Clip+ suddenly developed problems

This device has worked perfectly for months, but today I have tried, on two different computers, to delete some of the audiobooks that were on it and put some others on it.   No matter what I try, the books I wanted to delete still show up and most of the ones I tried to copy to it aren’t there.  It continues to show that there are still 1.3 GB of free space no matter what I do.  Does anyone have any suggestions for straightening out the device?  Thanks for any help. 

You can try changing the USB mode --Settings/System Settings/USB Mode–to both MSC and MTP and delete what you want to delete. Each mode reveals a different part of the Sansa storage to the computer–files transferred in MSC mode are only visible in MSC, ditto with MTP. If you changed computers, they may be connecting in a different mode than the one you sent the books with (probably MTP).  You need Windows Media Player 10 or above installed to use MTP.

If you’re using a Mac you have to empty the Trash before disconnecting. It might help to empty the Recycle bin in Windows before disconnecting as well. If you were using Windows in MTP mode, Mac won’t see your stuff because it doesn’t play nicely with Windows oriented devices.

Hi Viriginia, did toggling modes help here for you? Just curios.

@black_rectangle wrote:

You can try changing the USB mode --Settings/System Settings/USB Mode–to both MSC and MTP and delete what you want to delete. Each mode reveals a different part of the Sansa storage to the computer–files transferred in MSC mode are only visible in MSC, ditto with MTP. If you changed computers, they may be connecting in a different mode than the one you sent the books with (probably MTP).  You need Windows Media Player 10 or above installed to use MTP.

If you’re using a Mac you have to empty the Trash before disconnecting. It might help to empty the Recycle bin in Windows before disconnecting as well. If you were using Windows in MTP mode, Mac won’t see your stuff because it doesn’t play nicely with Windows oriented devices.

I tried that.  The books only show up in MSC.  None shows up in MTP.  I tell it to delete several books, it says it does, they disappear from the list, but if I disconnect it and then reconnect, those books show up in the list again.  If I try to copy a book to the Clip, it pretends it’s doing it for a minute, but nothing happens and eventually I get a message that I’m not allowed to do this, or it just sits there forever doing nothing.  I’d never changed the USB mode, so why would it have changed on its own?  I’m not using any version of Media Player.  I’ve always just used Windows Explorer.  

@fosterdrew wrote:
Hi Viriginia, did toggling modes help here for you? Just curios.

No, unfortunately.  Now I’m wondering if reformatting it would help.  

I have two Clips and both have performed just fine until this little episode.  The other one still is so I assume the computer is not at fault.  

I reformatted it.  It only takes a minute and solved all the problems.  Works like brand new now.