Clip+ won't accept song or album title edits

When I try to edit info in the title of a song or album on the Clip+ while connected to the PC it shows up correctly as long as it’s still connected to PC. When disconnected and viewed on the Clip+ it just shows up as a bunch of numbers and letters. If I make the edit on my PC first and then delete Clip+ entry and drag and drop PC edited version all is well. Any ideas?

What USB connection mode are you using, MTP or MSC? Sounds like you may be using MTP (or worse, Auto Defect) which can be problematic and give symptoms/scenarios as you describe.

From what I know, it should be on MTP mode since it will support features when using media players?

rhodesv,

You shouldn’t be giving advice when you don’t know what you are talking about.

In this case MTP is probably the problem, not the solution.

MTP sends the information through the mysterious guts of WIndows Media Player, which can change things for its own unknown reasons.

MSC is the direct USB connection–it treats the Sansa and card slot as two separate drives on your computer.

Unfortunately, songs sent over via MTP are not visible to the computer if the unit is switched to MSC mode. The computer only sees one mode at a time. Auto-Detect uses MTP if it detects WMP 10 or above, MSC otherwise. Better to choose MTP or MSC.

You don’t need Windows Media Player as intermediary unless you are using DRM (DIgital Rights Misery) files that include hidden codes sent through WMP. via MTP mode. With MSC you can just drag and drop files directly, edit them on the unit, etc.

But if you’ve sent your stuff over via MTP, you’d have to take it off the unit (via MTP), switch to MSC (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode) and send it over again via MSC.

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Sorry it took me a while to acknowledge your response, been gone for a few days. I have always set my Clip+ to auto detect as you thought. I really never knew what that pertained to and assumed auto detect would do what was needed. I notice that mt newer Sport Clip does not have a mode setting but I can edit entries internally and externally without the same issues I described in my Clip+. I really don’t use WMP with my Sansa stuff but the version I run for playback is WMP 12. So if I understand you correctly I should set the mode to MSC? At present my Clip+ is empty so I will experiment.

Thanks so much!

Beachromo

@beachromo wrote:

I notice that mt newer Sport Clip does not have a mode setting but I can edit entries internally and externally without the same issues I described in my Clip+.

That’s because the Clip Sport is an MSC mode-only model. No MTP, so no need for Auto. :wink:

Yes, use MSC on the Cip + and all your devices will operate the same way.

Got it…thx a bunch!

In general it is not a good idea to edit song information directly on the player, even if you use MSC mode. I had some issues when doing this. The best thing to do is to edit the copy on the pc, delete the copy on the player, then copy the file to the player again.

Agreed! Thx very much for the input…