Few questions... just got my 1gb Clip - initial thoughts

Hello All,

I have been reading many posts in this great place for days now whilst awaiting the delivery of my Clip.

Clip just arrived and within a matter of 5 minutes or so I have done some checks on it, flashed the Rev2 up to the latest firmware, put it is MSC mode and uploaded a few albums - now it is on charge to fully charge.

So far so good, but hoped to get some comments on a few newbie questions please:-

1. Does the clip have to be on or off to charge via USB?  Its seems to charge both ways and so it is vital (I presume) to ‘eject’ the device from USB on screen before unplugging - even if the unit is actually ‘off’.

2. Do you all use the original Clip USB lead to charge it as I see it has a tube shaped moulding obviously concealing something… presumably a regular mini USB would do damage?

And now onto a subject that I have read alot about on these forums - alternate methods of charging…

I have a cheapo USB Car Charger and when tester with a multimeter outputs 5.02 volts, I also have a cheaper wall charger that outputs the same and so they are both seem ok to use with the clip as far as my reading on here has informed me.

However, the mAh of the wall charger is only 330mAh and I believe the clip needs at least 400 mAh.  Will that cause any damage do you think please?

I do have an emergency AA charger for a mobile phone.  I has a mini USB connector and takes 1 AA battery and works well with my S.E.k750i.  I was wondering if you clever peeps think it would be safe to use that in times of my Clip running low on power when I am out for the day.  An AA battery gives out 1.5volt and some rechargeable ones have a very high mAh of around 1800 - would that be ok?  I know the clip will accept 5v but surely anything lower will not actually damage it?

Just a few thoughts there - as for the player itself the reviews are right about the size - you just dont realise how small it is until you hold one.  It looks like a great player and does not feel or look flimsy or poorly made.  So far I am amazed at this player although have hardly touched it yet so will reserve my full judgement for a few days time.  Gotta say that I am bemused why the OLED has to stay on constantly whilst charging - surely a ‘wake up’ press of a button would surfice to see its charging status.

I look forward and thank you for ANY replies folks.

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

Message Edited by pinkfloydian on 02-11-2009 05:35 PM

@pinkfloydian wrote:

1. Does the clip have to be on or off to charge via USB?  Its seems to charge both ways and so it is vital (I presume) to ‘eject’ the device from USB on screen before unplugging - even if the unit is actually ‘off’.

1. Do you all use the original Clip USB lead to charge it as I see it has a tube shaped moulding obviously concealing something… presumably a regular mini USB would do damage?

1)  It doesn’t matter if the Clip is on or off.  If it’s hooked the PC it will turn itself on while charging.  And yes, it’s best to eject/stop it before you remove it. 

2)  The original USB cable has a ferrite core under that plastic tube.  It is supposed to reduce interference from electrical devices.  I don’t know why, it doesn’t seem necessary on so short a cable.  Otherwise, there is nothing special about the cable.  It doesnt’ matter what USB cable you use, so long as it has the mini-USB connector.  I use an adapter from a USB cabling kit that is about 1 1/5" long.  It’s not a cable per se, just a block of plastic with the appropriate connectors on each end.

And now onto a subject that I have read alot about on these forums - alternate methods of charging…

I have a cheapo USB Car Charger and when tester with a multimeter outputs 5.02 volts, I also have a cheaper wall charger that outputs the same and so they are both seem ok to use with the clip as far as my reading on here has informed me.

However, the mAh of the wall charger is only 330mAh and I believe the clip needs at least 400 mAh.  Will that cause any damage do you think please?

I do have an emergency AA charger for a mobile phone.  I has a mini USB connector and takes 1 AA battery and works well with my S.E.k750i.  I was wondering if you clever peeps think it would be safe to use that in times of my Clip running low on power when I am out for the day.  An AA battery gives out 1.5volt and some rechargeable ones have a very high mAh of around 1800 - would that be ok?  I know the clip will accept 5v but surely anything lower will not actually damage it?

The car charger should work fine, the wall charger might work, but it could take longer to charge.  I can’t speak to the single-AA charger; I’ve yet to understand how a 1.5V battery is supposed to charge a 3.7V battery.  There are chargers that use 4-AA batteries that would work.

@pinkfloydian wrote:

Hello All,

~

USB 2.0 Power spec is 5 VDC±5%  or between 4.75 to 5.25 VDC.  5 VDC - 400mAh will work,  most computers don’t supply more than 500 mAh.  And the Clip has a very small battery, its not going to be charging at a high current.

You need 5 VDC.   unless the voltage is stepped up on this,  don’t use it.   Use a volt meter and check the voltage.

~.

I look forward and thank you for ANY replies folks.

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

Message Edited by pinkfloydian on 02-11-2009 05:35 PM

Thanks jkj1962!

I never knew those things were ferrite cores - I learned something there!

Dont think those AA battery chargers are supposed to give a great charge as they are meant for emergency puruposes only.  I think they will just make a device run.  Saying that though, my Snoy Ericsson K750i Mobile Phone battery is 3.6v and I have run that dead and charged with a 1.5v emergency charger before and got a full hour of phone runtime back.  I think those chargers are amazing and a great idea to keep in the car.  I also have an Energiser one with 2xAA batteries.

niko_sama

Thanks for the reply but think you misread a little mate.  The AC socket charger is 330mAh not 400mAh.  I understand that the USB would be 500mAh but what is the difference or possible damage for using lower mAh - I mean… would it just charge slower using 330mAh?

You said I would need 5VDC and so not to use the emergency AA charger unless it is stepped up… well, I have looked at them on the internet and it DOES seem they step up… see…

• Input Voltage: 1.2V - 1.5V
  • Output Voltage: 5.7V ± 5%

How then… are we saying that ramped up voltage is too high for the clip.

You valued opinions would be most welcome folks…

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

@pinkfloydian wrote:

Thanks jkj1962!

I never knew those things were ferrite cores - I learned something there!

Dont think those AA battery chargers are supposed to give a great charge as they are meant for emergency puruposes only.  I think they will just make a device run.  Saying that though, my Snoy Ericsson K750i Mobile Phone battery is 3.6v and I have run that dead and charged with a 1.5v emergency charger before and got a full hour of phone runtime back.  I think those chargers are amazing and a great idea to keep in the car.  I also have an Energiser one with 2xAA batteries.

niko_sama

Thanks for the reply but think you misread a little mate.  The AC socket charger is 330mAh not 400mAh.  I understand that the USB would be 500mAh but what is the difference or possible damage for using lower mAh - I mean… would it just charge slower using 330mAh?

A lower current will not harm the player.   It just might not charge it as fast if its low on battery power.   Also i quoted the measurement wrong,  its milliamps,   not mAh.

You said I would need 5VDC and so not to use the emergency AA charger unless it is stepped up… well, I have looked at them on the internet and it DOES seem they step up… see…

• Input Voltage: 1.2V - 1.5V
  • Output Voltage: 5.7V ± 5%

How then… are we saying that ramped up voltage is too high for the clip.

I can only tell you what the spec says ^_^.   Sorry I can’t say if 6v would cause it damage.   I would hope not :)    But it’s something higher than the spec so I can’t advise.

You valued opinions would be most welcome folks…

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

I was being picky on the specs voltage.   I’m pretty sure it would work and I would try it on my own clip, if i wanted to extend the portable battery power.  But if you should do it , its at your own risk, as always.  Note:  I don’t work for Sansa.   And what I think doesn’t give you any guarantee.

niko,

The thing would go from the emergency phone charger then through a mini USB connector into the Clip.  I know USB is only 5v but as this woul dnot be directly attache dto a USB outlet I presume the USB connector would cope with and send more than 5v if that was what was output.  However, some of these emergency phone chargers seem to put out 7v and so there is NO WAY I would risk the clip until I am sure.  I will get my mates tester and check the voltage being out put by the  emergency charger and report back onto this thread.

Now here is the BIG can of worms.

I have already stated that the battery in my mobile phone is 3.6v and the emergency charger converts 1.5v to maybe 7v - well surely that is very VERY bad for the phone and lets face it - there are a heck of a lot of people walking around using those emergency chargers and therefore a heck of a lot of people possibly damaging there phones.  I think this is a big deal indeed.

This revelation is amazing to me and I would love to know if in fact all the items connected to these emergency chargers are getting ruined.

regards.

pinkfloydian

LOL,  not my can of worms :)   I’m sure there is some risk to shortening the battery life, but I can’t be bothered to read about it ><   Maybe someone else will answer :slight_smile: