Create playlist on a clip+

Newbie, here:  I’ve tried using WMP – my PC, which runs XP, still has the same WMP illustrated in the instructions, so it looked like a safe.  Instead, it’s been a real faff, as the instructions asked me to “Add a Folder”, whereas I just wanted to add songs on the player itself, and it wouldn’t let me.  In the end I copied all the music over to…well, a folder on my hard drive and entered that in the library.  But, for some reason, not all the albums appeared.  Which actually makes it kind of useless for creating a playlist from.  In the end I gave up and tried with Media Monkey, but no joy there, either, but I think that has something to do with my confusion over MTP vs MSC.  Whoever’d thought that trying to create a playlist would require a comp tech degree?  That right-clicking idea looks promising, but when you say “Right click on the songs” where do you mean?  Open each artist folder i the device, select the songs and right click on them?  Or is there a way of displaying them all in a list?

I’m getting severely frustrated with the whole process (I tried - and gave up – on playlists for my Cown X7 months ago) and of reading contradictory, fool-proof instructions that never work for me.  I’m really hoping I can crack this, though!