Deinstitutionalized Player, my computer can't find the music stored on the internal drive

I was recently released from the BOP (Bureau of Prisons), and I gladly paid the $25 to have the player deinstitutionalized. I got it back in the mail, and am very happy with the improvements, however, when I plug it into the computer, the computer can’t find the music that I have invested SO much money into having.  The player works fine.  I can listen to any songs that are on it, but I can’t find them with any software, including the software downloaded from Sansa. When I click on the player, in whatever program/browser, I get the same thing - folders that are empty.  It registers the used space, but doesn’t see ANY files.  Many of the albums available in the BOP were incomplete and I would like to ‘fill in the blanks’, but can’t find the blanks to fill.  Any help would be wonderful.  I paid my $95 (for the player AND to have it unlocked) PLUS around $1400 in songs, so it’s a pretty big deal to me to get access… Thanks in advance.

My guess is, this is a USB MSC-MTP mode issue.

Your player can be connected to your computer under either of 2 separate USB modes, MSC or MTP.  This is set under the player’s Settings.  (There is a 3rd option there, Auto detect, which will try to connect under MTP mode but then fall back to MSC mode, if needed.)  The reason this is important is, files transferred to the Clip under one USB mode can only be seen by your computer when the computer is connected under that same mode.  And so, for example, if songs are put on the player under USB MSC mode, if you later connect under MTP mode, the computer won’t see those files.  If you have set the player to one of the USB modes and always use that mode (MSC mode is the least problematic, under which the player is seen like a USB drive; however, MTP mode is needed for DRM-protected files), you’re fine.  If, however, you switch modes, “invisibility” issues.  And if you’re set to Auto detect, the computer can switch modes on you without you knowing it.

And so, best advice:  set the player to either MSC (recommended) or MTP mode and stay there, and stay away from the Auto detect setting. 

And if you’ve been set to one mode but want to switch to the other, and want to be able to see all your files on your computer, set the player to the earlier mode, transfer your music to your computer and delete them from the player, re-set the player to the new USB mode, and transfer the songs back. 

My guess is, this is a USB MSC-MTP mode issue.

Your player can be connected to your computer under either of 2 separate USB modes, MSC or MTP.  This is set under the player’s Settings.  (There is a 3rd option there, Auto detect, which will try to connect under MTP mode but then fall back to MSC mode, if needed.)  The reason this is important is, files transferred to the Clip under one USB mode can only be seen by your computer when the computer is connected under that same mode.  And so, for example, if songs are put on the player under USB MSC mode, if you later connect under MTP mode, the computer won’t see those files.  If you have set the player to one of the USB modes and always use that mode (MSC mode is the least problematic, under which the player is seen like a USB drive; however, MTP mode is needed for DRM-protected files), you’re fine.  If, however, you switch modes, “invisibility” issues.  And if you’re set to Auto detect, the computer can switch modes on you without you knowing it.

And so, best advice:  set the player to either MSC (recommended) or MTP mode and stay there, and stay away from the Auto detect setting. 

And if you’ve been set to one mode but want to switch to the other, and want to be able to see all your files on your computer, set the player to the earlier mode, transfer your music to your computer and delete them from the player, re-set the player to the new USB mode, and transfer the songs back. 

That did it.  Absolutely.  Now I feel like a tool for not asking for a month and trying to figure it out myself.  THANK YOU!!!

Great to hear!  And I do the same thing, and feel the same way, at times, sure there must be an obvious answer–hah!   :wink:

I need help finding the address to mail my player in to have the security features removed. Can anyone help me out?

Hey - I just saw the info today as I was going through some paperwork.  However, it is 50 miles away and I will not be near it until Sunday night around 6:00pm EST.  Feel free to give me a call, because I have no internet anywhere near the paperwork :frowning: ■■■■■, but I can get the address to you then. 801-450-0434 Ask for Patrick.

Hey, I’ll be working Sunday night. Work 5p-5a. If you can’t post it anytime soon, I can give you a call later this week. I really appreciate the help though.

No problem at all.  We’ve already been through enough.  :wink:

Probably not a good idea to list your phone number here on a public forum. :dizzy_face:

This sort of personal info and communications are best handled through pm’s (private messages) here.

SanDisk itself also may have this info.  http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

It’s wonderful that this worked for the original poster but in the same situation this is not working for us. For me, just out and did not pay to have the player deinstitutionalized so it will lock in 11 days. I checked all the settings and those do not exist, nothing like it, no MSC, no MTP, no auto detect. There are only settings like music options, repeat and shuffle. How can I find the type of settings you mentioned. Please help. Thanks so much.

Listen - it simply WILL NOT work until you pay the $25.00, but I must say, it is more than worth it.

-Send it off, pay the cash.

-When you get it back, in Settings, you go to USB.

-When you get there, you have three options, AutoDetect, MTP, and MSC. Choose anything other than Auto.

-If that doesn’t work, try the other option - but not Auto.

Then your player WILL WORK. Promise.

But I did try for a while, unsuccessfully, to crack into the player without paying to get it unlocked. Don’t know ANYONE who can do it. If you take it to RadioShack, they will send it off to Sansa, and it may very well cost you more. Just pay it. It’s worth it.

Thank you very much, will do that.

Hi… I need the address as well to send in my mp3… Can you help me with this?

Thanks

Here’s the SanDisk KnowledgeBase info. and links for deinstitutionalization of the Clip.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12839/~/atg-mp3-player-deinstitutionalization-and-warranty-processing

And here’s the direct link for the info.

http://www.corrlinks.com/MP3Reset/