Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sockers50

First time user of Sansa Clip MP3 player

Hello,

I never had an MP3 player before.  I set up an account through Rhapsody, but only want to download (or upload?) music that is on Windows Media Player to the MP3 player.  Can someone provide me with a brief tutorial on how to do this.  I tried to follow the instructions that came with the unit, but am having a hard time following them.  As I said, I'm really quite "ignorant" when it comes to MP3 players, so forgive me if my questions seem silly.  In addition, any additional advice you can give me regarding the unit would be most appreciated.

John

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Re: First time user of Sansa Clip MP3 player

You realize that with Rhapsody, after your free trial period, you have to pay the monthly fee to be able to continue playing the songs, right? 

Other sources for music include your own CDs (just rip them to MP3 or other computer files; you can use Windows Media Player and other rippers for that); and numerous Internet sources, such as http://freealbums.blogsome.com/album-directory-a-z/.   Plus thousands of podcasts are readily available for free; see podcastalley.com.

Plus, you could explore monthly MP3 purchase subscriptions such as emusic.com; here's an offer for a free 30 days, with 50 downloads (if you quit in the first 30 days, there's no charge (really--it works and is easy to do/quit, without any issue; but you need a credit card to sign up)): http://www.emusic.com/me (you also get a free audiobook, if you want, and just have to cancel that part of the subscription within 2 weeks; again, easy and simple to do).

sockers50

Hello,

Thanks for replying.  I thought that you had to create an account before you could download songs?  Thats why I signed up on Rhapsody.  So, apparently you don't need to create an account, correct?

If thats the case, I'll simply cancel Rhapsody.

Thanks,

John

SanDisk Guru
PromisedPlanet

[ Edited ]

Yeah, the documentation and CD that comes with the Clip, at first glance, seems to imply that you need to install Rhapsody to use your Clip.  You don't.

Unless you really want subscription music such as Rhapsody, where you have to pay a fee every month to keep your music, you'll probably want to acquire music through other sources ... ripping from CD, buying from amazon.com etc., and then copy them to your Clip.  You don't need to use a music manager program like WMP to do this, you can just copy-and-paste from your PC to the Clip's internal memory using Windows Explorer (assuming you're using Windows). 

The Clip can be set to two modes, MSC and MTP.  Copying music to your Clip in MSC is faster (at least that's been my experience), while MTP is necessary if you plan to put subscription music on your Clip.

Free music (most is a little obscure) :

http://freealbums.blogsome.com/album-directory-a-z/

Cheap music:

http://dealnews.com/categories/Movies-Music-Books/Music/MP3-Downloads/527.html

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 06-14-2009 09:12 AM
SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Boy, that's pretty dodgy as to Rhapsody.  I've never had it and likely never will, and have been downloading away, happily.

Promised, don't knock your free music source, some of the music there isn't all that obscure:  the classical stuff.

And again, if you're into "radio talk shows," Podcastalley.com is a great guide to what's there--you could spend the rest of your life trying to listen to them all. 

sockers50

Thanks for replying.  I have a bunch of albums on WMP.  How do I convert these files to MP3 files?  Once converted, how do I download to the MP3 player? 

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to all this.

Sincerely,

John

SanDisk Guru
PromisedPlanet

What format are your songs in now?  The Clip supports MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, Flac and Audible.  If your songs are already in one of these formats, you can either use WMP to synchronize your Clip with the songs already in your library (see WMP's Help menu for more information on synchronizing), or you can just copy the songs directly from your PC's hard drive to the Clip's "music" folder.  (When you connect the Clip to your PC, you should see it show up under "My Computer" ).

sockers50

Hello,

Well, I connected the MP3 player to my computer, opened up WMP & on the right hand side the Sansa clip was displayed & below it was a sync list & it said to drag items here to create a list to sync to Sansa clip or shuffle music to Sansa clip.  I dragged an album of Alice Cooper songs to the sync list &  clicked on sync list.  When it was done, I went back to My Computer & the Alice Cooper album was  listed & I noticed it was already on my MP3 player.  I didn't have to drag and drop.

Is this all there is to it?

Thanks,

John

SanDisk Guru
PromisedPlanet

If you can click the play button on your Clip and hear Alice, you've done it.

sockers50

Hello again,

Thanks to everyone for all your help.  One last question:  How do you change the mode on the clip to MSC? 

Thanks,

JOhn