Clip is Full yet no music show on Screen

I need some help .  I downloaded the newest Firmware this am.   Fully Charged my clip.   Down loaded about 300-400 songs into the clip, via WMP 11, on Windows 2000 XP.   The Items on device, right handed side of the WMP 11 screen showed my music.   As I added things to the clip  the screen showed “WRITING”.   When I got all the music I wanted on the clip I dismounted it and it said “Refreshing Database”.  Now when I go to the music screen on the clip it shows I have 4 total songs.  These 4 are samples(I guess).  These 4 songs/artists/albums   1) are the only ones shown in the clip when I search it. 2) Are the only ones that play when I  “play all” or when I select out of albums/artist list.  When I replug my clip back into the PC and WMP 11 I get the list of music I downloaded in total as I wished.  I do not show either the mystery artist/songs/albums I have on the clip.   Where is my music?  Why isn’t it showing up on the clip under album or artist, like it does on the Right side/Items on Device section of WMP11?   QUESTION: 1) How do I get my music to show up on the artist/Album file in the clip?  2) How do I reset the clip and start all over?   Any Suggestions?  Thanks, Jim.

Hi … not sure if I have your answer, just a question and a suggestion:

“1) are the only ones shown in the clip when I search it.”

What do you mean by “search it”?  If you mean, using Windows Explorer, then those four songs were copied to the Clip in MSC mode, not MTP mode (not via WMP11).  Songs copied to the Clip via MTP mode shouldn’t be visible in Windows Explorer.  Do you know if they are among the songs you tried to sync to the Clip using WMP11?

“2) How do I reset the clip and start all over?   Any Suggestions?  Thanks, Jim.”

I’d suggest reformatting the Clip, and then attempting to sync again.  On the Clip, select “Settings” and then “Format”.  Before you do this, make sure you have all your songs backed up on your PC’s hard disk (I assume you already do, but just to be sure …).

PromisedPlanet:   Thanks for your rep[ly. I was quite frustrated there was no solution to my problem, ie I had a terminal event.  Youre probably right the 4 mysterious , aka sample, songs do not appear on the WMP !1 screen which says Items on the device.   I have all my music permanently on the PC.   I’m assuming  (Making an ass of U and Me) that I’ll have to reload all the songs post reformatting.  Here goes, wish me luck. Thanks again, Jim

Promised Planet:

No the 4 mystery/sample (my guess) songs are NOT any of the songs I had downloaded to the clip.   Sounds accurate to me they were loaded in an UMS?MSC format and hence hidden to MTP Windows/WMP11 review.  Thanks again, Jim

PromisedPlanet:

I did as you suggested and  The clip asked me if I really wished to format it and I chose YES.   Then it said reformatting and did it’s thing.   I went back to music and it showed both Artists and Albums EMPTY.   It looks like I lost those 4 mystery songs, too (YAHOO).   So now I apparently have a Tabla Rasa and will start reloading my songs. What a hassle, but if I get music on it to play I’ll be one happy ol geaser.   My family will cancel the 2 boys from Chi town who were flying in to put me out off everyones misery. If I wasn’t of the wrong gender I’d be diagnosed as PMS induced hysteresis. My apologies to the fairer sex.   This time I’LL load a couple of albums  and check it ou before I do the whole 2 GB.   You’re a life saver, Jim

jimhughes wrote:

PromisedPlanet:

I did as you suggested and  The clip asked me if I really wished to format it and I chose YES.   Then it said reformatting and did it’s thing.   I went back to music and it showed both Artists and Albums EMPTY.   It looks like I lost those 4 mystery songs, too (YAHOO).   So now I apparently have a Tabla Rasa and will start reloading my songs. What a hassle, but if I get music on it to play I’ll be one happy ol geaser.   My family will cancel the 2 boys from Chi town who were flying in to put me out off everyones misery. If I wasn’t of the wrong gender I’d be diagnosed as PMS induced hysteresis. My apologies to the fairer sex.   This time I’LL load a couple of albums  and check it ou before I do the whole 2 GB.   You’re a life saver, Jim

Hi Jim;

I’m not a lifesaver until you are able to sync songs to your Clip successfully.  :wink:

Keep me posted (pun intended) …

PromisedPlanet:

You get 10 Gold Stars on your report today.  At first WMP11 wouldn’t recognize the clip. So I reformatted the clip again, charged it for 3 hours, and reinstalled WMP 11.  Gave myself 5-6 hours or roaming the house like a lion with a thorn in all 4 feet, repordedly making everyones Sunday miserable. Then I came back and gave it another go.  This time WMP11 had a screen similar to old WMP10 which I liked. Showing album art etc.   Well I got the little beggar loaded up and they show under the Album choice on the Clip Screen.  So I am one happy kamper.   Thank you so very much for saving my clips functionality and changing my fecal outlook on life.

As you are undoubtedly the Wizzard of Clips can you take a SWAG at this.   WMP !! failed to put some of my music on the clip.  It showed “Error” post  syncing. Sometimes a whole album, sometimes a couple of cuts on an album, sometimes 1/2 the album.  Of course it was on my favorites, Royal Crown Revue, Lilly Wilde, Quinn Lemley, BBVD, Brian Setzer, etc. Now all of these are from my CD file ripped into the PC.  None are purchased on line.   All of these have been in the past loaded to my two Sony Big Box units (NWA-1200 and NWA-HD5) or two my Mobilblu Cubes (1 and 2 GB), and my Klegg Mini.   Neither the sonic Stage nor thw WMP 10 programs showed errors, they just shoved the music in the player no sweat.  I know I ought to have different music on different players not the same music on all players.  I know I need to get off my FAT tail and rip the other 100-150 neo/retro swing albums I’ve got on CD’s and put the new music on different players.  I’m weird that way, not to mention do I really need a half a dozen different players. Probably not.  But excluding my eccentricity, any thoughts why I got Error on some ripped CD’s today when I haven’t in the past?  Let me know what you think. Thanks again, I am indebted to you big time, Jim

Jim;

Glad I half-saved your Sunday!

Re the errors … I don’t use WMP, but if I remember correctly, one can hover over or maybe click on the “Error” and either see more information on the error, or be presented with a link that will invoke your browser o’choice and display a Microsoft webpage which will give more information on the error.  Try it out!  Keep in mind that the Sansa Clip supports MP3, WMA, WAV and Audible files only (which most likely covers your songs, but who knows, you could be one of those Libertarianish people who insist on Ogg Vorbis).

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-18-2007 07:09 PM

PromisedPlanet:

Your assistance will spread the joy. I had ordered my mate a clip for Xmas.  When I couldn’t get mine to work, I had second thoughts about the appropriateness of the gift. He’s a kids librarian, so works with computers all day, and is no doubt infinetly more computer literate, than I.   But I was concerned he might have issues getting it up and running like I did, and I knew (prior to your guidance) I wasn’t up to  providing him assistance.  Your help has salvaged that gift for my bud’s XMas.  Jim

I get some weird problems in WMP that are no fault of Sansa.  It seems that often I can’t drag a full album over to the sync tab and get all the songs.  If I try to do that, only about half the songs come over.  But, if I “open” the album in WMP and either drag them one by one (tedious) or even highlight them all and then drag them, THEN they all show up.  I think it’s a Windows thing…

(Just bought a Clip to replace my husband’s lost c250 and am playing with it now.)

Xar

xarophti wrote:

I get some weird problems in WMP that are no fault of Sansa.  It seems that often I can’t drag a full album over to the sync tab and get all the songs.  If I try to do that, only about half the songs come over.  But, if I “open” the album in WMP and either drag them one by one (tedious) or even highlight them all and then drag them, THEN they all show up.  I think it’s a Windows thing…

(Just bought a Clip to replace my husband’s lost c250 and am playing with it now.)

Xar

If the songs aren’t DRM-protected, you may want to try MediaMonkey instead … http://www.mediamonkey.com

I’ve also used Winamp in the past, and liked it quite a bit.  http://www.winamp.com … it may be less limited in dealing with DRM-protected songs than MediaMonkey is.  But they both are more useful for general music manager functions than WMP, in my opinion.