FAQ: Using Your Sansa Clip with Your Mac, Including a Script for Exporting iTunes Playlists

jimag2  -

You’ve brought my attention to something I did not consider when developing my script. And after some brief consideration I’ve decided it would not be practical to build in conversion functionality to my script. In other words, it would not be practical to have my script convert non-MP3 playlist tracks to MP3 when it discovers it needs to copy such a track. It would not be practical for two reasons (off the top of my head): 1) I’m not certain the iTunes conversion software would be available to me to add such functionality to my script, and 2) the script execution would be cumbersome if it tried to convert protected files while processing the playlist.

But what I plan to do now that you’ve brought this to my attention is:

1. Update my Usage/Readme file to explicitly state the script will not do conversions

2. Update my script to detect for non-MP3 and then alert the user that the track will not be copied, and hence not included in the converted playlist.

I hope to get to these revisions within the next four days (from Mar 31). I will post an update notice on this forum when they have been implemented. I may change my thinking on this once I have the time to investigate it more; I can certainly see why this (the script not doing conversions) may not be a very satsifying solution.

Any further feedback or comment is welcome. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.