Formatting Sansa Clip Plus

@rostilj wrote:

The problem is that I am missing 200 mb!

In windows it says that capacity of a player is 1,8 GB, but it also says that only 1,6 GB is free. So I’m missing 200 mb. 

Hidden file and folders are visible, and there aren’t any.

Firmware, operating files & RAM. You wouldn’t want to delete these to gain only 200mb, even if you could. Then your player would basically only be a flash drive.

For a 2 GB player, 1.8 GB with 1.6 GB sounds about right. First of all, what Sandisk calls 2 GB is 2 billion bytes. what windows calls 2 GB is 1024x1024x1024 bytes. So Sandisk’s 2 GB is really 1.86 GB. Then figure some space is also lost due to formatting.

The firmware and other system files take up 200 meg or so. So that bring you to 1.6 GB free on a 2GB player.

If you want to format the player, use the player’s menu(setttings, system settings, format).

1 Like

OK, thank’s guys! :slight_smile:

i’m trying to reformat my 4 gb clip+. on the device’s menu. my options are the following:

MAIN MENU /  SETTINGS / SYSTEM SETTINGS / RESET FACTORY SETTINGS / YES

i’ve seen replies to formatting questions saying

MENU / SETTINGS / FORMAT

i don’t see the above options on my device. what am i doing wrong. thanks for any help.

Menu|Settings|System Settings|Format.  It’s 2nd from the bottom of the list between “USB Format” & “Press and Hold.”

How long should a format take on a 4GB model?

@thumper wrote:

How long should a format take on a 4GB model?

Less time than it took you to post the question. :stuck_out_tongue:

My 8GB Clip+ was missing over 3 GB after it froze following a recharge - right after disconnecting the USB cable.

Using the menu to format it fixed the problem.

Thanks!

After reformatting my Clip+ the audio books I have checked out from the library won’t transfer to my clip+. 

The message “The license does not exist or is expired”.

It must think my Clip+ is not the same.

Any suggestions?

Probably have to change the USB connection mode or re-authorize the device with Overdrive or whatever software your library uses.

computer does not recognize will not charge full

@933727b wrote:

computer does not recognize will not charge full

1.  Off-topic for this thread.
  2.  Try a different USB port.
  3.  Try a different cable/cord.
  4.  Start a new thread with more details for help.

While formatting via settings is the easiest and probably preferred method, I’ve never had a problem formatting via windows, selecting fat32. I’ve never tried fat and wouldn’t with any device with this capacity.

after reading this thread, i am hesitant to reformat my sansa  clip for fear that it will not accept library books or work easily with overdrive anymore.  (i am reformating because the device claims the internal memory is full even though i deleted all files via the computer connection)

should i be concerned that the device’s compatibility with overdrive and library downloads will be compromised?

@paulas wrote:

after reading this thread, i am hesitant to reformat my sansa  clip for fear that it will not accept library books or work easily with overdrive anymore.  (i am reformating because the device claims the internal memory is full even though i deleted all files via the computer connection)

should i be concerned that the device’s compatibility with overdrive and library downloads will be compromised?

No. You probably got the “Not enough space for music DB . . .” message which surprisingly enough, doesn’t usually mean the device is full, but rather the FAT is corrupted requiring a re-format. Note that after formatting it in Windows, I would re-format it again using the on-board Format option to optimize the memory clusters to the way the player likes them.

why bother reformating first with windows instead of going directly to the format function in the settings?  ??  

@paulas wrote:

why bother reformating first with windows instead of going directly to the format function in the settings?  ??  

If you can, then by all means do. But if you’re getting the “Not enough space for music db” message, you won’t be able to access the Settings menu in order to have the player format itself. :wink:

HELP!

I had problems with my sandisk sansa clip 8gb, it wouldnt turn on. It worked when connected to PC and has full battery.

On the screen it says connected when connected to PC.

When it is disconnected from the PC it wont go on, Ive held it for longer than a minute at the power button (multiple times) to try to reset it but this hasnt worked.

Last thing i done was re-format it via Windows. It wont reset now, help! I need to get this back working again for my running.

Up until this crashing Id say it was the best purchase ive ever made

Cheers

TP

If this is one of the old “original” Clips, note that a lot of them had an issue with falutly solder joints on the battery lead-in wires. If yours is one of these, and it seems to turn on normally when plugged into the power source (your computer), but turns off immediately when unplugging it, this may be the cause.