Equalizer settings

I’ve been waiting for a decent thread about this. I’m currently using Custom, Rock sounds like ■■■■ to me. 1st bar at +6, 2nd bar at +3, 3rd bar at +2, 4th bar at +4, 5th bar at +7. Sounds good to me, I initially had them all one more click up but it made some songs to distorted. This seems to be just about right. Mainly listening to Rock and some rap.

I haven’t tried the U shaped, 8,4,0,4,8 yet. Plan on giving it a whirl. Another thread mentioned using it at 9,-3,3,3,6 and the bass was way to muddy and distorted at times. If anyone else has suggestions I’d love to hear them.

JREwing, I tried your settings and they sound pretty good.  I wonder what the preset equalizer settings would look like if they were shown on the custom setting.  It’d be interesting to see what more people have their custom eqs. set to.

JREwing, I tried your settings and they sound pretty good.  It’d be interesting to see what more people have their custom eqs. set to.

I wonder what the preset equalizer settings would look like if they were shown on the custom setting.  The Pop one sounds like it’s underwater.

I’m a definite “Jazz” mode fan.  It works as a great all-around mode, from rock to classical. 

Bob

I find the Normal EQ setting pretty hard to beat… it’s got a good balance of lows/mids/highs. The Custom setting most def cuts the volume which is quite annoying and keeps me from using it except when very necessary. My $20 Koss earplugs are very decent for the price… tho i believe the Clip’s great audio is worthy of a much more sensitive (read: expensive) set. It’s also worthy of a much better implemented custom EQ (might i request this to the Sansa code developers?).

I’m new here, btw… greetings to everyone. I’ve been using a 2Gb Clip for many weeks and love it… so much so i’ve a 4Gb due to arrive any day now. I’m extremely picky about audio quality and the Clip is amazing.

The same as neutron_bob, Jazz mode is the only well-balanced mode, other modes are ■■■■ (including normal mode!). I only listen to hip-hop and it’s perfect for it. But most of the time i use my own custom setting, which is very close to the Jazz mode with a little more highs and a little less bass. If you want to try it set it up like that: +2/12 ; +2/12 ; -2/12 ; +6/12 ; +8/12

Message Edited by mobbaddict on 09-19-2008 06:05 PM

I use forum member BUC’s custom EQ, which you can search for around here, because, sadly, I don’t remember exactly what it is.  But, IMHO, it’s a great EQ that gave me a definite gain in volume.

All the best,

Brad

First of all, don’t mind my bad english. Second, I am a proud owner of 2G Sansa Clip and I just love it. The sound is excelent. I have tried some other MP3 players and I won’t say that they are bad but Clip is just a few steps ahead regarding sound quality (of course not with original headphones). Considering sound quality and the price we have here an absolute winner.

The Clip is excelent, but not perfect. We can make a product better only by analizing it and improving weak points.

I am an audiophile for about 25 years and I would like to make some simple observations about the Clip equalizer settings (I could hardly do some more than simple with my limpy english).

-Normal - well, it’s just normal; not much to say except maybe a little to much mids

-Rock - not bad to listen to bright recordings

-Jazz - excelent (could be a little bright on some material). Audiophile records with 320kbps sounds just awesome.

-Classical and Pop - total c**p (I would like to know if someone can really listening to music with these settings)

-Custom - here is the way to trim your own sound preferences. It would be nice to have 7 band equalizer to tweak the sound more precise (well, maybe with the next firmware).

I must say again - I just love my Clip and  that’s why I would like it to be even better. So here is my deal - I would erase Classical and Pop settings (why waste space on bad settings) and make ability for user to save one or two custom equalizer settings. Also, folder browsing would be a nice touch.

I totally co sign with you.

I’ve tried BUC’s setting and it’s ok but i think there’s too much medium, voices sound wrong. But otherwise you have a nice volume with this setting.

I prefer Jazz settings, but sometimes sounds like S, TS, CH, SH is too sharp and cut my ears. What frequency I need make a quieter. 

Sorry; I’ve been away for a while.

Yes; Jazz setting could be sharp on some material. Still, on well recorded music (Telarc, Blue Note, Sheffield Lab, etc) it sounds very good.

I was fooling around with custom settings trying to get as close as possible to Jazz equalizer and I think that I came pretty close. Then I’ve  added a click or two on lowest bass (first bar on left) and took a click on hights. So, here is my custom eq from left to right: +5 , -3 , +1 , +4 , +7 . If you still find it too agressive, lower click by click last two bars on the right. If you find it too heavy on bass go down a click or two on the first bar on the left.

The second bar from left (-3 in my case) is for upper bass region but it also affects the mids - don’t go to hight there.

The normal eq setting suppose to be flat - maybe it is, but it sounds to me like there is a slight ‘‘hill’’ in the middle of the equalizer and there is a bit of an echo too. Human ears are more sensitive to some frequencies, so flat doesn’t always sounds ‘‘flat’’.

Does the equalizer only work for Music? I have noticed that it does not work for the radio.  Is that the case for others?

I believe you are correct in that the EQ only works on music you’ve loaded onto the player. It _ does not _ work with the FM radio.

I use “U” custom with a little mid range. I have the bass and treble a little high.

Hi,

i’ve come up with a different EQ. Until recently i was using this custom EQ: +2 +1 0 +6 +8

It was ok but very close to the Jazz mode.

Now i’m using this one: +6 +2 0 +6 +12

It’s much more dynamic and open than the Jazz mode (i wouldn’t dare to compare it to the other modes…), i’m really satisfied with this setting, whichever headphone i may use (which includes my Westone IEM).

The EQ adjustment on the Clip(and Fuze), in general, you should only use it to compensate for subpar headphones. It definitely drops the volume when you use the Custom settings, at any rate. I almost always use the normal setting(perfect for KSC-75’s) The only preset that’s good is the Jazz mode, as several have mentioned. My Sony MDR-V150’s, on the other hand, are bassy and muddy, so…-2, -2, 0, +12, +12…looks extreme, but it’s the only way to balance them out…not the best $18 I ever spent, but I can’t wear the clip-ons all the time either:wink:

Well i get a much better sound with my Denon D1001 (which is not really a cheap headphone) and my custom EQ. And it’s also much more powerful than the normal mode! You simply have to add high like you do with your Sony headphone. Also it’s not a big deal if you lose volume when EQing, it’s the same on many audio players, it just prevents from saturation.

To me the flat EQ is just bad on the Clip, and the more i compare, the more i’m sure of that.

Message Edited by mobbaddict on 11-20-2008 05:07 AM

Recently I was playing with WM Player WOW effect. Then I start to compare the sound with the Clip and it seems to me that flat EQ on the Clip has some sort of WOW effect - it’s hard to notice but I think it’s there.

Is it just me or does anybody else can hear this?

Relly good settijngs befor i just turned them the same **bleep**ed up my ears and herd a ring untell now thanks

ryand8776;

would you be so kind and explain it in other words. My english a is little rusty.