Free space slowly decreasing on apple Mac

There is a thread on the subject:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=12743

But it is marked as resolved and I must say this isn't resolved at all. The OP of this thread  found that the best way to solve that is to format the clip once in a while.

Others posters said that we must install software to remove unwanted file.

But is there a way to correct that in next firmware update. I am about sure that the problem came from the automatic data uptade that the clip is making when removed fromt the usb plug.

So can this be checked in the next firmware update? Mod?

SanDisk Guru

Re: Free space slowly decreasing on apple Mac

if you are deleting the files using your MAC you will also first need to empty the trash before disconnecting the device. this is the only way to free up the space. it is the way MAC works and has nothing to do with the firmware of the device. 
SanDisk User

You don't need to install software. I could just now examine the hidden sansa files from a mac, but don't have time to finish giving all the right steps. If you go into mac applications/utilities/terminal.app you bring up a very powerful mode - you are a superman for good or evil and may kill your sansa or mac or the universe if not done right. So don't try the preliminary stuff below unless either you know what you are doing or I clean up the directions a bit later. If you don't like this approach, tough luck... it can be for other readers to see or help with.  

What I did is plug in sansa and click on mac's terminal. In that window I did something like

cd /

ls

cd Volumes

ls

cd "SANSA CLIP"

ls -a -S

That gave me a file list: 

MTABLE.SYS .Spotlight-V100 .fseventsd MUSIC SYS_CONF.SYS

RES_INFO.SYS .Trashes AUDIBLE PODCASTS ..

. ._.Trashes AUDIOBOOKS RECORD version.sdk

I have heard of that stupid useless spotlight directory that mac generates, so I experimented with "rm -r .Spotlight-V100" which removes it. you have to kill the terminal window in order to eject the sansa. I found the mac recreated it when bringing things online again, maybe the problem is the .trashes anyway. Now I just remembered I want to always use the ls -a -o option to see the sizes, which are modest in my case although it probably doesn't include under the directory. TBD

DO NOT TRY THE BELOW STEPS, IT IS JUST TO COPY IN SOME NOTES ON SOLVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM ON THE MAC ITSELF and gives raw material to come up with relevant commands later:

For the record, if your disk space disappears, go into applications utility "terminal" and risk total meltdown with:
sudo du -h -d 1 /
...which will show the huge file. Get rid of it by
cd / (move to the top) 
ls -a (see what is there including hidden files)
sudo mdutil -i off / (turn spotlight off)
sudo rm -r .Spotlight-V100 (delete the old index)
sudo rm .metadata_never_index (delete the never index file, if there)
sudo mdutil -i on / (turn spotlight back on)

drlucky wrote:
if you are deleting the files using your MAC you will also first need to empty the trash before disconnecting the device. this is the only way to free up the space. it is the way MAC works and has nothing to do with the firmware of the device. 
Unfortunately it is not related with that. Thanks anyway.

daft wrote:

You don't need to install software. I could just now examine the hidden sansa files from a mac, but don't have time to finish giving all the right steps. If you go into mac applications/utilities/terminal.app you bring up a very powerful mode - you are a superman for good or evil and may kill your sansa or mac or the universe if not done right. So don't try the preliminary stuff below unless either you know what you are doing or I clean up the directions a bit later. If you don't like this approach, tough luck... it can be for other readers to see or help with.  

Thanks for your answer. I only play in terminal when I have step by step instructions. I'll try your code, but rather prefer that this be fix in a next firmware ud. 
  It  is somekind of a major bug Robot Sad

SanDisk Guru

canadien wrote:

daft wrote:

Thanks for your answer. I only play in terminal when I have step by step instructions. I'll try your code, but rather prefer that this be fix in a next firmware ud. 
  It  is somekind of a major bug Robot Sad

Its not got to do so much with the firmware as it does the way the player and the Mac communicate. What I mean is the way the Mac transfers files is different from PC. It leaves remnant files from the transfer process the same thing happens with Flash drives I think its a Mac thing. 

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Its not got to do so much with the firmware as it does the way the player and the Mac communicate. What I mean is the way the Mac transfers files is different from PC. It leaves remnant files from the transfer process the same thing happens with Flash drives I think its a Mac thing. 

Well, I had several mp3 players in that past that were doing great with both Pc and Mac.  That's the reason why I am thinking that something can be done in the firmware...

SanDisk User

By the way, those strange superuser commands at bottom of my post was to solve a problem of my mac space disappearing when running some mp4 utility program. It would cause the mac to create a multi gig spotlight directory.

But on the clip, I gave up examining mine in terminal. I don't seem to be losing noticible space, and I have an embarassing obstacle in getting the command options right. When I want to check the syntax of a command using the "man" command, I don't know how to get back out of the manual without killing terminal.

SanDisk Guru

daft wrote:

By the way, those strange superuser commands at bottom of my post was to solve a problem of my mac space disappearing when running some mp4 utility program. It would cause the mac to create a multi gig spotlight directory.

But on the clip, I gave up examining mine in terminal. I don't seem to be losing noticible space, and I have an embarassing obstacle in getting the command options right. When I want to check the syntax of a command using the "man" command, I don't know how to get back out of the manual without killing terminal.

Think it will work the same way on the Fuze? I have only been using my clip on my mac (because its the one that if something major happens I can deal because it was cheaper) but I would like to start using my fuze with it too. As of now I have only used my PC to transfer to the fuze.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk User

I would only hesitate to use those sudo commands, but I think you can examine the situation with the earlier commands (add the -o option to ls to see the sizes). And in my case, the simple rm -r seemed to work for deleteing. A new version was later created, but maybe in the standard smaller size. 

I have had mostly good luck using 3 different kinds of mp3 player with the mac. Seems even more forgiving than apple ipods, which can be fussy.