what she has already read (and neither am I). Deleting always was the method for her until her Creative-Zen-V broke down. And she still wants it this way on the Sansa (which she realy likes!).

Other options:

1. Playlist creation: http://www.sansacommunity.com/forum/thread/11369/Creating-Playlists-for-Sansa-Clip/. Made one playlist and synchronised with Windows Media Player. No help here because you can not delete a playlist.
  2. Convert mp3-files to AA (Audible inc) which is the supported format?? Haven’t found anything yet (for iPod there seems to be a solution).
  3. Rockbox (alternative firmware). It seems you can delete Directories (which is an album or a book). This is the simplest because there is nothing extra to do. But flashing firmware is scary. But probably the only solution:cry:

2.) Why would you want (or need) to convert .mp3 files to.aa? I can’t see where this will solve your problem (deleting entire folders from the player using button presses instead of connecting to the computer). You didn’t say which Clip model you have, but all of them play .mp3 files just fine; it’s what they’re made for.

3.) Installiing Rockbox isn’t the traumatic experience it once was many years ago. Using the Rockbox Utility, it’s automated, painless and problem-free.

05-22-2012 10:47 AM

@frederic wrote:

Other options:

1. Playlist creation: http://www.sansacommunity.com/forum/thread/11369/C​reating-Playlists-for-Sansa-Clip/. Made one playlist and synchronised with Windows Media Player. No help here because you can not delete a playlist.
  3. Rockbox (alternative firmware). It seems you can delete Directories (which is an album or a book). This is the simplest because there is nothing extra to do. But flashing firmware is scary. But probably the only solution

2.) Why would you want (or need) to convert .mp3 files to.aa? I can’t see where this will solve your problem (deleting entire folders from the player using button presses instead of connecting to the computer). You didn’t say which Clip model you have, but all of them play .mp3 files just fine; it’s what they’re made for.

3.) Installing Rockbox isn’t the traumatic experience it once was many years ago. Using the Rockbox Utility, it’s automated, painless and problem-free.

With Rockbox you can access files thru database (mp3-tags) or filebrowsing. Using filebrowsing you miss some (mostly tag-releted) features such as multiple bookmarks but you can delete files AND folders:manhappy:

So this works fine for us.

Thanks for helping!