Device not being recognised by XP

you have a misunderstanding of the drivers.

The drivers in use belong to microsoft. So SanDisk does not own the drivers to send them out. MTP (media transfer protol) is a microsoft standerd. It comes installed on any service pack 2, or possibly a windows media player 11 update. SanDisk probably doesn’t have permission to send them out on a CD or doesn’t want to pay for the rights to do so. Which makes sense, since they are available via microsoft sites.

MSC drivers (same thing that flash drives use) also comes pre-installed on any windows XP computer.

If your having trouble recognizing it because of drivers, I would say to try it on another computer and make sure your getting the same thing on various others computers. If you run into the same thing, then I would say its defective.

If it works on others computers, then its something about the drivers on your computer. Have you checked what it says in device manager? right-click my comptuer and select "manage from the drop down menu. From here we select device manager on the left and pane. The right hand pane should refresh. Does anything appear with a “?” or a “!”. if so what does it say? you can try right-clicking on it and selecting “update driver” and do so automaticlly ;when prompted to do so.